cheapest best beer

Discussion in 'Drinking' started by Bamboozle, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bamboozle

Bamboozle New Member

What's the cheapest best beer that you have drank?

2. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Define cheap.

It really depends on where you are and what you're buying.

If you live right next door to The Odell brewery in Fort Collins, Colorado then Odell's Nitro IPA is cheap at the brew pub. That is easily the best beer I've ever had, regardless of cost.

A lot of the Trappist beers are just ridiculously overpriced.

Consumer reports will tell you that Natural Light is the best beer for the money but that stuff is just like water.

It all depends on what you like and what your idea of 'cheap' is.

Green Flash Brewery's Extra Pale Ale is only like 9 bucks for a 6-pack and it might be one of the most flavorful 'light' ales I've tried.

If you're looking for an awesome 4 dollar 6 pack you're just never going to get anything good.

Beer costs money to make. Hops are getting more and more expensive. Malted barley is relatively cheap but to make a flavorful beer you need a lot of it.

Giant commercial breweries like Anheiser Busch use rice and other junk as a substitute and, if that's what you like, then there's your answer.

It really all depends on what you think tastes good.

A better question is, what is the best beer YOU've ever tasted?

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I think the original question was "what's the most cost-effective means to an end?" (I could be wrong.)

If you're looking to get trashed on the cheap, I'd recommend either Steel Reserve or Hurricane. Both are 8.1%, sold in both 24oz cans and 40oz bottles. (The bottles taste better, btw.)

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Free beer is mighty good tasting beer sometimes. At Bush Gardens with my wife and her parents we went to the brewery tour. If you were old enough you got a ticket worth two beers or maybe it was two tickets. Anyway the wife and her mom did not want theirs. So going in I got to gulp down six beers. Then at the end of the tour it makes a big circle I slipped under the divider and got back in line for two more tickets. I cannot remember what I drank but it was hot that day and the beer was good.

But the Magical Merlin the Magician Adventure ride about 30 minutes later was not so good.

5. Bamboozle

Bamboozle New Member

I'm talking about commercial cheap beer.

I kinda like Pabst Blue Ribbon.

6. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I have offically quit drinking forever (again). Part of the reason is that a local beach hangout has live music and $1 PBR everyday. PBR is dang good cheap beer.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

PBR was a few years back in Nashville the "trendy" beer to order.

Micky Big Mouth beers. I remember those were cheep and a few would get you drunk quick. Have not drank one in years.

What do ya know still around. different bottle and lid.

8. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Well, in that case I have to vote for Natty Boh.

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Is Zima beer? I used to drink that a lot. I thought it tasted like the smell of roses.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

For those of you that hail from places that name their radio and television stations starting with a "W" instead of a "K" (which is a majority of y'all, I believe) - Yuengling is a pretty damn good brand. Wish it were readily available west of the Mississippi.

11. GAS

GAS New Member

That's kinda funny you say that about Pabst, whenever I go to Detroit for a show all the hipsters/scenesters/etc. drink Pabst. It's the "cool cheap beer" to drink now it seems.

And my vote goes to Keystone Light for best cheap beer.

12. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

I dont usually drink any beer but Corona. But thanks to IKE and some scared inlaws hauling ass to Oklahoma. I'am drinking Busch,but surprisingly its not that bad. And even better, its 6point, we just dont get that here in Oklahoma.(Unless I go the liquor store for Corona).
    So for now Busch is my vote for good cheap beer....

13. moremetal4mepls

I must be a light weight now a days, cause this cheapest best 6 point Busch beer sure has done a number on my double visioned ass! And I've only had 4
    Must be gettign old, cant hang like I use to!! Damn shame....:frown:

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

For some reason I was thinking you lived in Beaumont. Yeah domestics are allowed a higher content in TX maybe its the high Indian population in OK cannot have those Injuns getting to strong a fire water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

OK : 4.0% ABV/3.2 ABW or higher only sold at room temperature in liquor stores, Liquor Stores closed on Sundays and some holidays. As of 2007, liquor stores are now open on election days.

TX: No alcohol cap but ABV > 15.5% requires additional license, so many places are beer/wine only.
    Wet/dry issues determined by city/county election.
    Liquor stores statewide closed all day Sunday.
    An alcoholic beverage served (on-premise) to a customer between 10 a.m. and noon on Sunday must be provided during the service of food to the customer.

15. moremetal4mepls

I lived 1960& I-45 for several years before they started putting razor wires on the apartment complex fences.
    And your right. We have an extremely high India population in Oklahoma.
    Hell 80% of my patients are Indians with kidney failure due to alcohol abuse.

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Actually, designated "Bars" can still sell drinks up until 2 AM, the typical cut-off time, even on a Sunday. Trust me on this one.

The only exception to this rule is that on Saturdays, an extra hour is granted (on all fronts, except liquor stores) - This means, you can purchase and consume alcohol (typically 14% and under) until 3 AM, instead of 2 AM, at a bar or food establishment that sells alcoholic beverages meant for consumption on premises. Retailers are allowed an extra hour to sell said beverages until 1 AM, instead of 12 AM, and this applies to convenience/grocery stores. But... Only on Saturdays. The 12/2 rule applies for every other day of the week.

*hiccup*

17. Motherforquer

Motherforquer New Member

That stuff's not bad. Being from Baltimore, I'm partial to National Bohemian, though they don't brew it locally anymore.

18. 1000fuckedwrld

1000fuckedwrld New Member

yeah and there 2.5o apiece for the 40s

19. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I think the most important aspect was the hiccup.

I didn't know about that Sunday law you mentioned until tonight (when I read it slightly more sober than the other night.)