ever been to Disney World?

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by moremetal4mepls, Feb 23, 2009.

1. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

Taking our first real family vacation, we are taking the kids to Disney World.
    Unfortunally time and money are not really on our side but we are going anyway. So my question is which parks would be worth visiting with a 6 & 9 year old? Any additional info on cool shit to see in Florida would be mucho appriciated too.

2. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Universal Studios was much more fun and interesting than Disney. It is right next door. Both are cool. Do Disney one day, and Universal the next. Worth the trip.

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Scar them for life. Drop them off at the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, then go spend the day in a hotel like everyone else does... ;)

4. MissPist

MissPist New Member

I went last year and missed it all bc I got sick but, i know that the evening fireworks are not to be missed, especially for the younger children. Fast passes are best though every dollar will be sucked from yr wallet. The Parade is fun from what i remember as a very young child. The big rides are overrated. The waterparks are fun as well. Information desks do help a little. Epcot is (from what I hear ) a bit like going back in time.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

For the 6 and 9 year old the Magic Kingdom and the MGM Studios (all Disney) will be best. When they get a little older Universals Islands of Adventure is much better (only because the rides are catered to an older crowd).

MGM, Disneys Hollywood Studios, if I remember correctly, has the Rock and Roll roller coaster, the Hollywood Tower Hotel, Jurasic Park, the stunt show, the Indiana Jones show, The Spiderman ride, there is a lot of stuff, more catered to the kids.

The Islands of Adventure park has more thrills, but your 6, and probably your 9, year olds wont be able to ride. Actually I think the spiderman ride might be at the universal park. It's been a while since we went down there.

We are planning on going again in 2010, for the last time, since the kids are getting older and really wont be in to it much longer.

If you can go labor day week I recomend it. The schools down there havent let out yet, so you dont have to deal with all the parents ditching their kids in the AM and picking them up at 5.

6. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I almost went last Xmas, and we got sick at the airport. Last week I was checking out prices and times to go. This year I am going to try to PLAN trips...we always do last minute stuff, and it ends up costing more.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I have never been anywhere. I think I would like to see Universal Studios but I wouldn't like to be around all of the people and I wouldn't fly so I will never go.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Oh, and by never been anywhere, that means that I have never seen the ocean and people gasp when they hear that. I see it as no big loss. It looks ugly and flat and overpopulated and dirty. If I wanted to see it, I would. I guess it's more like I don't ever want to go anywhere.

9. Schmed

Schmed New Member

Make sure they go on the Haunted House rife (just beware of hitchhiking ghosts) and be sure and take them on Space Mountain.

10. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

The best thing in the whole park is the vibrating foot massagers. They are well worth the quarter. My feet hurt bad, and the foot buzzers felt like heaven. The second best part was watching all the women vibrate their feet. The thing is VERY powerful, and sends a strong vibrationa all the way up to your waist. It was obvious that the women's feet hurt more than the mens.

The Spiderman ride was unbelieveable. I have spend many hours on the sea without being seasick, but I actually got a little queasy from that ride. It only lasts a few minutes, so you probably won't puke. It was incrediible.

I also liked the Earthquake and and the Twister movie theme shows. It felt like you were actually in a Tornando. Very creepy, but really interesting.

The best thing we did was to go to a sit down show that explained how special effects are done. It was geared for adults with a lot of humor that was over the kids heads. Overall it was the best part of the trip. Do it after your feet get tired and you are hot and the kids are sleepy. You get to sit for an hour or more in an airconditioned auditorium. The kids can nap, and you can chill.

PS - Bugs loves the Hulk rollercoaster ride. It is great for lossening any bowel impactions that you may have. Just ask her.

PS II - Get a speed pass. Waiting in lines for an hour sucks.

PS III A set of cheap Walkie Talkies are wonderful. Our cell phones did not work well in the park. We bought a pair of Walkie Talkies for about $29.00, and they worked perfectly. (That way Dad can sit on watch all the girls vibrate their feet, and mom and the kids can explore the park without getting lost.)

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I take it Mom doesn't get on the computer that often, eh?

And by Walkie-Talkies... Do you mean FM Transceivers? Or the kid versions with the Morse code sticker legend on the front?

12. MissPist

MissPist New Member

I still think the whole disney thing is the evil. I know those big round ears of Mickey Mouse hide hideous devil horns ready to poke everyone in the ass. I had fun at the bars at night. What a loser, huh? I managed to get kicked out of some creepy biker bar named "Cheers". Once you leave the airport in orlando there should be a sign that says - Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Perhaps i'm just being a tad bitter.

13. bumhitter

bumhitter New Member

ive been to both and disney sucks in comparison to universal studios

14. MissPist

MissPist New Member

Dammit I meant arrive in Orlando. Drinking and typing doesn't mix.

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

It fits in here perfectly.

Cheaper than a Fast Pass - Take granny. Put her in a wheel chair and voom, you are at the front of all the lines. We took my mother in law with us and it worked out perfectly. She had knee replacement surgery and couldnt walk around all day, so we got her a motorized wheel chair the first day, then just a push one the second. We never waited in line for a ride.

Disney was crowded, but Universal was empty, I guess the way school lets out helped out. We rode the 'Hulk' witouth waiting, got on the first car and everything. That ride was awesome. Not like the crap at 6 flags where you wait two hours for a 30 second ride.

Dr. Dooms tower of terror was fun too, just dont look down when it snatches you up, it will really put a crick in your neck.

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Have not been to Disney world since the 70s so I don't think my input should count much.

Went to Disneyland in 91.

No one mentioned Bush Gardens isn't that right over there also?

17. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

Thanks for all the info guys, we have decided to visit Magic Kingdom and MGM. I have been looking on line for good deals on tickets, but have not had much luck. We are going on spring break, so I bet its gona be crazy crowded, but thats when my sons birthday falls on, and he gets in free. So I suppose I will be looking into these fast passes one of you told me about. Oh also, do they serve alcohol any where @ DW?