Need some help from a car expert

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Fernando, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

So I am in the market for a new car, my piece of shit camry is not cutting it anymore and maintenance for it would cost well over 2500 dollars so hey new car wooo. If anything, I read an ad in the classifieds of a 2005 Carolla with only 17k miles and the owner is asking a mere 10k for it. My question is how low should I start my bartering, I'm thinking I can go as low as 8k. The car is apparently only in this condition because the couple needs a bigger car to get to their cabin in the north, they just don't want to sell it to a slimy dealer or something.

P.S. Hello

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Did you get the book value on it? I usually get the TMV from Edmunds on a car and then Kelley Bluebook and there is usually a big difference so I kinda just use the average of the two. Then you will have an idea if 8k would be an insult. If you are getting a loan 1500-2000 difference will probably only add (or subtract) about 30-40 bucks on your monthly payment (for a 5 yr loan).

3. Rat's tool

Rat's tool Member

pm me the vin and I can run carfax for you.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Damn you cannot beat that, good advice from Pukey, and a free carfax from the tool.

It pays to be a Fugly regular.

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

I saw that the most they could expect from a dealer is 7 large, so I should go in there and say "The most a dealer would give you is about 7 thousand, I will put a thousand on it." See if I can get 8k that way and if they still refuse I'll say "The market for toyotas is very low at the moment, as im sure you know." think thatll work?

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

But not in an aggressive manner.

"While I can appreciate your perspective of this cars value please understand my position. In the current market the incintive to simply buy new and under warranty is compelling especially given the interest rates and price incentives. I would reluctantly go a little higher than retail trade in beyond that I lose interest. Especially considering the current public perspective regarding safety issues even if I disagree. The car still takes a hit against resale value potentially if I were to need to sale it in the near future.

Like your protecting your ass not brow beating them about their car they will quickly call your bluff your the one seeking to buy it.;)

7. Fernando

Fernando Member

Oh joe and your logic, I definetly see where your coming from here, I will try it after buttering him up and such.

8. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

You can get a new Hyundai Accent 3 door for ten grand, with a 10 yr/100000 mile warranty. just saying...........

9. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

You can get a new Hyundai Accent 3 door for ten grand, with a 10 yr/100000 mile warranty.

10. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You are really pushing that Accent, aren't you?

Offering 8 can't hurt if you just throw it out there. Worst they are going to do is say no and you just get something else.

11. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

Just throwing out options.

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  14. Big_unsexy

Big_unsexy New Member

jgmjtjajtpgjmdkpjadmjhptjajaajt............WTFTW :) :3 :[]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  15. Big_unsexy

Big_unsexy New Member

lol i own a VW bug type thingy. atleast its not a Prius

16. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I heard those VW bugs are like driving a greenhouse with all of that glass. I've never been in a newer one.

17. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

We agree on one thing it seems.

18. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

BG is making a sound point here. It's often been said that the best used car you can buy is a new Hyundai... and it's true. They carry a stigma from their first introduction into the US market with regard to reliability, but those issues have been resolved, and I cannot suggest any other new vehicle to a first-time car buyer than a Hyundai. South Korea has their fucking act together, and is now a major player in the international trade.

Hyundai, itself, is not a company to scoff at. They control every aspect of their vehicle's production. Not only does Hyundai manufacture the vehicles they sell, but they also build the machines that build them, and even build the sea-faring vessels that transport them to foreign markets... Korea (South, duh) has learned much in the past few decades, and is putting it to work.

The ability to control costs of production, assembly, and shipping has allowed them to become a MAJOR threat to other companies from Japan. They offer a superior product, at a lower price, and with a better warranty. What other company can say the same? I don't own one, but if I were in the market, I'd definitely buy one.

Shit, I've heard, from a few sources, that their new luxury sedan (the one apparently advertised during that recent superbowl) can compete with such luxury Japanese pseudonyms such as Lexus or Infinity... at half the price. They're damn sexy to look at, too.

I'd buy a new Hyundai in a heartbeat if I were in the market.

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Weren't Daewoos made in S. Korea? And weren't they shitty?

But I have heard the same thing about Hyundai. They are building a rep and soon their car prices will go up and they'll be right up there with Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Kias have gotten a lot more respect than they used to and even though I like the look of the Sorento, I can't ever see me purchasing a Kia.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Kia Sorento... isn't that the one with the "How do ya like me know" commercials?

I'm like how the f#$% is this supposed to make me wanna buy their car. I guess they just are not targeting my demographic with that commercial.