Flashes of light in my peripheral vision.

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by JEFE, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I keep getting these flashes of light in my peripheral vision, almost always in the upper half of my field of view. If it was a clock, I'd see them at 10 or 2. Around that area.

Does anybody else get this. I'm wondering if it's eye-strain because of looking at a monitor so much.

2. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

I used to get Halos around light objects from Improper eyeware when blowing glass. It got bad to the point, I would have green discharge from my eyeducts. I can get you some eyeware, if you want it

3. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Does it go away when you drink 10-12 beers?

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I get that sometimes, but I am 'crazy' so you might ignore me. Mine is more like quick flashes in my eye.

WORST CASE:
    You could have some retinal detachment. A former eye doc told me that I had long rods? and that if I ever saw flashes of light to go to the ER. You might seriously want to get your eyes checked. You don't want to end up blind in one fucking eye.

I always fail my eye pressure tests... come to find out that I have thick corneas. Totally unrelated to flashes of light, but I thought I would share that with everyone.

http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/retinaldetach/index.asp

Or, you may have some sort of migraine.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I used to get shadowy spots in my vision. To the point where I would have to pull over as to not wreck my car. I quit acid and weed and it went away. Of course everynow and then if I sleep in on a sunday morning and look up at the ceiling I could swear it was moving......

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That shit comes back to haunt me too, I swear.

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

No. Dick.

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I went through a spell of having a specific kind of migraine every once in a while that caused vision loss. It always started on my peripheral vision. And it would look like a sparkle. Like as if a piece of glitter were tumbling in mid air. That’s how it would start and it would grow in size. Then I would start feeling nauseous, then the headache would kick in.

The doctor explained that blood vessels around the optic nerve were restricting it. He proscribed Cafergot. (I probably spelled it wrong) which is a medicine that restricts blood vessels. The headaches would start to go away as also the vision issues within 15 or so minutes after taking it. In the mean time I would find a dark closet to sit in. Cause that helped.

I kept a full script around and a few pills in each glove box as well as some at work for years. Because those headaches hurt like hell.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Flashes of light: These apparent bursts of light can be small, bright pin-point objects, sparkles, zig-zag patterns or even appear like a lightning storm. The phenomena has one root cause: non-optical stimulation of the retinal photoreceptors.

This event may occur from traction on the retina from PVD (see above) or a loss of blood supply to the neurological tissue, such as in transient ischemia or retinal detachment. Transient ischemia is the blockage of an artery (actually arteriole, a smaller b ranch vessel) supplying a part of the retina. The blockage can occur as a result of a clot or embolus lodged in the vessel. It also may be caused by a spasmodic constriction of a small vessel similar to what occurs during migraine.

The difference between ophthalmic migraine and the more serious embolism event and retinal detachment is that the visual disturbances associated with migraine transient ischemia always resolve within a few minutes, and almost never more than about twenty minutes (rare ly up to 40 minutes). There can be visual field disturbances such as zig-zag, shimmering or wavering images. It is often, but not always followed by the typical migraine headache and nausea. On the other hand, the visual field effects caused by embolisms and retinal detachment related flashes don't stop and often become increasingly more noticeable with time. The visual field disturbances are more clearly areas of gray or dark blind spots.

Any flashing light or visual disturbance that lasts more than twenty to forty minutes is considered an ocular emergency and requires immediate medical attention.

It is always wise to consult with an eye doctor when visual disturbances indicate a potentially serious problem. Very often these are warning signs which relate to not only eye problems, but other systemic pathology and disease. These include: hypertensio n (high blood pressure), arteriosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"), sickle cell disease, impending heart attack or stroke, and other serious conditions. Examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist may determine if further referral or trea tment is indicated. Intervention and treatment can help prevent permanent and significant damage.

also see : http://www.agingeye.net/visionbasics/flashesandfloaters.php

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Ok one more cause this guy described it better as a point that would grow with the colorful zig zag line around the border.

