Has anyone else noticed that Shaggy is about 4 fucking years

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by The Original Stabmaster, Mar 13, 2001.

1. The Original Stabmaster

The Original Stabmaster New Member

the bastard, i thought that music was dead,bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard

------------------
    Dumbass is as dumbass does

[This message has been edited by The Original Stabmaster (edited March 15, 2001).]

2. GreenAppleSplatters

GreenAppleSplatters New Member

Yeah,that's a hell of a comeback for a one hit wonder. Maybe now that he's somewhat famous someone will bust a cap in his dome.
    Bring back the east/west coast rap rivalry!

------------------
    Tag lines are for pussies.

3. The Original Stabmaster

word,bim beema mutha fucka.

------------------

4. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Original Stabmaster:
    i thought that music was dead<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've obviously never been through the ghetto of south london on a saturday night (brixton, peckham, camberwell etc...)
    'cos then you'll know it never died out...

it had a brief flirtation with breakbeat and called itself jungle... then hid itself away after bringing crack, guns, and gang warfare to the drum and bass scene.....

it never went away.. it just went underground...

5. The Original Stabmaster

Jungle music never died or went away, anything as annoying as that is around forever. I was going to raves around 90/91/92 and that shite form of 'music' brought more shady gangsta wannabees to those nights than I've had hot turds. Basically it was a control thing (or 'ting) with that music. We new it was shite , they thought it was new, fresh and innovative but in reality it was just a bag of bollocks. maybe with the notable exceptions of LTJ Bukem and goldie. Jumping jack frost? Jumping jack bollocks more like. Now these fuckers are doing the same thing with garage except it went a bit mainstream (i.e. a fucking lot). ribbidy ribby, i feel jiggy, come on top of the pops make some noise, rrrrrrrrrreeewwiinnndddd.
    Bollocks the lot of it.
    As they say.......
    ITS A LONDON TING
    and they can fucking keep it!

And fucking craig david, don't get me started

------------------

6. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

i agree with most of what you say...
    yes the ragga episode ruined hardcore.. but it fucked off and called itself happy hardcore..
    and the copious use of breakbeat in garage (speed garage for the genre freaks out there) bugs me too...
    but the way you have grouped everything together under the banner of bollocks.. kinda irritating... 'cos you've become a labeller... one of those fuck-wits who ain't happy until every style of music is grouped under it's own tidy little tags...... the way i see it... good music is good music...
    now i ain't a regular everyweekendraver any more... my musical horizons have expanded beyond the white labels and acetate test presses... but it don't mean i hate any certain genre of music... i'm just a little more discerning...

oh... and BTW... it's hardly a london 'ting anymore.... you rarely see a drum n bass night in london anymore...
    it's mostly a german/dutch/japanese/canadian/american(north and south) 'ting now...

and craig david.... yeah i think he's a tit too...

anyway.. i'm gonna copy n paste an interview two of my friends did for an internet radio station....
    oh.. and their site is at http://www.bcrecordings.com

---------------------------------------------

Bad Company
    interviewed by Darren Carrington

Broadcasted 17th March 2000
    DC's Drum 'n' Bass, BFBS UK.

It's DC's Drum & Bass from BFBS in the UK, if you caught the show over the last four weeks or so you'll probably know that Bad Company have a new album due for release called "Inside The Machine". I said a few weeks ago that we were having talks with regards getting the guys in and guess what? They're here, well two of them are here tonight anyway, so we welcome Darren & Jason from Bad Company.

DC: What can I say?, the album, slammin' how long did it take to put together?

Darren (of Bad Company): Ooh, the tracks were done over a period of last year …..

Jason: Yeah, about 4 or 5 months..

Darren: ..it's a collection of tracks of stuff we've done over the last year or so, originally the album was due to come out in November, we had it ready for then in terms of tracklisting and since then because the date got pushed back we've had to adjust certain tracks on there ..

DC: Why was the date put back ?

Darren: There was just an influx of Drum & Bass albums coming out at the time …..

DC: And it's not advisable to give yourself more unnecessary competition

Darren: It just wasn't worth battling against them, the scene isn't that big, I mean we all know each other and we just worked around each other. I think it's worked out better for us now it's coming out in March, we've had time to do a lot more promotion for it, PR and that so it's good.

