Anyone familiar with guitar amps?

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Lomotil, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I took something home from work today, a Peavey "212 Classic" model amp with twin 12" speakers (thing's heavy as fuck, too) - it seems to be a few years old, and I noticed that it uses two tubes. It also came with a Peavey foot pedal "automixer" and an Ibanez "guitar multi effects" foot-pedal-thing-a-ma-jiggy with 6 pedals on it.

It power up, but I don't have an electric guitar to plug in and test it. Can't seem to locate my box of audio adapters or microphone, either. I'd like to try it out with a CD player, but I've got to find those wires first...

At any rate, how much are things like this worth? I was thinking about ebay-ing them... Would it be worth someone's trouble to bid on it and mess with shipping on such a heavy box?

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

*...powers up...*

3. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

i can ask my ex about the value of that stuff. he plays guitar/bass. yeah, he's a loser. but- you may want to run an add in your local classifieds. the paper here lets people run free adds for a week. maybe you'll get luvcky.

4. Disorder

Disorder New Member

i think it depends on how high a fidelity they are, (if it sounds as crisp at medium, high and max volume, with no b/g distortion)
    what condition they're in and the original price Vs how rare they are.

5. Yummy

Yummy New Member

Peavey's are good amps, you could probably find someplace on the net to give you an idea of the price and approximate age (condition or style is no way to age them since they can be made to look retro and if the person actually played clubs it would be banged to hell from moving).

Selling stuff like that in the paper is hard, you get lots of calls and not a lot of people who can come up with the cash.

You can save the hassle if you have a local shop that sells used equipment (like pawning everything you will be lucky to get 75% of what they are going to sell it for, or you might be able to put it in on consignment in which case you won't get paid till they sell it). DO NOT take it to a pawn shop, they don't know enough about musical instruments to be fair.

I don't know how big of a city you live in, but if it is small you might do better to take it to the nearest big town. Once again, depends on how much effort you want to put into this.

As for eBay you can put in a pick-up only clause.

6. Disorder

Disorder New Member

or you can get a guitar to go with it.

7. Yummy

Yummy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Disorder:
    or you can get a guitar to go with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There ya go!

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

The census ranks us in the top ten (nationwide), but if they counted all the wetbacks and other illegals we'd probably be in the top 3...

I'd hate to limit the potential customer base by adding 'pickup only' to an auction. I wouldn't mind shipping the fucker, provided I'm not paying for it.

Rat: I'd be interested in hearing what he's got to say about 'em. Maybe I can bend you over some day and you can tell me all abou.... oops! I mean, um... yeah.

Dis: Where the fuck have you been, man? Long time no read... Yeah, if I had a guitar, I could test it out, but I'm kinda stuck here now...

This is just what I needed, though... more speakers!

9. Disorder

Disorder New Member

I was cryogenetically enhanced and put into stasis by a group of amateur science graduates. It was weird, I kept having these strange dreams of people poking me while trying to get to the packs of frozen peas.

How are you?

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Um... I'd say pretty good, compared to the frozen pea story... Who the fuck would be digging out frozen peas, anyway? I can think of a million other things in a freezer more appetizing than peas... (bottles of liquor, namely)

11. Disorder

Disorder New Member

i was in a store freezer, and, unfortunately, the customer gets whatever he or she wants, even though they have to roll me over and stack pizza's in my butt-cheeks to make room.

actually thats bullshit.. it was microwave ready meals