missing dollar

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by 1337, Feb 1, 2003.

1. 1337

1337 New Member

Three men decided to split the cost of a hotel room. The hotel manager gave them a price of $30.

The men split the bill evenly, each paying $10, and went to their room. However, the hotel manager realized that it was a Wednesday night, which meant the hotel had a special: rooms were only $25. He had overcharged them $5!

He called the bellboy, gave him five one-dollar bills and told him to return it to the men.

When the bellboy explained the situation to the men, they were so pleased at the honesty of the establishment that they promptly tipped the bellboy $2 of the $5 he had returned and each kept $1 for himself.

So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.

What happened to the extra dollar

first one to solve gets jack shit

ps: i dont know the answer.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

There is no fucking extra dollar. Too drukn to put to words, but I've got it figured out...

3. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highclass Whitetrash:
    So each of the three men ended up paying $9 (their original $10, minus $1 back) totalling $27, plus $2 for the bellboy makes $29.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they spent a total of $27 dollars including the tip. The room was only $25 and the tip was $2. They each pay 9 bucks.

But if we ever happen to need to split a hotel room, I eagerly volunteer to handle the finances. As well as any and all dealings with the employees therein. You needn't bother yourself with all that... I'll tell you how much you owe.

4. kitana

kitana New Member

25/3 = 8.33
    they each paid 8.33
    n 5/3 = 1.67
    8.33+1.67 = 10.00

hmmm 30/3 = 10
    30-25 = 5
    5/3 = 1.67
    5-3 = 2

*Twitch!*

5. 1337

1337 New Member

kitana: STFU

Lomo: whats solution!?

6. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Wait ... wait.

$10 each is 30, minus 5 is 25, which is 5 squared, which 9 (three squared) more than 16 (4 squared).

4 Square is a shopping centre chain, popular throughout the regional areas of Queensland, Australia.

Australia is the world's smallest continent.

The opposite of continent is incontinent.

I like gwapes.

7. Cuntry Skank

Cuntry Skank New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ambitious Procrastinator:
    No, they spent a total of $27 dollars including the tip. The room was only $25 and the tip was $2. They each pay 9 bucks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is right

$25 for room + $2 for tip is $27
    they each got a buck back from $10

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highclass Whitetrash:
    Lomo: whats solution!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot... I'm working on getting fucked up again so I can explain it later...

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kitana:
    25/3 = 8.33
    they each paid 8.33
    n 5/3 = 1.67
    8.33+1.67 = 10.00

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good Kit!

How 'bout these?

In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Jack
    Sandy
    They tie
    Neither
    Impossible to tell

I picked Sandy because Jack doesn't beat her from X to Y twice as fast, but Sandy beats Jack twice as fast on the way back?

Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles. How far apart are the two cars?

2 miles
    11 miles
    14 miles
    20 miles
    26 miles

I hate this one, but I know the answer.

10. Cuntry Skank

Cuntry Skank New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nauseous:
    Very good Kit!

How 'bout these?

In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Jack
    Sandy
    They tie
    Neither
    Impossible to tell

I picked Sandy because Jack doesn't beat her from X to Y twice as fast, but Sandy beats Jack twice as fast on the way back?

Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles. How far apart are the two cars?

2 miles
    11 miles
    14 miles
    20 miles
    26 miles

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

impossible to tell on the first one (since you don't know the distances between points)

the second one I don't know

it would be like measuring from one point on a swastika to another

11. pimpchichi

pimpchichi Active Member

use pythagoras ..

12. chester grape

chester grape New Member

The 20mph one wins. The average speed of the other one is less than 20mph (think about it - he's doing 10mph a lot longer than he's doing 30).

The other one, alas IS pythagoras. It's a 3:4:5 triangle, dammit. i.e. answer is 20.

Fat lot of good that maths education is doing me now.

13. trsam

trsam New Member

yer its 20

SPIN HER UP

14. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nauseous:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they tie. Since they are traveling from X to Y and back again, the distances are the same between the two points. Sandy's average speed was a steady 20mph, and Jack, while heading out the gate with a premature burst of speed, blew most of his steam in the first half of the race and ended up averaging 20mph himself... nearly losing to a girl and suffering an emasculating defeat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate this one too. I had it on a test before and I missed it so I am pissed to announce that I was just compelled to do math without getting paid for it or having paid for it and this time I think I got it right. And if not, fuck it I guess I better be glad I decided not to pursue an exciting career in the field of geometry.

15. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

Oh, hehe and the answer I arrived at is.... 20!!!

Crack kills.

16. 1337

1337 New Member

your all fucking usless

17. chester grape

chester grape New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="verdana">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by a maths-illiterate twat:
    I think they tie. Since they are traveling from X to Y and back again, the distances are the same between the two points. Sandy's average speed was a steady 20mph, and Jack, while heading out the gate with a premature burst of speed, blew most of his steam in the first half of the race and ended up averaging 20mph himself... nearly losing to a girl and suffering an emasculating defeat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now listen up, I'm only going to do this once.

Let's say the distance between the two points is 'd' miles. At 20mph, Sandy covers the distance in d/20 hours; and back in another d/20 hours. Total time, 2d/20 = d/10.

Meanwhile, Jack, the softcock, gets there in a quick d/30, but dawdles back in d/10 hours. Total time, d/30 + d/10 = d/30 + 3d/30 = 4d/30 hours.

So, Jack does it in 4d/30 hours. Sandy does it in d/10, or 3d/30 hours; i.e. QUICKER.

The girl wins, irrespective of the distance between X and Y.

This is BASIC, BASIC high school algebra, folks, though as I pointed out earlier you can also solve it intuitively - Jack is doing 10mph a lot longer than he's doing 30mph (as he has to cover the same distance each way), so his average speed will be below 20mph.

Lift your games.

18. trsam

trsam New Member

hah.

* rolls a 3 paper *

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

So, according to the disgruntled Chester Grape, I was right? Uh... cool?

20. tommy710

tommy710 Active Member

Im surprised you got so many serious replys.