DC: So when is the album due for actual release now then, Or is that still a big question mark?

Darren: Very Soon, I think it's around the last week in March is the final date we've been given.

DC: When I first got a copy it was saying it was due sometime in February but obviously we're in to March now, so will it definitely be this month?

Darren: Yeah it will be this month, fingers crossed, touch wood and everything else.

DC: We've been behind the album for the last 4 or 5 weeks or so, ever since I got a copy we've been dropping a track every other week, so it's got a good following already

Jason: Wicked

Darren: Yeah we've had a lot of good response on it, the feedbacks been really good, there's something on there for you could say for everyone in a way

DC: Yeah I think so, with an album like that it's very difficult to say yeah that's the best track, I've got to come clean and say my favourite is Colonies, it takes a certain amount of time to build, about 90 seconds or so but when it kicks in boy does it kick. I mean have you got a favourite yourselves or…

Darren: Me personally, I like Silicon Dawn because we used a live drummer on there, a guy called Paul Codesh who drums for Apollo 440 and he supplied the drums in that, I just like the feel of it, it's really heavy and just rolling out, that's my favourite track personally

DC: When you're producing tracks, does one of you get an idea then you all sit down and work around that idea and then it goes on to the next one and so on, or is it just like a real joint effort?

Darren: It depends, sometimes it maybe just one of us sometimes maybe three you could say it's rarely all four of us because the studio isn't that big

DC: A bit like this one really !

Darren: But we can all kind of like work together in different combinations and it all goes out under the same banner, which is what we try to push that there is no individual within the group, it's a real group effort, it doesn't matter who's done the track as long as it's good enough for BC Recordings, that's the angle we're coming from.

DC: You guys have recently been described and I think I quote, "The Drum & Bass scene's best kept secret" was that purely down to the fact that you weren't happy with the way the production was going and now you are ready to face the world or ..

Jason: I think it was probably down to us just being slack, not getting enough things out

DC: At least you're honest

Darren: Best kept secret, I don't know. Separately we've all been doing it for quiet a while, I started around 92 and everything's happening, I'm doing well now. There's a lot of good producers out there, the scene wasn't moving personally for me, the energy wasn't there, the energy kind of stripped itself down a bit

DC: What, when you were working solo?

Darren: Er, just the whole scene in general, the sound coming out of the drum & bass scene was a bit stripped down

DC: I think most genre's are like that though aren't they? It goes in peaks and troughs really, I mean you can't be buzzing with ideas all the time and that's going to come through in the production as well.

Darren: True, true I think there's like a full circle kind of thing going on because we all listen to old hardcore stuff and the energy that was in that stuff and the vibe that was going on back then, so we wanted to kind of re-introduce that vibe again, get the horns back in to the raves and get the energy back in to the people and the music. That's the angle we came from and people really picked up on it because it was for us going through like a low point

DC: Was that the main train of thought behind the remix for Champion Sound?

Jason: Yeah Champion Sound was like er, it's a classic tune, it was wicked to be able to remix it but it was a hard one

Darren: There was a few mixes done before that one was finally agreed on, we tried one mix before where we tried to stick to the original and it didn't really come across so we just like put our slant on it and it seems to have worked, people really like it. We felt quiet privileged to do it because it was a big tune for a lot of us

DC: That's back in the day though isn't it, did you feel under pressure with doing a track like that because it is such a classic?

Jason: That's why we had to like, we had to do it justice basically so we gave it a few attempts and luckily it happened

DC: Well I think it's fair to say you have done it justice, every week all the dance DJ's on BFBS do a top tip which goes out on the evening show between 7 & 10 which again is worldwide and last week my top tip was the Bad Company remix of Q Projects Champion Sound, so it's had a fair bit of airplay on

DC: 's D&B as well as the UK evening show so as much airplay as we can possibly give it, we are behind it all the way.

DC: So you're going to be doing a mix for us tonight, can you let some indication through about what's going to be in the mix?

Darren: Er, we'll be playing you tunes that we're in to at the moment, what we like and the producers who we like with some of our new stuff that people may not have necessarily heard. There's a few cool tracks on there, stuff that could be geared towards the transition over to our live set. Also there's a couple of tracks on there that could in theory be done live so to speak and we're kind of working towards that. Tracks like Synthetic Sister, a track called Breathe and just the people that we're really in to like the Virus camp and the RAM camp. There's a lot of really good music at the moment.