Migraines are more prevalent in the 25 to 44 years age group, with females being affected 2.5 times more frequently than males. Classic migraine has three distinct phases: a prodromal phase, a headache phase, and a resolution phase. Several visual symptoms appear during the prodromal phase of migraine. Read Managing Migraines for treatment of migraines.
    The most common visual aura in the prodromal phase is the scintillating scotoma. 'Scintillating' means 'sparkling flashes' and 'scotoma' means 'a non-seeing area'. It usually begins as a shimmering arc of white or colored lights. The arc of light gradually enlarges, becomes more obvious, and may take the form of a definite zig-zag pattern. On occasion, this is preceded or followed by a spreading zone of visual loss. Even if there is no identifiable area of visual loss, the disturbance of vision created by the scintillating scotoma may make reading and driving difficult. Scintillating scotoma may also be accompanied by mild feelings of dizziness or vertigo. The zig-zag appearance may become so pronounced that the term "fortification spectrum" may be applied because of the resemblance to the ground plans of a fort (view the scintillating scotoma animation). Sometimes the visual symptoms appear as a "ball of light" in the center of the visual fields which obscures vision to a great degree. These visual phenomenon may last 20 to 30 minutes.
    Migraine flashes are usually caused by a spasm of blood vessels in the brain. If a headache follows the flashes, it is called a migraine headache. However, visual phenomenon can occur without a headache. In this case, the light flashes are called ophthalmic migraine, or migraine without headache.

11. Disorder

Disorder New Member

Have you ever done any drugs? You get residual white flashes in your vision if youve taken something like Amphetamine in your past.

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

"It's not a tumor" (in best ahnarld voice)

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I'm getting some yellow flashes of light on the screen when I go through this thread.

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Originally Posted by Joeslogic
    http://eugeneeyecare.com/conditions/..._Migraine.html

Starts as a tiny pinpoint sparkle and can grow in diameter.

It takes ~15 min to go from Lebanon, TN to Hermitage TN. Once I left a friends house in Lebanon to go home because I felt one coming on. By the time I was making it to my house I could only see out of the right side peripheral vision of my right eye. Imagine me sitting at a red light behind a car waiting for it to turn green with my head cocked way to the left almost looking behind the car just to see if it was clear to get through the intersection.

Scary shit man get it checked out.

Some people do not get the headaches. I unfortunately did. I had maybe in all 6 of those in my lifetime and carried those pills around for about five years after.

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

With heavy drug use, you might experience 'tracers' - little dots of light that travel across your field of vision (not your entire field, but enough to attract your attention). Like Dis said, it's most common with amphetamine use, but is possible with most any stimulant (including prescription meds, not limited to diet pills). I've had them in the past, but unfortunately, "we weren't operating in a controlled environment" (translated = I don't know which drug did it).

16. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Uh oh!

i cna;lt swee anywemo i wewnt to the doctri and age siad trhate i was fucke d and tadt i shoudl habe liszetnd to aeveryone epsically naysegs becases she is ethe smatryed perosnbw here espcualy when it comes to heatje mayyetrs i aprpecure ebryrpnes conecebn. i an goung to have a unouque procedsure that indvlves ususing tge retiaba of a man who was just leathaly injected and try to tregain my bision

17. Nursey

Nursey Active Member

As luck would have it, i won a competition yesterday. I had entered about 100, feeling that i would be bound to win at least one of them. And have. The one i really hoped i wouldn't. (You earned 'tokens' for every competition entry). So i am hereby willing to donate nearly $2000 worth of laser eye treatment (for one eye) to............Jeffy!

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

One eye? He will look quite 'studly' riding around on his motorcycle with an eye patch!

If the applicant is totally blind in one eye and has at least 20/40 in the other eye, the Administration may issue the applicant a restricted license, endorsed "any motor vehicle which the holder drives shall have a properly placed rear view mirror and, 11 on each side of the vehicle, an outside, side view mirror"

If the applicant is totally blind in one eye and has less than 20/40 but at least 20/70 in the other eye, the Administration may issue the applicant a restricted license, endorsed both as provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection and "daylight driving only".

Are you going to pay the £60 deposit or is poor Jeffy gonna have to pay 81.02 USD? You might end up with a dollar and some lint if you have him pay.

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Hopefully you can win him a nicer eye patch.

Attached Files:

20. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member