Anybody know how many amps an automobile A/C fan switch draws?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lomotil, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I had to take my dashboard apart again yesterday, I keep losing fan speeds because the damn switch overheats. Every time this happens, the plastic melts, and the metal contact point inside the switch gets pulled away from making contact - and I lose the option to set the fan speed at whatever it was on at the time. Last week, I was down to 3 choices: Off, 1, or 2. 3 and 4 were goners.

At any rate, instead of paying Isuzu $90 for a replacement switch that probably costs them a quarter to make, I fixed the switch by bending the contacts back and melting the plastic back to it's original form. Then, I added a fuse to the main power line going to the switch, so the next time it just blows a fuse and not the whole switch. I just guessed at it, and bought a slow-blow 3A fuse - works fine for speeds 1 and 2, but blows immediately at anything higher. I was thinking about stepping it up to a 5 or so...

Thoughts?

2. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Switches don't pull amps, fans do.

Overheating = poor connection somewhere, or an overloaded fan.

I would bet on a bad bearing in the fan, or worn out bushings, etc. The demand for amperage to overcome the resistance is blowing fuses. Make sure all coonections are tight.

Get a new fan, and I bet the switch problem gets solved.

You could try turning the fan by hand and seeing if it feels like it is Binding.

You really best bet is to get rid of the trash heap Isuzu and by a real car.

As far as the blower amperage - look in the owners manual, and see what fuse is required for the fan system. Duh?

3. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

i just farted

4. Disorder

Disorder New Member

If you Bodge it, you could get into trouble later.

5. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Setting a Isuzu on fire is not really "trouble" is it?

Q - How do you double the value of an Isuzu?

A - Fill the gas tank.

Q - Why does an Isuzu come standard with rear window defrosters?

A - To keep your hands warm while you push it to the mechanic.

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

God this has been a long time. You got to use the pie chart.

Voltage = Current * Resistance Got a multi-meter? Your car is generally going to be supplying 12v dc to the switch. The only way to test the current is to break the connection and insert your meter between the break but there is no need to. First get a good switch and check the resistance readings at each contact. Have you noticed the formula at a static given voltage of 12 the current is inversely proportional to the resistance. So in other words the current (amps) changes depending on the location of the switch.

It is likely that if you replace the switch and the problem reoccurs it is because the other side that it plugs into is all heated up and charred also (it is isn’t it) And you are not getting good contact. If you want to avoid cutting the wires and splicing in a new harness then try to clean it up as well as possible and use whatever redneck engineering technique you want to ensure the connection stays good. Assuming it is still serviceable.

Could it be something else? Sure it could and usually it’s a short to ground effectively eliminating resistance on one side of the circuit refer back to the formula. So do your fix and then crawl up under the dash and use those thermal sensors you have on your hands to test for a wire getting hot and trace it down. Also use those optical devices you have to look. Beyond that involves to much explaining on my part.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

So while I’m about giving auto repair tips:

Keep a clean garage well stocked with an assortment of the right tools for the job.

Keep your car clean because it’s yours if you wanted to work on a dirty car you could simple get a job at Firestone. And if you do take your in for service (I changed the plugs on my Camaro once and after that pay to have it done. I will offer advice on the easiest non-easy way to do it though) They will do better work cause they see you care so they do to. Have some respect for yourself do not work on someone else’s car if it is more dirty than your own. I’m willing to buy the whole “But I don’t know how to work on cars bit.” But it does not take a rocket scientist to clean one. The truth is they are lazy and do not like getting dirty. But don’t mind asking someone else to.

The inside of the engine is as or more important than the outside. At 140000 miles plus and around 800 on this oil change this is what mine looks like. (it’s not what you see its what you do not.

Oh yeah all those “Armor All” and “like” products that people spray on their engine then proudly open their hood to display thinking themselves so smart cause it was so easy. That stuff is nasty.

Use bathroom cleaner with Teflon it is dry not wet, provides a better look, and does not attract dust but actually makes future cleanups easier.

Tune in next week for:

Making your dry rub base to be used all this summer by slightly modifying for ribs, steak, burgers, pork shoulder depending on what you are cooking. AND DO NOT PUT SALT ON YOUR MEAT UNTIL IT IS ON YOUR FORK! this is why you make your own
    1. all the store stuff is a salt ripoff.
    2. salt dries out a juicy meat cut.

The only exception to this is Dales seasoning and the mysterious maranade they put on the skirt steak at the local Mexican food store I suspect has salt but is irrelivent because it is the bacon cut of beef and therefore kind of like pork bacon. (this is real fajita mean not flank steak... very common misconception)

Why when cooking beef except for ribs. The general rule is cook hot and fast. Pork is a different story all together. And if you do cook chicken …who cares and never admit you did. Why screw around when the colonel’s original recipe is just down the block.

