Bought my 8th Genesis today

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Lomotil, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Shit. I've gone completely off the deep end. I found a GenesisII/SegaCD combo today at a thrift store, and I couldn't help it... The only SegaCD I had is built-in to my CDX. So now I have a US Genesis I, a Jap MegaDrive I, 4 Genesis II's, a Nomad, & a CDX. Oh, and a 32X and now a SegaCD II.

And, yes... most of these systems were acquired dirt cheap.

2. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

You may have gotten a good deal on the systems but good luck finding any decent games...

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I think I've got the gaming end covered, although there's still a few I'd like to get... I've been keeping a list on the computer of all my game systems/games... here's the Genesis/CD/32X portion of it:

Genesis – (85)

Japanese Imports:

Altered Beast
    Space Harrier II
    Super League (Tommy Larossa Baseball in the USA)
    World Cup Soccer
    Rambo III
    Super Hang-On
    Last Battle
    Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
    Super Masters (Arnold Palmer Golf in the USA)
    Phantasy Star II
    “Unknown game name?”
    The Super Shinobi (The Revenge of Shinobi in the USA)
    Evander Holyfield’s “Real Deal” Boxing
    Thunder Force II
    Herzog Zwei

US Games:

Altered Beast
    Last Battle
    Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
    The Revenge of Shinobi
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    Ghostbusters
    Strider
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
    Columns
    Flicky
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football
    Decap Attack
    Kid Chameleon
    Alisia Dragoon
    Taz-Mania
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Lightening Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic 2 (two copies, one unopened)
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic Spinball
    X-Men
    Eternal Champions
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Landstalker
    Ranger-X
    Triple Score (3 games in 1: Columns, Super Hang-On, & World Championship Soccer )
    Gunstar Heroes
    Aladdin
    Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy’s Invention
    Gaiares
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Zombies Ate my Neighbors
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Predator 2
    Alien 3
    Shadow of the Beast
    The Immortal
    Haunting: Starring Polterguy
    Slaughter Sport
    Pit-Fighter
    NBA JAM
    College Slam
    Mortal Kombat
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Street Fighter II’ - Special Champion Edition
    Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
    Saturday Night Slam Masters
    King of the Monsters 2
    Batman
    Beauty and the Beast: Roar of the Beast
    Out of this World
    Madden ‘94
    NHL ‘94
    Hardball ‘95
    Robocop 3
    The Lost Vikings
    Nigel Mansell’s World Championship Racing
    Winter Olympic Games: Lillehammer ‘94
    Thunder Force III
    Wimbledon Championship Tennis
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Cool Spot
    Virtua Racing
    Heavy Nova

Sega CD: (35)

Snatcher
    NBA JAM
    Sonic CD
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Silpheed
    Double Switch
    Dracula Unleashed
    Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
    Bram Stoker’s Dracula (x 2)
    The Terminator
    Chuck Rock II – Son of Chuck
    Dune
    Microcosm
    Rise of the Dragon
    Stellar Fire (x 2)
    Mansion of the Hidden Souls
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Earthworm Jim
    SoulStar
    Cliffhanger
    Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
    Corpse Killer
    Ground Zero: Texas
    Mad Dog McCree
    Sega Classics: Arcade Collection
    Final Fight CD
    Make my Video: Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (It was free)
    Power Factory: C+C Music Factory (Ditto)
    Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective
    Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective 2
    Sewer Shark (x 2)
    Sol-Feace

32X: (10)

Knuckles Chaotix
    Mortal Kombat II
    Doom
    Star Wars Arcade
    Golf Magazine Presents: 36 Great Holes: Starring Fred Couples
    Virtua Racing Deluxe
    Cosmic Carnage
    Metal Head
    RBI Baseball ‘95
    Shadow Squadron

4. Matthew

Matthew New Member

I remember when sega cd came out. It came with this really horrible game, where you pilot this ship through the sewers shooting rats and various sewer shit. Then we bought some flight simulator game which was kinda cool, except basically all you did was push one button, you had to time when the cursor went over a plane you were chasing to shoot a missle at. My little brother got some money for his birthday and bought the 2 worst games I have ever played. Music video makers for Marky Mark and the funky bunch, and Kris Kross.... they were horrible. They released a series of horrible games, then came echo the dolphin. The only decent game for sega cd. It had awesome graphics (for the time) and was a fun game to play. There was really no point to this thread except to take a trip down memory lane and to bore you all with my story. I miss toe jam and earl.

5. unlimited-time

unlimited-time Active Member

Toe jam and earl!!! I loved them.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Matthew: You're thinking about Sewer Shark and probably Cobra Command (A lousy scaled-down version of a lousy early 80's LaserDisc arcade game)...

As far as the Ecco games go, they were the same games as the Genesis versions, but with (what I thought to be) fucking amazing music (done in Qsound). There were a few other great games for the SegaCD, and by far the best game EVER for it was Snatcher. Others that come to mind: SonicCD (More like the original Sonic, in terms of gameplay and mechanics, but much better), Silpheed, Rise of the Dragon, the Lunar games, and Final Fight CD.

7. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unlimited-time:
    Toe jam and earl!!! I loved them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet another one on the 'get list'...

8. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Another great game for the genesis was Spiderman (i think vs. Kingpin)

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'll have to keep an eye out for it... In fact, it gives me an idea for a new thread...

10. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

I remember when I got Sega CD. When it first came out it attached to the original Sega unit. I think later on they made it a seperate unit, but I don't remember. I guess that's what evolved into Dreamcast?

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Disorder:
    (honkey knows the name)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I don't remember the 'name' of it, but according to the instruction book, there's 6 different weapons: flame unit, seeker mine, seeker falcon, seeker charge, plasma blast, & proton storm.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>
    street fighter II (obviously, although the snes version was far superior due to the 6 buttons(a,b,x,y,l,r) whereas the genesis only had 3(a,b,c))
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa... you never played a MegaDrive game with the 6-button controller?!? Didn't they have those over there? Hell, even Ranger-X 'recommends' using one with that game, you can control the little cycle with the top three buttons while still jumping and firing with the bottom row...

12. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FredVegas:
    I remember when I got Sega CD. When it first came out it attached to the original Sega unit. I think later on they made it a seperate unit, but I don't remember. I guess that's what evolved into Dreamcast?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First version piggybacked under the Genesis, and was as wide as it was. To cut costs, they released a new version of the Genesis and SegaCD's that would fit side-by-side, and instead of a drawer-loading CD player, it was a cheaper flip-top version. That's the model I just got the other day.

Even later, Sega licensed the Genesis hardware to a third party and they came out with the "Genesis 3" which is tiny as fuck, but won't work with the 32X or SegaCD...

There are also other versions of the Genesis, one that's a 3-in-1, Genesis/SegaCD/Portable CD player, and a completely self-contained Genesis styled like the GameGear portable. It's got a much better LCD screen than the GG, a port for a second controller, and even a port to hook it up to your teevee.

The only things I'm missing in my collection now are the first Sega CD model (with the motorized drawer), and the Genesis 3.

As for 'evolving' into the Dreamcast... I'd have to say that their arcade hardware was more involved than previous home consoles. Sega always built their home systems based on their arcade hardware at the time. Also, there was another system released between the Genesis and DC, the Saturn - PSX's main competetor back in the day.

Go here for a great history, and some pics of different units. I tried linking the pics, but the board bitched about linking a pic or url with parenthesis in it... go fig..

13. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Reverend Honkey Kong:
    Whoa... you never played a MegaDrive game with the 6-button controller?!? Didn't they have those over there? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah of course they had them.. and playing sf2 was far superior on a megadrive with a 6 button pad due to the authentic button layout.. (i hate shoulder buttons)

14. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

AND it was sf2 special champion edition.. where you could crank up the game speed

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Gameplay-wise, yeah... Genesis version was better. Plus, I can take both SFII Genesis games on the road with the Nomad...

The second SNES game, 'SFII Turbo' was released within a month or two of the Genesis release, and with that one, you could crank up the speed to be just as fast as the Genesis version (I think you had to use a code to get it really fast) - But shortly afterwards, Capcom released the code for the Genesis version that let you crank the speed up to ten stars, I believe...

They also made a few different 'authentic' styled 6-button SNES controllers, too... I never got one, but always wanted 'em.

16. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote
    the piggybacked/motorized drawer style was the one I had. It might still be at my parents house. If it is, it's probably in great condition cause we hardly ever used it. I'll have to check for ya.

17. Disorder

Disorder New Member

my favourite game on the genesis(megadrive to us) was RangerX, although not many people know it, i think it was one of the best looking and playing games of its time. it was anime style with a cool little robot suit that you could control, there was also this bike thing that followed you around and you could jump on it, push down and 'merge' with it so you could change your secondary weapon.

that one where you get two kids that go round shooting stuff, you could get 2 different weapon types and combine them into a third (like green is a homing type cannon, and red is the flame thrower, you get a homing-flamer), or take 2 of the same and get a super version of that variety(honkey knows the name), it also had cool 'in-between' subgames with a dice.
    street fighter II (obviously, although the snes version was far superior due to the 6 buttons(a,b,x,y,l,r) whereas the genesis only had 3(a,b,c))

i played too many others to remember..

18. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Sweet deal! I toyed around with my model 2 today, couldn't get it to work (yet)... I got *some* signs of life out of it, most notably a quick flash of the LED light when I powered it up... Couldn't get the mofo to actually boot up, though. I'll have to take it apart again (first time was to clean it) and see if I can't figure out WTF is wrong with it... If I can't get it working, no biggie. I mainly wanted it for the collection, if I ever want to play a CD game, I'll just use the CDX.

Also, a friend of mine (who gave me all of his old video game shit, an NES, 15 games, 2 controllers, about 10 Genesis games, and a complete GameGear system w/ case & 10 games) says he's got a model 2 SCD that he's gonna bring over sometime... Maybe if I get his working, I can take both apart and compare, maybe see if anything's in the wrong place, disconnected, etc...

19. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

You're like the pimp of video games Rev...

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I swear, they're my only fucking passion in this world...

Well, that and beer... and drugs... and hot rods... and air-cooled volkswagen dunebuggies... and hookers...