DC: There's a lot of good producers out there like yourselves doing good stuff.

Darren: Yeah, everyone's like getting on it at the moment, there's a real "Let's work buzz" going around and there's a lot of good tunes coming out.

DC: It's all part of that feel good factor as well. If you're doing something you're pleased with, people are picking up on ideas and the whole thing just comes across doesn't it?

Darren: Yeah definitely, it is on the up. Drum & Bass has it's ups and downs like all scenes, it feels like we've had more downs than most but it's really good at the moment.

DC: Going back to the live thing, have you got anything planned in the not too distant future?

Darren: Yeah, we're not putting too much onus on it. It's a project that we want to do, we feel it can be done. We don't really want to go out there with a live bass guitarist, that's not really what we do. We make electronic music within a studio environment so it's transferring that environment to the stage.

DC: That must be quiet difficult really !

Darren: Well, yeah but if you look at dance acts that are going live you could say like, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers and The Orb, they all use the same equipment we do and they can do it so my mentallity is, if they can do it why can't I? You could say it's a question of money, to have the equipment to go stage and do that but we're gearing ourselves up for it and it's what we want to do. It's the next level for us, to be able to truly put our music across to people, so we're looking forward to that. Hopefully when the albums out of the way we can concentrate on that and still put tracks out on our label as well.

DC: What about vocalists, would you do something like that on the live gig?

Darren: Yeah, we're considering searching for a front man, if anyone's interested ?

DC: (laughing) Send your answers applications to ……

Darren: We're not too sure, it could be a case of maybe guest vocalists.

DC: That would probably work well actually !

Darren: Yeah different people, so we don't get stuck with a certain sound, you can change for each individual. That's personally what I'd like to do, I think the others would as well.

DC: I suppose that's a different approach as well to what people with vocalists are doing at the moment, so it would probably take off in a big way.

Darren: Yeah, just get some guest vocalists in and see what happens.

Darren: I don't know, we're under no illusions, our music is instrumental dance music so, we're very conscious of not trying to water it down as such quote unquote. We'll just have to wait and see, we just want to do what we do and do it live. How we make tracks, well there's a real jammin' vibe to how we go about producing our tunes so it's just transferring that on to the live stage, which I think can be done.

DC: Would you get somebody like a producer to co-ordinate everything or between you guys would you be able to do that yourselves?

Darren: I think we're proficient enough to be able to do that ourselves. The four of us, we all know how to use the equipment whether it be the computer or keyboards, so it's just a case of separating what we do into something that all four of us each have a part in playing in.

DC: Maybe it's trying to run before you can walk but would you consider recording a live album?

Darren: (Laughs)

DC: Questions, Questions !!

Darren: (Still Laughing) That would be nice, yeah I'd like to

Jason: Maybe just a live session

Darren: Yeah a live session, we've got to get good at it, you know, to get it down, get it practised but yeah that would be really cool to be given say two hours of it just going off. Yeah I'd love to do that.

DC: You'd probably shine actually, I mean you're like kids in a toy shop just having a play really. You're doing your thing week in week out anyway, and doing it to a live audience, the vibe would be goo and you get that instant response. That's what it's all about.

Darren: Yeah definitely, that's what I'd like, I'd like to get in to that.

DC: You guys do a lot of gigs in Germany, how do you find playing abroad compared to the UK?

Darren: It's weird going out and seeing it inn these places, where else is there a really big scene?, Canada as well

Jason: Yeah Canada's really good, it's really going off over there

Darren: Definitely, Germany are trying to kind of make it their own which I like as well. There's a lot of D&B producers out there putting out tunes trying to create their own scene which is good, you know what I mean? It's good to see that

DC: It's interesting you mention because the House scene's pretty dead out there isn't it?

Darren: I don't know, when we're out there I can't say I heard much House (Laugh)

Jason: No, just some really good big parties over there and everyone's just there to have a good time

Darren: Yeah, just out for a good time. People are having it, raving !

DC: So Dan & Michael are out expanding the Bad Company name if you like. When it comes to playing out do you normally try to do your own thing to expand the product even further or do you try to do it as a group?