How to take a cheep cut of meat like a Sirloin and make it tender like a Fillet of tenderloin. But with the better meatier taste of a Sirloin.

What is the secret recipe for good burgers? (A good quality of beef grind with a high fat content is only half the story)

9. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Pretty Impressive Joe.

I just got new digital camera. I'll get some shots of my garage and show you.

Yours is pretty cool, but mine is neater and better organized.

Oh, and I have Tuna steaks.

That makes me King, right?

(please say yes. My self esteem is at an all time low.)

10. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Dales sauce is a few moisture molecules on the other side of granular salt. I can't stand it.

That being said, your garage is very nice. Looking forward to seeing Barry's entry to the OCD Workshop. Sounds like a good TV show for PBS.

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You know when I posted the pics I was thinking "you know this is not all that fancy to brag about really" But it gave me a change to play with the camera and the camaro and be a know it all.

Yes Grilled is the way to go for Tuna as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a big fish eater but when I do the grilled fillet types are a safe bet for me and have had awsome grilled Tuna. I have not mastered it at all though. I just screwup fish on the grill or otherwise. It seems to be a different stratagy all together that I have not grasped.

You know your right about Dales having the salt which is an ironic exception to my general rule of avoiding salt on steaks until the meat is on the fork. I actually keep a shaker next to my plate.
    Other than that when I buy spices and this is especially true for dry spices I avoid the ones that contain salt.

12. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Dales sauce is just brown salt. I hate it. All you need on good steaks, tuna or anything else is NOTHING. Just griil it. If you want a little seasoning, add it later. Don;t screw up good meaqt with suaces.

As far as Tuna or Beef - melt a little REAL butter, and dip the meat in it as you go. Just a little salted butter, and you are there.

I just had a salivary explosion thinking about it.

13. Disorder

Disorder New Member

Garlic butter or classic peppercorns for me *slurp*

oh and medium-well thx.

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Joe - fuck you. It's pouring down rain here, I've got some steaks marinading in the fridge right now, and I refuse to cook them on the stove. Those steak and burger pics look fan-fucking-tastic. Only thing I'd do differently would be to use wood instead of the gas grill. It's more hassle, but worth it in my opinion. I like gas grills because of the *instant* and even heat distribution, but the smoky flavor added by the wood makes all the difference. Plus, it gives you an excuse to sit outside and drink a few beers while the wood is burning down into coals. Shit, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

That's a good idea about not using salt until you're ready to eat. I'm going to try it next time. I've got ten pounds of boneless pork chops in the freezer, I was trying to decide what to marinade them in (if at all - chops on the grill are just plain good no matter what you do). I looked up a few recipes online, and I'm still deciding which of these two to go with:

Damn, we should just change the name of TA to "The Guy Forum" - we can talk about fixing things and trade BBQ techniques 'till our fingers are blue. Speaking of which, regarding the last pic you posted, Joe, I've kneaded Onion soup mix in with the ground beef before I made them into patties, and that turns out fantastic (also makes an excellent brisket rub, too - try it!). You can also add dry oatmeal or some of that healthy granular soy protein shit to to your ground meat, and not only will it be unnoticeable, but it'll add fiber to your next movement. Maybe even lower your cholesterol a bit in the process. If you want to counter that, you can take a full brisket, ask the guy at the market counter to trim it a little and then run it through their grinder - best fucking ground beef I've ever had. Perfect for the grill. Just remember to make your patties almost twice the size you want them to be when they're done cooking.

Getting back to the car, I ended up putting a 20A fast-blow fuse in the positive line right behind the switch (looked at the fuse box under the hood for the amperage - the instruction manual for this thing sucks unless you're trying to figure out how to set the clock, so I didn't even bother looking at it). So far, I've had no problems, I have all four speeds available, and the molex connector that goes to the switch itself isn't melted at all. The switch repair job worked very well, I cleaned up the terminals, and if my nozzle hadn't broken on my can of TV tuner cleaner, I'd have sprayed some of that in there as well. It's the same stuff as the electronic cleaning fluid, but a buck or two cheaper per can (still pricey, though, at $10 for a small can - I use it when I do soldering work on my arcade games to remove flux, and whenever I need to clean/lube contact points on switches or edge connectors).

As for the fan itself, I'm not sure if the motor uses brushes, or if it's ball bearing. I guess if it's wearing out, it's not brushless. Is there any way to rebuild the fan itself, or do I need to get a completely new one? Do they make aftermarket fans, or do I have to spend an arm and a leg on a new Isuzu part? I know you can get new A/C units for collector cars, but do they sell kits for a car made within the last decade?

