Vizio

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nauseous, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Are they any good? I was going to get a small (like 22 inch) for the spare bedroom to mount on the wall and give away the 27 inch pos Philips that's in there and the stand (which I liked) to free up space.

Is that an okay brand? The tv will hardly ever be used, so I'm not looking for excellent quality but I don't want it to shit itself after a year or so.

-or- for 50 bucks more I can get a 26 inch Sanyo. Now I know Sanyo tube quality was sucky picture-wise, but I dunno. The 4 inches might make a difference (don't quote anything pervy about that).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. AzN NvAzN

AzN NvAzN New Member

Brand very good. Dogs like. 1080P for movie like in Big House.

Highest nAme! and Brand Quality!!!

Cooking show come in clear!

3. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

pay no attention to the other fuckwad. Vizio is an ok brand, made cheap to sell cheap. It is the best selling brand in the US right now (having taken the lead from Samsung) because of the price point. I sell them (and real TV's) in my part time job and I wouldn't buy one, I would go with the sanyo, were it me.

It looks like those crafty chinese took a sony apart and cloned it with cheaper parts. Don't believe anyone that tells you they are a sony brand, their parent company is Amtran out of Taiwan.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Hmmm I looked at them yesterday. They have an impressive picture and I like the way the 'Vizio' lights up, but I am a dork. The Sanyo was a better deal, but 26 inches looks small, but it's a small room.

I bought two Elements and like them (not the best picture in the world, but I am not too picky), but Circuit City is gone, so I don't know where to get one. I think they are made by Polaroid or at least that is what I was told.

5. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I dont go by name brands... we had big ass Sony that burned up in a like 6 months ... then again it was never turned OFF... same thing happened to a Panasonic. its funny how these flat tvs dont last for shit... but my grandmother's lasted forever.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

We have a Sony that gets used everyday and is still a great tv. It makes me sick to know how much our Sony was compared to how cheap they are now... I mean, I still think they are expensive but the rear projection 42 inch was almost 2 grand and you can get a flat 47 inch for around 700... can't remember the brand, but if only we have waited. Oh, well.

7. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I forgot what name brand mine is at home... it is good.. but not a big brand. however I have not watch TV on it in months... just dvds ... still have not gone under house to fix whatever the dogs fucked up.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Make your brother in law do it.

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I believe you about the Sony shit... Hell, even the reputation of their own product's longevity make the company look bad. Why anyone would want to copy it is beyond me, but I suppose it stems from the inborn dogma that Sony = quality.

The only Sony products I think are true to this stigma are those actually made in Japan. The shit they cranked out in the 90's from Malaysia is pure crap. I was an unwitting, unknowing, blissfully unaware dung beetle for a few years in that decade, but quickly learned the err of my ways.

The recent exception, IMHO, lies in Sony digital cameras. Granted, I've not owned a model any newer than their slim 5MP 'Cybershot' series, but I can attest to their quality (at least until you throw one in the washer.) I've owned a few, and aside from my own fault, have never let me down.

But, back to the tee-veeh's. To me, many of the off-brands are simply rebadging previous models from 'name brand' companies. Not to mention, 'name brand' companies are no longer made where their namesake originates, nor are they of premium quality anymore.

My opinions:

Sanyo: Liken them to Hyundai: prices have risen as their quality did.
    Mitsubishi: Some of the nicest pictures when S-Video was a premium option.
    Sony: Great picture since their inception, longevity dropped significantly, and I cared not to follow up on their durability. Still, great picture when they bring out the handmade floor model.
    Samsung: The one brand that has not let me down yet. I own several, including two of my HD sets. The one brand that I would recommend if I were asked.
    Westinghouse: Stay far away. I have a 47" or 52" LCD that I've probably used for a total of 50 hours. Great picture, but a shadow of the on-screen display is barely noticeable over the picture long after it disappears. Not too bad while watching a fast-paced movie, but I'd imagine it would piss me off if I were playing a RPG, or watching an episode of Judge Judy (possibly more than the anger I'd feel if I had to watch an episode of Judge Judy.)
    LG: The cell phone company wants to make A/V shit now? Cool. I haven't had a single problem with my 1080 up-converting DVD player, and it's probably had more use than my first Sanyo (that eventually got too picky to play burned discs.) Plus, it decodes most compressed video files, so I can play HD-quality movies off a disc, memory card, or USB with little trouble.
    Philips/Magnavox: Have not seen much of them lately, save for those digital converter boxes. SDTVs by them a few years ago had great pictures, but VCR/DVD's were obviously outsourced and quite cheap.

