Changing your driving habits?

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by nolo451, May 1, 2008.

1. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

Since gas is going up to $4 here in California, Im trying to not speed as much as I used to anymore, going like 60-65mph instead of like 80-90 like I usually do. I commute every morning to school and work, so it sucks that I have to drive 40 miles back and forth. Luckily my car gets around 36 mpg, but still, it sucks having to put $40 of gas in the tank when just three years ago it only cost $23.

Fuck I hate having to pay for gas like this.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I too have changed my habits. I drive my Acura (28MPG) instead of my 250. I also drive slower and 'short shift' instead of running it up into the higher RPMs. I filled up this morning at 3.389 a gallon, so 40.00 or so to put almost 12 gallons in it. I only fill this up twice a month.

I am in the process of getting rid of the Acura. The B18 is a higher torque non-Vtec motor so the mileage is low (its 1800cc) the 93 Civic I had got 30 consistent D16(single overhead Vtec) The accords I have had sucked. The 89 Civic I had got close to 40 every tank D15 1500CC (non-vtec)

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I just fill it up and wince knowing that when I bought the car, it cost 17 dollars to fill the tank to the point of overflowing on premium. Now I just stop at 50 on regular. I've had the car for 9 years and it's good on gas. I fill it up just short of once a month. I think it lasts about 21 days or so. I drive to work, home for lunch, back to work, back home, 5 days a week.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I am not sure why you can find diesel vehicles all over the world, other than rabbits and superduties, but you cant get them here. Like Toyota Club Cab pickups, or Isuzu, they have them everywhere else.

Maybe I need to get on eBay and see if I can find one in South America or something.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I recently bought some BG 44K fuel additive for both the car and the SUV, and I'm used to around 20-21MPG on the car (Chevy Lumina), and 19MPG on the SUV (Isuzu Rodeo.)

I know the Lumina should get better mileage with it's 3.1 V-6, and I know it's never been given the BG treatment (It is the 'Euro' package, which was more 'sport-oriented' than the standard 3.1, so that may play a factor,) but I haven't owned it long enough to really notice any decline in MPG through the years.

I've had the Rodeo since it was new, and have put 110K+ miles on it, yet never noticed any drop in MPG. I really bought the BG because I'm noticing that two of the injectors/cylinders seem to have some buildup in them (take a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope.) I'm about halfway through the tank (premium 93 octane fuel,) and the problem *seems* to be fixing itself, but time will tell.

I have noticed, however, that since picking up GTA IV, my driving habits are slipping back into the days when gas was a couple bucks a gallon...

6. warrze

warrze New Member

Move closer to your work or man up and use a hose to steal from your neighbors tank.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You just like the way the hose feels in your mouth.

On a serious note, I have considered purchasing a scooter. Not really, but a motorcycle. The only drawback is it gets hot as hell here and the last thing I want to do is ride home and have my nutz sweated to my legs.

8. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I have a company gas card so the $85 it takes to fill my guzzling Yukon isn't my money. What used to be a nice perk is now like a great salary raise!!

I do hate it for all of you, though.

Smell me.

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That'll get cut off soon.

10. phatboy

phatboy New Member

What part were you smelling?

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Riding a scooter is kinda like fucking a fat chick... Fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you on one...

12. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Couldn't say....I've never ridden a scooter.

13. big10donjuan

big10donjuan New Member

4.29 here in chicago suburbs...... crack habits are less expensive than this

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

If I could just find a fat chick to ride to work.....

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Come to SA... We're one of the fattest cities in the whole union...

Back to MPG, though... I took a road trip, and filled up shortly after getting back... Ended up getting 27 mpg in the car (3.1L V-6)... Best I get around town is around 19.

16. bassmaster2112

bassmaster2112 New Member

Its almost 4 in Az now

17. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Remarkable.

Thanks for sharing.

18. wbhartso45

wbhartso45 New Member

my hispanic gets 50 miles to the burrito so I am in good shape as long as he keeps pushing

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

They are running those down here too. Maybe they should run ads on the hemi that runs on water. that would be way more beneficial than them giving out discount gas.