Jason: Basically when we go out we go out in pairs. If all four of us were to DJ it would be ridiculous so we can be at two places at the same time on a Friday whether it be Germany or Canada and it's all the same name, Bad Company. So it works pretty well.

Darren: it's a good chance for us to push our stuff, if we're going to be playing somewhere they can be guaranteed of hearing Bad Company tunes and new ones so,

DC: Well with the album it's a good start to the new year anyway. With regards to single release what do you think will be the first single release or has that not been decided yet?

Darren: Well it doesn't really work like that in the D&B scene. It's more like we put out a twelve and an EP. It's more like, people put out a sampler which is what we did with the track called Hunted and we had a remix of 4 Days done by Moving Fusion and we did like a limited edition before the album and then the album comes out and that's basically it. After the album we've got an EP lined up already. We haven't really marketed like that in that sense, it's just been geared around how the Drum and Bass scene works.

DC: So you're not really trying to capture the commercial market?

Darren: (Laughing) I don't know, I wouldn't say purposely that we don't want to capture that market. For the last year it's been very much like going with the flow and I think our expectations have been like, er, we never really expected this what's been going on and the response we've been getting from the album. So it's been a big surprise to us and we just want to get the album out, that's our main aim because we feel we need to get that out and it's a footnote to what we've been doing over the last year since our first release. We can then get on with the next thing

DC: UK Drum & Bass is coming on in leaps and bounds but it could do with being a bit more positive couldn't it?

Darren: Yeah, yeah it could but I think it's almost like people have been waiting for it to slip up and to fade out but it hasn't because the people who are making it won't let it, and as along as we keep making it and doing what we're doing ..

DC: And keep that passion alive

Darren: Yeah there was that transition when the UK Garage thing came over and a lot of people who were you could say making Drum and Bass moved over to that secne. So it was like, oh will Drum and Bass survive? But as long as I still love the music and all the other producers do we'll still keep making it. There's people out there who love it as well and it's moved out from just being in London, it's spreading out all over the world. So through the DJing we're going to some nutty places.

DC: The people doing it now are doing it well and are really committed to that particular genre of music. You were saying about the UK Garage thing, well Craig David who's associated with the Artful Dodger. I listened to his sampler album a couple of days ago and he's doing stuff like RnB, I'm sure he'll do very well. Usher from a few years ago and Craig David now, you'd think they're the same guy really and you associate him with the Re-Rewind stuff and you think there's no commitment to any particular genre of music at all. Why? Is it because he's not particularly good?

Darren: I don't like to tell anyone about their music, it's someone's personal representation of what they're doing. I'm not in a position to say anything about some one else's music but for me the whole of the Garage scene, personally I'm not really in it. It's weird, looking at it from a programming and producing angle you see the simplicity behind things. That's why the charts wind me up because you just see it, you can visualise, you can see it broken down on the computer screen and it's like, come on !

DC: So you guys are no strangers to Radio, I believe you do some internet radio ?

Darren: Yeah we did a few radio things, we did interface around the world via the net and Giya Live as well down at Brick Lane. It's good because you can see, you get a visual representation of who's listening to you and how many people and where they're from. There's a chat forum going on and with the Interface one they've got a LIVE Webcam as well in to the studio so people can see you and they can ask you questions. Afterwards we do a little question and answers thing with all the people listening. It's mad to say like someone from Mexico asking you questions, who are just listening to your show.

DC: It's bizarre isn't it?

Darren: Yeah it's bizarre and it's cool !

DC: So is it a live cam right the way through the show and not just updating every few minutes or so?

Darren: Er, at the moment it's got a two or three second delay but they are updating it so it's as live without the delay.

DC: Excellent, in the future anything likely to happen on the internet with regard you guys getting a regular show or could you not commit to that with other projects?

Darren: Well our schedule is really nutty at the moment, we really don't know what we're doing from day to day. When the opportunity comes up to do radio we, get offered slots and we generally take them. Because it's the four of us we can get someone to do it, it's good to do those kind of things. Regards the internet, we've got our own site coming up on www.bcrecordings.com The new site which we're looking forward to is called DRUM P3 which will basically be down loadable MP3's of all our tracks and we've joined forces with four other of the most prolific labels in the scene who've started this site up so you will be able to get all their back catalogues and our back catalogues.

DC: Fantastic !

