How difficult...

Discussion in 'General Mayhem' started by Fernando, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

is it to change spark plugs by myself. I never did it before, but I hear it's rather easy. I know enough about cars to change oil and jump it.

2. Bluelola

Bluelola New Member

It's ridiculously easy, just go for it.

3. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

make sure to spray your hands, face, neck, and chest liberally with Pam cooking spray before you start.

4. Ragnorok

Ragnorok New Member

I've never jumped oil before.

5. JEFE

JEFE New Member

It depends on how much you know about it and if you've done it before. If you're a mechanic, probably not very hard. If you're a quadriplegic, it's going to be damn near impossible.

What kind of a car is it? Older cars are easier than newer ones. I have a 97 Toyota pickup and changing the spark plugs is really tough because everything is so compact. I have to take other parts off just to get to a few of the plugs.

You're going to need a socket wrench, a spark plug socket (that fits your particular plugs), spark plugs (obviously) but you have to 'gap' them correctly so you'll need a spark-plug-gapper and you'll need to know how to gap them and to what size and blah blah blah

This is why there are places like Precision Tune. It's like 50 bucks for a tune-up.

But it's not any more difficult than changing the oil, I don't think.

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

I got a 4 cylinder 91 camry. It's pretty spaced out in there.

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

This is a quote from a Toyota bulletin board:

I have this same problem with my truck. The plugs are very very deep in the engine, so you have to get a socket wrench extension and make sure that the plug socket you have has a gasket in it that will 'grip' the plug, once you unscrew it.

Here's the link to that page, which has a lot of helpful tips.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56928

8. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Gen3 Camaro spark plug replacement is stupid difficult.

There is some money to be made for someone who wants to make a holesaw kit that has what is needed to cut a hole through the wheel well for the two passenger side rear plugs. As it stands yo need to remove the alternator and brackets as well as the same for the a/c compressor. Then go ahead and save some time and frustration by actually unbolting the motor mount and jacking the engine up to get more clearance from the top.

After a days worth of frustration opt for the AC Delco platinum plugs so you will not have to fool with it for few years.

9. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I used to have an 87' Mustang and used some spark plugs called Split-Fire and they lasted forever and saved on gas mileage too.

http://www.splitfire.com/

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah I remember when they came out. I'm not gonna diss them as b.s. because I have hed a few people say they liked them that I knew were decient mechanics. But a spark AFAIK is only gonna jump from one point to one point following the least path of resistance. I always wanted to see one pulled out of a street engine after say 20k miles. I bet one branch is fouled and the other shows typical carbon buildup where it was arching. But I digress you are not the first person to tell me they were great. I'm always a skeptic though it's my nature.

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

The trick is that you have to cross-connect the main power leads to the flux capacitor, being careful to note polarity, and keep it live while you discharge the fusion reactor capacitor. Once you've done that, you can safely remove the pulley system that delivers the 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity needed to transcend the space-time continuum.

Essentially, a piece of cake.

12. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

you make it seem easy, but you forgot that you must hit 88 MPH

13. phatboy

phatboy New Member

My honda sparkplugs are relatively easy to change. You need an extension for your plug socket though, they are about 4-6 inches deep, they go throught the top of the cylinder head, (kinda like a Hemi).

Most newer cars have too much Computer crap in them to actually be easy to get to. The Hemi I had was pretty easy, the SuperDuty I have now, probably going to be more PITA than the Hemi....oh well.