Fuck knows, but I swear by the colors on my SHARP Nintendo NES + Television Combo, the games look good.

10. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I've had a Vizio for two years now with now problems or regrets. It may not be as clear as an Aquos but there's not one beside it so I can't tell.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I was thinking you had one and liked it. The picture was a lot better than the Sanyo, but yeah, if the Sanyo were on it's own, I wouldn't know the difference. That's the way with the Element. It didn't look as good as the Samsung beside it, but looks fine at home.

12. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Yeah, I found the original post from SEP 07. Again, so far, so good on the Vizio. And, yes, the light up logo on the front is kewl. It may not fully exlpoit a Blu-Ray player but I haven't made that leap yet.

13. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I've had my 42" Visio for 3+ years and love it. I dont think I would buy any other brand. The picture is as good as the day we bought it and 1000% better than the Samsung HD TV we got rid of when we bought it.

We did a simple test when we bought it. Looked at all the Plasma/LCD TVs, they were all showing the little HD Demo so it was easy enough to compare. Out of all the ones they had, Sony, Samsung, LG, you name it, the Vizio had the best picture. So we went with it. The price back then wasnt cheap. 1399 for the 42. We would have went with the 50, but our mantle isnt very big, and the 50 would have consumed the whole wall and made it look small. I like the wall mount because it does save a ton of space, the only crappy thing is that you have all the cable stuff (DVR) and DVD stuff, that you still have to put somewhere. Not to mention the Wii and 360.

I would give it 5 out of 5, especially now that the 42 is around 800.

Oh, the skinny

42" Vizio LCD 1080i

14. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

This the reason why I have expanded basic. I don't give a flying gnat's ass about HD. I just wanted a tv on the wall to save space. So in the living room, it's above the mantel with no DVD player, no nothing, but no one watches it anyway. In my room, I just have the tv on the wall and I use the DVD player so infrequently that I just plug it in when I need it, using the jacks on the side. I'll do the same with the spare bedroom. Husband has the old 42" Sony Grand Wega in his room with all the shit attached to it... heh, and his room is small so that tv takes up a ton of space. :)

But the Wega has the best picture hands down.

Oh, and I might buy the box so I can watch Netflix shit because plugging the laptop into the tv is too big of a pain in the ass when it's on the wall.

15. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

One of the biggest complaints with vizio's is that the remote receiver on a large number stop working and need costly repairs. Nothing personal but most TV repair men will tell you that vizio's are junk inside. They are perfect for walmart and other stores like them, cheap tv's for people that can't afford a good tv. My brother-in-law has a 42" Vizio and likes it just fine. I've seen more vizio's returned where I work than all the other brands combined.

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I must have gotten lucky. Our remote has been dropped, kicked, and split open several times and I have been able to put it back together and it hasnt skipped a beat. So what are the 'high end' LCD tvs going for?

What exactly is a 'good' tv?

I hate to think of myself as too poor to afford a 'good' TV, maybe smart enough to not pay for hype and a brand name. If I had found a TV with a better picture I would have bought it. That was the determining factor in the purchase, not how much it cost. Steak and Potatos, not caviar and baluga, I want what works, not a name dropping symbol that I can make myself feel important using.

"Oh, the Vizio is fine if your poor, but the Aquos is a much more expensive model, so it must be better. Who would drive a Honda, a Mercedes is a much higher quality car, right?"

