Bloody Wolf

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Fernando, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

My friend gave me a suggestion to download it from Wii's VC. I did, and am I ever glad. Few games today have the story of "The president's been kidnapped, here's a gun, fuck shit up". And that's literally all you do in the game, shoot the ever living crap out of waves and waves of faceless nazis.

Game play
    It's a mix of Contra, with the absurd amount of carnage and limited health bar, and Metal Gear, with weird bosses that usually have some gimmick to them. That's really the best way to describe it as the game kind of centers around the fact that you just have to destroy what ever is in your way, it's a very manly game. The game gets more 90's by making a motorcycle a power up and making it so you can drive said motorcycle into buildings. With the main machine gun, made easier with the Turbo-Grapix 16's turbo button, you also get grenades which can take out many soldiers at once. The soldiers are actually very varied as well too. There are regular grunt, grenade grunts, red ones with the incentive to run up and stab you, machine gunners, super soldiers, armored ones that can only be taken out with a knife, motorcycle hippies, and even yellow ones that try and commit suicide by blowing up in your face. The game has so many fucking soldiers though that it actually causes the game to slowdown. I once counted 22 fucking soldiers on the screen, half of which were shooting at me. Luckily, with your various upgrades, like a spread gun like shotgun and absurd machine gun bazooka, these guys usually go down pretty fast.

Sound
    Usually with older games, the soundtrack is nothing special. This is not the case with bloody wolf. It's very obnoxious and makes you feel like your Rambo out to rape a virgin or something. It just explodes off the screen and a lot of the time I was tapping my toe along with the beat until the music was over shadowed by me yelling at the fact that most of the bosses will beat you down 3 times before you even realize what you are supposed to do.

The first sub boss in the game, simply named "Shotgun Man"

Presentation and Style
    As the above images show, it makes you feel like your in a jungle camp fighting off waves and waves of dumb ass soldiers. There is actually a lot of platforming involved though. One level has you rafting down a river, others have you jumping over logs and one that will drive you mad has you drudging through a swamp killing scuba divers. It's not a simple run and gun and the effort shows. I can't say much about them, since defending a game with 16 bit graphics is harder than it seems as every explosion looks exactly the same, but for it's time, I bet people were shitting bricks when they saw the amount of people on the screen at once. There is even a free roaming stage that requires you to find 16 hostages, complete with a knife fight with a crazy Japanese guy.

Yes, hostages, as seen on the roof, do all look like Hitler

Re playability
    It's only 8 levels, but they are all very fun and challenging. Your likely to come back just to beat it in an afternoon or to take out a submarine with a machine gun to make you feel more like a man. I can at least see myself coming back to it to play the fast mode, which apparently makes the bosses harder.

God damn I hate Nazis

Overall
    It's 6 fucking dollars. Takes about a minute to download and will have you smiling the whole way through, while it is short, it is fun.

8/10

2. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Can you play that using the Wii remote? I may give it a try in a few months.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

Yup, just turn it sideways. Takes a bit to figure out the - button throws grenades though.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

That's a great fucking review. Keep 'em coming...

I've never played the game, but I was thinking "Rambo III" gameplay when I read the title. I probably should've picked up that game back in the day (I only had a dozen or so games for the T-16, and never a TG-CD unit...)

Ninja Spirit forever, mang!

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

So... Do it here, then! :)

7. Fernando

Fernando Member

can't get advertisement money here lol