Darren: So www.drump3.com

DC: Excellent, well a bit of a plug there and I imagine a lot of people will log on tonigt as well, so is it up and running ?

Darren: No it's going to be running soon, if you were to look you'll probably see a page saying drump3.com but it's in the process of being built.

DC: So it's forthcoming

Darren: Yeah and our site is coming along really well. Futuristic business on our site, it's cool definitely. They're the shop fronts of the future really.

DC: Oh God yeah, you'll have to give us the thumbs up when it's up and running and we'll check it out and give it a bit more promotion,

Darren: Superb !

DC: Well guys thanks for coming in

Darren: Thanks for having us.

DC: You're welcome, so you're going to go in the mix for us so we'll give you some time to get ready for that. So part 2 dedicated to Bad Company I think !

Darren & Jason: once again thanks a lot, Darren!

DC: Thanks very much !

7. The Original Stabmaster

don't get me wrong, just because i call it all bollocks doesn't mean i don't acknowledge
    the music. its just that i choose to ignore it. all these happy hardcore heads with their
    plinky plonky hands in the air feel the rush type thing are all loving that type of music. it's just that one day they will slag it like the rest as soon as the mainstream money comes in.everyone wants to be underground and nobody is anymore.

except me

------------------

8. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

underground, overground, wombling free...
    i don't wanna be either..
    i'm happy just being me..

i work overground.. and get there underground..
    that's the only underground/overground crap i need...
    and i don't wanna be labelled, pigeon-holed, marked, bagged, tagged, bar-coded, whatever...
    just being me will do... not what anyone wants to make
    me... we get enough labels pinned on us in life... just to
    function in society... so why categorise ourselves further??

9. StrangeDischarge

StrangeDischarge New Member

PimpDaddy is a stupid mother fucker! I laugh at your mongaloid ass......you know cock....dat's eet clown.

10. The Original Stabmaster

But doesn't saying that you will not be put into a category put you into the category of one of those people who won't be put into categories? mmm mmmm well?

11. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StrangeDischarge:
    PimpDaddy is a stupid mother fucker! I laugh at your mongaloid ass......you know cock....dat's eet clown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, yeah, like i care..... laugh away you dick....

*PD ponders over the amount of sleep he'll lose over some anonymous guy on the other side of the planet's animosity towards him*

"Errrr.... none?

12. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Original Stabmaster:
    But doesn't saying that you will not be put into a category put you into the category of one of those people who won't be put into categories? mmm mmmm well?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe....
    paradoxes and conundrums... i love 'em..

btw.... stab.. can you edit your first post and put a space in the middle of all those bastards... it stretches the box too much and i have to scroll to read the thread...

13. The Original Stabmaster

well well well. I just learn't something new. How's that?

14. The Original Stabmaster

a

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Original Stabmaster (edited March 15, 2001).]

15. The Original Stabmaster

g

------------------

16. hera

hera New Member

the bastard, i thought that music was dead,bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard bastard

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The music is dead, it is not what it fucking used to be and I am no old fart

17. iStalkBritneySpears

iStalkBritneySpears New Member

I'm tellin ya, this is shaggy

------------------
    Yes, thats me staring through your curtains.

[This message has been edited by iStalkBritneySpears (edited March 16, 2001).]

18. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iStalkBritneySpears:
    I'm tellin ya, this is shaggy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah.. that's a good prank call...
    just a pity we have to go to the bother of renaming the file to get it to work....

it just so happens that i have that mp3.. and another one...
    and isn't it your lucky day folks.. but they are downloadable from my webspace....

so here goes.... <A HREF="http://website.lineone.net/~mitchy2k/shaggyshops.mp3" TARGET=_blank>This is the same mp3 that britneys stalker posted a link to.. except this has the proper .mp3 extension and doesn't need renaming...
    but.. unlike the file britney linked to.. this is encoded a 64kbps... so it's twice as large at 1330KB</A>

this other one is the same guys phoning Ceasars Palace as shaggy and trying to book a room... and give some requirements.. to tune of carolina and with other shaggy trademark grunts....610KB

19. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

oh and by the way... fugly... did you like the prank call mp3's i sent.. i have about 50 by the same guys if you want me to send 'em to ya

20. The Original Stabmaster

Hmmmm, very good.
    two whole pages of nonsense (HTML)?

------------------
    dumbass is as dumbass does