17. phatboy

phatboy New Member

From Consumer Reports Website

"However, comments to a 2008 blog on the brand, as well as our discussion board on LCD TVs, include many complaints about the reliability of the brand’s sets, particularly after its one-year in-house repair warranty has expired. Some also complained about Vizio’s customer service.

In fact, our most recent reliability survey data (available to subscribers) shows that the rate of repairs for Vizio TVs has beens quite low, and comparable to its competition. The survey, which covered more than 168,000 LCD and plasma TVs bought between 2005 and 2008, showed that the repair rate for Vizio LCD TVs was 3 percent, the average for all 16 LCD brands covered in the survey. Perhaps just as important, Vizio was one of a small number of companies that stood out for ease of repair, meaning there were few, if any, issues getting the set repaired in a timely fashion.

The bottom line? We see no evidence of a reliability problem for Vizio, nor that the brand’s customer service is lacking when sets do break. Rather, even reliable TV brands have some sets that fail, and their owners are understandably disappointed, especially if they fail after the warranty has expired.

Then why so many Vizio complaints on our site, compared with those for other brands? With anecdotal reports, it’s hard to say. In this case, owners of broken Vizios might have reached our blog when they searched online for information on the brand’s reliability, and left comments on their experiences. While these comments provide rich and interesting reading, they also leave an impression of unreliability that our data does not support."

So it looks like people like to read the internet and draw their own conclusions from others experiences without having their own experiences. I can see how that can lead to the spreading of misinformation.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  18. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

Last time I checked CR they rated vizios no higher than tenth from the top on all sizes, maybe things have changed.

19. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I have 2 points to make

1. beluga IS caviar...

2. the Arab paid big bucks for a big ass Sony ... broke, then he got a Panasonic ... burned up ,,, I also broke a few ...
    I do not go with the name brand hype.
    I do not even know what name brand mine is... but I did get it a Walmart.

and saying "its ok for the poor" is a stupid comment. I know plenty of piss poor people that are driving cars over 50K and have crazy insane expensive shit in their house. While people with money... buy cheap shit... cause they dont the need to impress.
    Drive in any trailer park and look at the nice cars... many poor people are stupid and are poor because they spend money on stupid shit.
    I make it a point to comment on the fingernails of chicks working at fast food... and I say "wow I could never afford to keep those up"
    So yeah Shenequa making 8$ an hour at McDonalds will spend 60-80$ every 2 weeks for acrylic nails... and 40$ a week for her hair... while someone like me would never... and find it stupid.

Am I making a point...

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

The remote receiver? Are you referring to the actual sensing element that looks like an L.E.D. or the circuitry that operates it? If it's the former, then everything over $5 in the 'costly repairs' is labor or bullshit.

I thought it was a species of whale.

What did I say about Sony?

I repeat:

WHAT THE FUCK did I say about Sony?!?

;)

A perfectly valid point, for sure.

You've outlined something that most people just don't fucking seem to get. These are the same stupid fucking people that bitch when they realize that their social security isn't going to be enough to retire on.

Hell-the-fuck-O. Introduce the concept of credit to an inept person, and HOLY SHIT! All of a sudden you're putting a Cadillac in their driveway. A HD projector in their bathroom. Hell, probably even their damn house, too. Never mind the fact that they're working retail in an hourly position and their job is contingent on the nature of the economy.

People just don't fucking think anymore. Look around. I bet you know a few people that fit this description. Hell, maybe YOU fit this description! (This is not directed at the author of the post I'm replying to, rather to the reader.)

People in this country have been encouraged by both the media and the government to live outside their means.

We've succeeded in inflating the status quo to a level in which it never existed in.

This is, indeed, a fail-safe tactic that could be used to shift our population's consensus towards a state-run economy (or entire business/governing structure.) NOT A GOOD IDEA - unless you fancy the notion of living like a slave. :rolleyes: