We need

Discussion in 'Complaints, Requests and Suggestions.' started by Nauseous, May 23, 2007.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

a medical section. Not that psycho babble bullshit, but a legit medical section so I... I mean we can talk about what ails us.

Like I have had diarrhea and an upset stomach for days. My poop was green but I am pretty sure it was from the Fierce Grape Gatorade. I love Gatorade. It is all that I will drink. Orange is my favorite.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't need medical advice with this ailment. I have had IBS for 10 years. I also have GERD. I like having stuff that I can abbreviate. HIV, here I come!

3. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Here's another: TMI

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

No, no... never too much information. I love to talk shit (literally). Lomo and I used to have tons of shitty conversations. He's a real good shit talker.

5. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Thanks, Vanna, I'd like to buy a bowel, please.

6. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Comic Genius. It must be Dave...

7. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

Gatoraide is one of the worst things you can drink. It's just sugar and sodium (sugar and salt)

8. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I've heard that Gatorade has no polyelectrolytes but PowerAde does. Myth? Fact? Trivial?

9. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Dr Dwaine just diagnosed you correctly Pukie. Gatorade is loaded with Potassium. I am willing to bet a huge part of your problemsa re from a potassium overdose. I have had several client with the problem. I am absolutely not kidding.

read this - "Signs of potassium overload include muscle fatigue and an irregular heartbeat. Even in small doses, potassium supplements may cause stomach irritation and nausea."

I have also noticed profuse sweating and panic attacks. Sound familiar?

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

BAM!

Maj honestly if you were in a conversation with a group do you pull those off like that? Or is the advantage of texting in a forum evident here?

Also Barry beat me to it but i was thinking the same thing. The Gatorade is likely a source of at least part of the problem.

Cut back on the Gatoraid and eat lots of yogert. on a daily basis for like two weeks and let me know if your feeling better. Trust me I was a diesel mechanic before I got into IT I know these kind of things.

*last part added for irony of course*

*along with all those various gramatical inconsistancies DAN*

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't drink that much Gatorade. Probably less than 16 fl oz. a day and I just started doing it recently because I crave it. And Gatorade is not loaded with potassium. 710 ml (less than what I consume each day) contains 80 mg of Potassium. That is 2% of a 2,000 calorie diet. So it has absolutely nothing to do with any ailments that I have. Simmer down now! :eek:

I think I am going to blame the onions I have eaten on my veggie dogs for the last few days for my sickness. I think my IBS is just acting up again.

Now diagnose what causes my daily vertigo. It's like being spun around in circles and suddenly stopping and it happens throughout the day. I still have that buzzing action (although it doesn't seem as bad lately) in my ear but two DRs haven't seen anything when they look with their gay little otoscope. I know I am a hypochondriac, but aren't DRs being paid to find out what is wrong with you? I don't appreciate being given a fucking antidepressant or some weak dosage of Xanax for heart palps... like I have for all of these years. Actually, the heart palps and my somewhat elevated BP have gotten a lot better since I got back on the BCP. I don't take the beta blockers. My pulse is in the 80's now, which is low for me. Beta blockers made my chest feel tight when I did things that should elevate my heart.

I also have terrible electric pains in my neck and shoulder. My neck "thuds" (as my bf puts it) when I lean my head back and turn it to the right. It's loud and gross-sounding. Could a pinched nerve or some neck issue cause vertigo?

12. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

thats still too much, trust me on this, I drank gatorade like water when I worked in the summer glass shop, and it put me in the ER one night like i was having a heart attack. my blood pressure was 210 over 145, all because of the gatoraide. I was having severe muscle cramps, sweating , like i had OD'ed on meth. I stopped rink that crap, no more panic attacks, and my blood pressure has almost normalized (on high days its 140 over 85). Stop drinking gatoraide for two weeksm, and see ifthere is any difference. if not, I'll buy you a pallate of that sugary swill

13. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Actually if you are having diarrhea gatorade is about what you should be drinking. It is true that you normally wouldn't need any extra sodium and the sugar isn't good for you but with diarrhea if it is truley diarrhea where you are losing alot of water you should be replacing electrolytes as well. Just drinking water doesn't do that. That is why little kids with severe diarrhea are given gatorade or something like that if they can still drink by mouth and don't need IV fluids like Saline.

14. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Of course I am assuming you are having watery diarrhea and what you call diarrhea and what someone else does may be different.

15. Michelle

Michelle New Member

If it is truley diarrhea. Diarrhea causes a potassium loss however without being able to do an electrolyte panel on her I can't say for sure what her potassium is.
    It is possible that your symptoms were related to all the sugar and your diabetes.

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

If you don't mind the taste of yogurt then I seriously recommend you to try it. A lot of medications these days especially antibiotics mess up your bodies natural... what's the word for it Dan? Flora? I don't know why I should ask Dan though he will just argue. But I had increasingly worse heartburn over about 10 years. I started taking pro-biotics and eating a lot of yogurt. It went away. I keep yogurt around my wife eats it often. I rarely have heartburn now and can pretty much eat what I like. If I do it’s for obvious reasons like eating spicy pork rinds and drinking o.j.

17. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

We call it the "screen-door shits."

18. Michelle

Michelle New Member

If you have Gastric esophageal reflux disease or GERD then you may want to have that checked out and take a "proton pump inhibiter" like omeprazole or an H2 blocker like ranitidine. The reason is that reflux predisposes to esophageal cancer specifically adenocarcinoma. When the acid causes changes in the cells of the esophagaus changing them from columnar epithelium to squamous cells turn into columnar cells not normally present.

""" Barrett esophagus: This condition, which affects the lining of the lower esophagus is often associated with long-term reflux of stomach and duodenal fluids into the lower esophagus. One estimate from a Swedish study estimates that about 1.6% of their population over age 18 had Barrett esophagus. This would mean about 3 million people in the United States. Only about 56% of these people with Barrett esophagus had symptoms of "heartburn," while the others had no symptoms at all. Barrett esophagus is a risk factor for the adenocarcinoma type of cancer of the esophagus. This is because the abnormal cells in Barrett esophagus can progress over time to become dysplasia, a pre-cancerous condition. Dysplasia is characterized by degrees, or grades, with high-grade dysplasia being the most abnormal. People with Barrett esophagus are anywhere from 30 to 125 times more likely than people without this condition to develop esophageal cancer. Although the exact risk of developing cancer in people with Barrett esophagus is not known, researchers estimate it to be only 1 in 200 per year.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): Whether or not Barrett esophagus has been diagnosed, long-standing gastroesophageal reflux disease, also called GERD, increases the risk of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. Heartburn is one of the main symptoms of GERD, although GERD can occur without symptoms. A recent Gallup poll found that 44% of adults in the United States have heartburn at least once per month. About 30% of esophageal cancer cases can be linked to GERD.

Tobacco: The use of tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco, is a major risk factor for esophageal cancer. The longer a person uses tobacco, the higher the cancer risk. The risk for the adenocarcinoma type of esophageal cancer is doubled in smokers of a pack or more a day. More than half of all squamous cell type of esophageal cancer is linked to smoking.

Alcohol: Long-term heavy drinking of alcohol is an important risk factor for esophageal cancer, mainly the squamous cell type. Although alcohol is probably not as strong a risk factor as smoking, the combination of smoking and drinking alcohol raises a person's risk much more than using either alone. """"

19. Michelle

Michelle New Member

20. Michelle

Michelle New Member

You're right that it's possible that taking antibiotics can cause Pseuodmembrane colitis by overgowth of a bacteria called clostridium difficile. This happens because the C. difficile bacteria is not affected by the antibiotics and the rest can be killed off allowing the overgrowth of c. difficile. However, if a doctor prescibes anitbiotics you should take them. If you happened to develop psuedomembrane colitis (unlikely) he/she can just prescribe metronidazole another antibiotic that kills c. difficile.

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic181.htm

It is never a good idea to take limited medical knowledge and try to extrapolate it out as more often that not "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing". The people that were accepted to med school were accepted because they were excellent students. On top of that they have many, many years of training and experience treating common illnesses. You can't hope to compete with that in terms of medical advice or trying to make sense of something you're not educated about. If you think something is not right with what the doctor is telling you get a second opinioin FROM A DOCTOR.