Anybody ever been to the Florida Keys?

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Lomotil, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

...might be taking a trip soon, do some deep sea fishing, maybe get eaten by a shark...

Anybody ever been there?

2. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Don't go. You will never go back to where ever you are now, and if you do, you will never be happy there again.

Barry

3. chester grape

chester grape New Member

You've obviously never been to Noosa.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I can't wait... Deep sea fishing... Drink-fest... Etc...

I'll probably take a laptop down there with me to keep everyone updated on "the one that got away..."

5. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Don't. Trust me, it will be a better holiday without it.

6. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I'm with the Grape on this one - take Dramamine, leave the computer.

Barry

7. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

UPDATE:

We have secured a place to stay...

There are four of us going (two couples), and the other couple used to live there, and have plenty of contacts. One of which is a real estate broker that buys and sells houses in the Keys, and one of these houses he kept as a residence - he'll be going on vacation himself, so we'll be house-sitting his pad right on the tip of the Keys.

I'm told we're so close that we can open the patio door and spit into the ocean.

I'm trying to decide if I want to take my SUV, or rent a car/van... suggestions? We're going to need plenty of room, as we're going to be bringing back enough fish and crustaceans to feed an army...

8. GAS

GAS New Member

Pack a shit ton of ice if you're driving back with seafood.

And send me some stone crab claws!!

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I bought one of those vacuum "Seal-a-Meal" things yesterday for the trip... I figure I'll make filets out of the fish, seal 'em, freeze them while we're still at the house, then pack 'em in ice for the trip home.

Damn, speaking of fish, anybody have any suggestions on a good way to transport a 20-gal fishtank (w/fish)? I'm going to enlist the help of a babysitter for 'em, but I have to get the tank there first.

10. smurfslappa

smurfslappa New Member

Hell no, you'll fuck the tank up just trying to move them. Give the tank-sitter a key and some money for gas. Or ask a neighbor to do it.

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Having someone come in here is out of the question - it's either drain it to maybe 1/4th capacity and transporting it - or take the fish out, drain the tank, move it, re-establish the tank, and add the fish.

I could probably save some of the tank water if I did the latter, that way it's not so much of a shock to the fish when they get back in the tank...

There is that other option - buy one of those 'automatic feeders' and take my chances that way - but I'll be gone for 2 weeks...

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Sounds like you’re going to have a blast Lomo wish I knew more about Beta fish I think I understand their pretty fragile just take it with you and use it as bait. I used to keep African Cichlids once the tank is setup properly and established there really resilient fish. I bet those Cichlids make good bait also.

13. Incredulous

Incredulous New Member

Are you going to Key West? (of course you are!!) Something neat you may want to do is take a 'Sunset Cruise' on the Schooner Western Union. It's a two hour 'booze cruise'. But should give you a great sunset on the water. The ship was the last tall ship to come out of Key West in 1939. It's had some modification to it since then, of course, but is still pretty neat to be on.

A favor, if you do this and if you think about it.. please take a pic or two and post it? I was part of the crew to deliver the boat back to Key West in 1996. I stayed on for about a year and got the sunset cruises off the ground on that boat. I had lived on her for two years previous when she was a sail training vessel for adjudicated youth. I have my own pics but would really like to see how she's been kept up. When I left Key West, she was docked directly beside Schooner Wharf Bar. (good food there) Not sure if she's still docked there or not.. the owners of the Bar, Paul and Evilina, had bought into the boat when we first brought it down. They quickly figured out that maintainance on a 130' wood boat wasn't cheap or easy, so I don't know if they've stayed with it. It's being mostly run by Historic Tours of America now.

Eh.. now I wanna go!! Wondering if the old captains are still there.. Capt. Finbar and Capt. John. Finbar's a blast, though. He has a schooner there too.. the Schooner Wolf. Nice boat but not as big as the Western Union. If your group wants to do the sunset cruise thing and you can't get the Western Union, the Wolf is a good subsitute as well as the Appledore. (Appledore also offers snorkle trips during the day and they serve lunch) One boat I wouldn't go on if someone paid me is the Schooner America. Yeah it's fast but she's put together all wrong. I was on her once and it made me nervous.

You'll have a blast! You might have trouble finding a place to park with a big SUV, though, especially on KW.