Best Stephen King story done as a film?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by chester grape, Feb 12, 2006.

1. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Sure, Green Mile and Misery were great, but it has to be The Shining, surely.

2. diogenes

diogenes New Member

That's all Jack Nicholson though. Think of who else could have played that role and actually done it well. If anyone else, that movie blows and no one ever watches it. Jack Nicholson will have a place in the new religion.

3. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Bull sheee-it. Nicholson is great, no question, but the direction is fantastic, and the kid talent is awesome. And that's what makes it.

An actor is only as good as the direction (and their casting). Sit through Nicholson in Something'sGotta Give if you don't believe me.

4. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Silver Bullet

5. diogenes

diogenes New Member

That's true, and "About Schmidt" was a script he probably should have passed on.

6. Ferine

Ferine New Member

That's only because he's getting senile and he's not banging that anorexic chick Lara anymore.

I'm going to agree - The Shining was the best. Green Mile a close second.

7. Schmed

Schmed New Member

Shining is the best hands down. Along with the excellent acting on many of the actors parts, Kubrick is god, that movie would of been not half as good with out him behind the wheel.

8. DrBungle

DrBungle New Member

When compared with the story of the book I think the movie leaves too much out about the hotel and what and why it is.

And they left out the hedges. Come on!

9. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

The Stand

10. DangerousDan

DangerousDan New Member

I also liked the Stand movie. Part of the reason it was so good is because it isn't that far from the truth. One of these days something is going to sweep the nation and take at least 10% of the population out. The Flu of 1918 killed 40 million people or two in every hundred but I am thinking with all the retroviruses and the bird flu and genetic engineering of animals and the cows getting anitbiotics in their feed that the worst is yet to come. Alot of the anitbiotics used now are becoming obsolete with the mutating bacteria and the drug companies haven't been keeping up with trying to get new ones because the moneys not really there.

11. chester grape

chester grape New Member

... and, ever so slowly, smurf and Dan became the same person.

12. diogenes

diogenes New Member

I see Dan in more of a "Falling Down" scenario. He's got nothing left to lose, so he's going to take as many people out as he can on his way out.

13. smiles

smiles New Member

in all seriousness you two can't possibly think that there will be no new epidemics...... ever?

14. chester grape

chester grape New Member

I don't think, by having a dig at Dan (common fugly practice) I've somehow taken a position that "there will be no new epidemics...... ever".

I fully expect that there will be. We'd be crazy to think we've somehow tamed the bacterial and viral worlds.

It's just the certainty, the conviction, that the end of the world as we know it is right around the corner there that I thought smurf and Dan had in common.

15. Ferine

Ferine New Member

People always bring up the flu of 1918 when discussing the possibility of current day epidemics. I'd like to think that we have alot more resources available now than we had almost a century ago, not to mention the fact we don't eat our food off of/with lead based materials....

And to say that the drug companies don't have money to develop/research is just fucking absurd. They just chose to allocate the money elsewhere, like the pockets of our elected officals and members of the FAA.

16. Ferine

Ferine New Member

FDA*
    I'm tired.

17. DangerousDan

DangerousDan New Member

"I'd like to think" are the key words in your post. When I said the money is not there I meant it wasn't profitable. These are private corporations of course they choose to try to make money.

18. chester grape

chester grape New Member

I'm willing to be proved wrong on this, but I was under the impression (read it somewhere?) that drug companies are falling over themselves to create a bird flu vaccine.

I imagine the profits, if bird flu were to jump the gap and become transmissible from human to human, would be astronomical.

19. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think that the evolution of the different types of virus may cause the next epidemic. Someone somewhere is going to screw up. Its human nature.

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Oh, and 'The Shining' was the best I can think of. Of course Olive Oil made the movie. Well besides Jack and the kid. It was pretty good, not too terribly far off the book. There is only so much you can squeeze into a movie.

I wish they would have done a 'creep show' type movie with his short stories. Like in 'monkey shines'.