I've never been much into cars until recently... A few months ago my starter was going out, and instead of taking it somewhere to have it fixed, I found a repair kit for the solenoid on ebay, consisting of all the copper parts that wear out, for around $30 shipped. The guy's ebay name is "clickerfixer" - and if your starter ever goes out, buy one of his kits. I saved a couple hundred dollars, and the car's been starting fine ever since.

15. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

MEAT GOOD!!!

Wow, the thought of it makes my back hair tingle.

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Chilli Powder or Taco mix added to the ground beef is good to me. Mix it in before and away you go. And dont get no lean meat, you need the fat for flavor....

I like to put some tony cacheres(yea i cant spell that shit) on pork tenderloin damn it's good.

I dont put anything on a steak, unless it is fatty, then I thow on some lee and perrons.

17. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I love this forum.

This thread started as a conversation about automobile switches.

Now we are grilling steaks.

My kind of place.

18. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Who says guys only think with their stomachs?

Oh, and on an unrelated note, the rain has stopped, the grill will be ready soon, and my belly will be full momentarily... :)

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

RockAuto.com has reasonable shipping. And the prices are phenomenal often times compared to dealer prices. i.e. AC/Delco now you can get cheaper reman stuff at AutoZone but if it breaks again in 6 months what was your time worth then and what will your time be worth the second time you have to drop the fuel tank, drain it, risk death (I've been burned before) and have to go all through the frustration again. Using a fuel pump just as an example.

I have no idea what year or make Isuzu you have maybe it is somewhere at the top of the thread but here is a 2000 Rodeo blower motor from RockAuto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1363261,parttype,6916

HVAC switch:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1363261,parttype,4252

OK now to the pork chops.

Beef is generally hot and fast but pork likes to cook slowly. This I'm sure you are prolly already aware. But here is what I tried the last time I did pork chops. I soaked mine in Italian dressing you know the oil and vinegar with the spices for a day. Then I took them out and put them on a warm grill to slowly sweat. "this is where the importance of a salt less rub becomes really apparent" then I powdered them with my dry rub mixture and nothing extra. turned then wetted the bottom side that was kind of dry and powdered the ...what is now the top. Close the lid placed on top rack slow heat. They came out really spicy and tangy almost like a Caribbean Jerk but without the sweet.

Expect the first few barbeque of the season to be a bit of a learn curve. I never use a timer but pay close attention to the temp and the appearance. The ultimate trick is to only turn your meat once. This is tough to master cause you always second guess. The less the better so twice is not so bad really.

Oh and the appearance I'm talking about has to do like I said with the temp and the blood. When the heat starts pushing the blood out the top for rare immediately turn and the next hint of blood turn again. Of course I'm talking steak not pork. If you want medium then Waite till the blood is on top and starting to gel and turn, Well ... sigh tsk tsk tsk if it is well that you are wanting I don’t know I never pay attention usually I cook one well by accident not paying attention or something.

Here are the Fajitas I cooked Saturday with my Brother n family over.

Fabuloso Quick Fajitas is awesome I have always used it since the 80’s my dad used it while I was growing up in Houston. And until all the migrant Mexican farm workers came to Tennessee I had to bring boxes of it back to Tennessee. Now its everywhere the Mexicans are….which is everywhere and a true contribution to our society.

Oh yeah a warning DO NOT MARINATE OVER NITE ! It is strong stuff 15 min. is fine for Fajitas … I have used it on steak …not as good though and five min is fine.

My biggest fan says “Uncle Joe you’re the best griller in the whole world” I’m not kidding she actually said that. :D

I did not take picks of all the strips but here is how you do it. Take a slab like you see on that cutting board and roll it with the grain. Then slice against the grain. This is actually as important as any of the other. You just have to do it to see why its more tender that way.

You’re absolutely right about the wood but I like the heat control of the gas. In Tennessee I know a guy that had a sawmill and kept in fresh supply of hickory and you may think this is funny but scavenged my dads apple tree he cut down loaded up the wood on my truck and took it home. All I know is apple is a really sweet smoke as well as hickory it’s as if you sprinkled a little sugar on your meat if you smoke it nice and slow. The best ratio is two parts hickory to one part apple. I really prefer it for pork shoulder in a smoker. I left my smoker in Tennessee when I moved here and hell I don’t know what kind of wood to use here. People tell me Pecan and Mesquite. But I’m open for suggestions. I keep seeing Spare ribs for 1.99 a pound. ;)

20. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Spare ribs for $1.99 a lb.

A $10.00 bill should cover me.