Anyone?anyone?does anyone know the answer...?

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by FredVegas, Aug 4, 2002.

1. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

So I went to my brother's house today and I noticed that he has ripped copies of lots of games. He gave me a copy of Warcraft 3, which works on his comp, but when I install it on my comp I run into a problem. After I install the game and I go to play it, my comp doesn't seem to recognize that the disc is in the cd drive. I'll hit 'play wc3' and it pops up with the message 'please make sure that the cd is in the cd drive and try again'. It's definitely in there, but it still won't play. Also, when it installs, it says it's installing everything into the following location: c:/program files/warcraftIII, which is all well and good but when I look for that file by clicking 'my computer' then 'program files' there's no folder icon for warcraftIII which I thought was kinda odd. I was thinkin that this might have something to do with the problem I keep runnin into, but I don't know much about comps so I figured maybe somebody that posts here knows what the fuck I'm talkin about and could tell me why the fuck this is happening. Anyone???

2. 1337

1337 New Member

3. 1337

1337 New Member

you need a fixed .exe for it to use the CD or just a NO CD crack.
    also you'll need winace to unzip it www.winace.com

4. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

Ok, it's downloading now. Is it another copy of wc3? I recognize the 'rzr', that's the same copy I have I think. It's from a guy named razor1911 is it not?

5. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWII 1337:
    you need a fixed .exe for it to use the CD or just a NO CD crack.
    also you'll need winace to unzip it www.winace.com
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The copy I have has a no cd crack, but this is the problem...when I try to drag it to the wc3 folder, there is no visible wc3 folder for me to drag it into.

6. 1337

1337 New Member

well i warez installed mine to
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\Games\folders\wc3

so i dunno look around for it or search for wc3.exe or something

7. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

I'd consult the resident arcade guru if I were you...

8. tommy710

tommy710 Active Member

HEY ShUT THE FUCK UP WANKSHAFT.
    Sorry about that dudes but this thread is really to polite and civil just thought id better break it up a litle.

9. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

tommy710 - keepin it real

10. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~pimpchichi~:
    tommy710 - keepin it real<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

keepin it real dumb...

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenAppleSplatters:
    I'd consult the resident arcade guru if I were you...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bear in mind, the last PC game the resident arcade guru played was probably the original Aliens vs. Predator (Excellent game, I might add)...

However, in my brief experience with cracks (only 1 that I can remember), I've noticed that the crack itself created a new icon for the game that you'd use instead of the icon that the game supplies.

Fred, do you have the 'show all files' option on when you browse through your computer? Also, any luck in using the 'find files or folders' function to locate your WC3 folder?

Now if you were looking for where to ground the flyback transformer and discharge the 20-30,000 volts on a G07 monitor chassis without killing yourself, I could offer a little more help - but this is about the extent of my PC gaming "skillz." Sorry, bro...

12. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

I found the Warcraft file and dragged the crack file into it, so that's all taken care of. Now I've got a whole new set of problems. I've gotten the game to play a few times, but most of the time the program causes an error of one sort or another. Personally, I think I'm just gonna end up actually buyin the game. From the few short hours I got to play it, it was pretty fuckin cool. I also got Quake 3 Arena and I installed Diablo 1 back on to my hard drive, so if anyone wants to play either one of these just let me know.

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Hmmm... I've got Quake 3 Arena, but I don't think it'd play over a shitty modem...

14. Texasmeatpacker

Texasmeatpacker New Member

You could try using CloneCD or something to make an image of the original disk, but stored on your hard drive. Then get DAEMON TOOLS v1.16 (just put that into google, you'll find it) and install that.

Daemon tools sets up a virtual cd drive into which you can put the image you made with cloneCD, as if it were a real cd.

The beauty of this is that daemon tools can pretend to be each of the main forms of copy protection, tricking your pc into thinking that the copy you are using is actually the original disk.

It works with everything I have ever tried it with

15. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Texasmeatpacker:
    You could try using CloneCD or something to make an image of the original disk, but stored on your hard drive. Then get DAEMON TOOLS v1.16 (just put that into google, you'll find it) and install that.

Daemon tools sets up a virtual cd drive into which you can put the image you made with cloneCD, as if it were a real cd.

The beauty of this is that daemon tools can pretend to be each of the main forms of copy protection, tricking your pc into thinking that the copy you are using is actually the original disk.

It works with everything I have ever tried it with
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I have to pay for either of those programs or are the downloads free (I'm guessin they're free but I'll check em out either way)? Also, are the errors I keep running into because of some sort of copy protection system? I don't know shit about comps, so maybe you could explain a little more for me. Seems like most of the errors that happen have something to do with "V cache" whatever the fuck that is. Either way I'll give your advice a try. Thanks for the info.

16. 1337

1337 New Member

Ill Play D1

17. FredVegas

FredVegas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWII 1337:
    Ill Play D1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, let me know when.

18. Texasmeatpacker

Texasmeatpacker New Member

Daemon Tools is 100% free, CloneCd isn't, but will work as a trial version if you don't want to pay for it or crack it. A free program that will do what cloneCD does is called "Blindwrite Suite"

CloneCD/Blindwrite are programs that will enable you to copy a CD. They make an 'Image' of the CD. This is a copy of the information on the CD, but stored as a file on your hard drive. This image can then be burnt on to a CD-R, giving you (in theory) an exact copy of the original CD.

Some games CDs try and prevent programs like these from doing this by adding extra information to the CD when they make it, this cannot usually be copied by these programs as it can only be put on at the manufacturing stage. There are 3 versions of this copy protection, SafeDisc, SecureRom and LaserLock (Safedisc is probably the most common)

When you run the game, part of the game code checks to see if this info is there, and if it isn't, will usually ask you to insert the original game CD, or just quit back to the desktop. This is why you need Daemon Tools. This program creates a 'Virtual CD-ROM', you will get an extra drive letter and the PC will think there is another CD Drive (or even drives if you want more than 1)

attached. You are going to have problems sticking a real CD into i t, as it doesn't really exist, but it does run CD image files as if they were the real CD. It has an extra fancy feature, you can select any of the 3 copy protection modes for your image file, and it will behave exactly as if the info was on the disc. ie. as if you had the original

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Texasmeatpacker ]