we are the world

Discussion in 'Random Media' started by BIGMAMA, Feb 13, 2010.

1. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Well was there any logic at all what so ever to his statement?

3. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I mean yeah there a few clips of famous singers singing to them and they are dancing... but I am 100% sure those kids are not having a party all day long. But yeah if they want to hit the heart strings of America.. show the tragic pics and clips... not kids dancing.

I dont have sound right now.. so I dont even know what the song sounds like... I could just tell they have some rappers looking like they are bustin out some rymes. .. is it the same song as the old one?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I hear what you are saying and I did not watch the video actually. The orig song as I remember "We are the world, we are the children,
    we are the ones to make a brighter place/day?,
    so lets start building?" Something like that.

The wisdom I see in the SN statement is that its not all about money really. There is a GREAT movie that if you have not seen you should see it. And I know most people who I mention this to assume I have racist reasons for liking this movie but I honestly do not.

The movie is: ... gotta go look it up. "The Gods Must Be Crazy" Its a great movie very hilarious, and the native African tribe that play a big part in the move have virtually nothing and are very happy living that way. The movie actually plays out giving one the same feeling as if they read an Aesops fable. It points out the moral of the story being that we are not so smart as we think. The fools are largely the supposedly more advanced culture and the tribe the wise ones. Once again if you have not watched it I highly recommend you do.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

6. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

That song fucking blows just like the original.. same chorus and I think the same words, but I didn't listen enough to the old one to know for sure. Even though it was in a lot of tape decks in the 80's when I was a huge deal.

It doesn't warm my plastic heart and it sure as hell doesn't make me want to give anything but a brick in Bab's face.

Bunch of rich people singing about poor people to less poor people.

What exactly are they trying to rebuild? That place is SHITHOLE!!!!!! It's full of disease. They live on two bucks a day, 90% the kids have worms, 5% of the adults have HIV and the crime rate is horrendous. If I were to donate anything to these people, I would want my money to go to the sterilization of any potential breeders.

The same people whining and crying to give are the same fucking people who wouldn't help out a homeless American because, "They're just going to go use that money to buy beer or drugs." Hypocritical as hell.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1134.html

"There are no "safe” areas in Haiti. There is a persistent danger of violent crime, which can be subject to periodic surges sometimes not obviously explained by other events or conditions. Haiti is among the four most important countries for drug transit to the United States. Law and order in Haiti has steadily deteriorated as a result. Kidnapping, death threats, murders, drug-related shootouts, armed robberies, home break-ins and car-jacking are common in Haiti. Generally, these crimes are committed by Haitians against other Haitians, although several foreigners and U.S. citizens have been victimized. The incidence of kidnapping in Haiti has diminished from its peak in 2006 when 60 U.S, citizens were reported kidnapped. In 2008, there were 27 reported kidnappings of U.S. citizens, and as of September 2009, one U.S. citizen had been reported kidnapped. Many U.S. citizens who were kidnapped reported being beaten and/or raped by their hostage takers. Kidnapping remains the most critical security concern. Kidnappers have frequently targeted children.

U.S. citizens who travel to Haiti should exercise a high degree of caution throughout the country. Travelers should keep valuables well hidden, ensure possessions are not left in parked vehicles, use private transportation, alternate their travel routes, and keep doors and windows in homes and vehicles closed and locked. U.S. citizens should avoid all night-time travel due to poor road conditions and increased criminal activity after dark. They should be alert for suspicious onlookers when entering and exiting banks, as criminals often watch and subsequently attack bank customers. Withdrawals of large amounts of cash should be avoided.

Criminal perpetrators often operate in groups of two to four individuals, and may occasionally be confrontational and gratuitously violent. Criminals sometimes will seriously injure or kill those who resist their attempts to commit crime. In robberies or home invasions, it is not uncommon for the assailants to beat or shoot the victim in order to limit the victim's ability to resist. If an armed individual demands the surrender of a vehicle or other valuables, the U.S. Embassy recommends compliance without resistance. This recommendation also applies in the event of a kidnapping. Visitors to Haiti should exercise caution at all times and review basic personal security procedures frequently.
    U.S. citizens in Haiti must be particularly alert when arriving from overseas at the Port-au-Prince airport, as criminals have often targeted arriving passengers for later assaults and robberies. The use of public transportation, including "tap-taps" (private transportation used for commercial purposes) should be avoided. Visitors to Haiti should arrange for someone known to them to meet them at the airport.

U.S. citizens should decline all requests to carry items for others to or from Haiti. Traffickers of illegal drugs have duped unsuspecting travelers into helping transport narcotics aboard commercial airlines.

Certain high-crime zones in the Port-au-Prince area should be avoided, including Croix-des-Bouquets, Carrefour, Martissant, the port road (Boulevard La Saline), urban route Nationale #1, the airport road (Boulevard Toussaint L'Ouverture) and its adjoining connectors to the New ("American") Road via Route Nationale #1 (which should also be avoided). This latter area in particular has been the scene of numerous robberies, carjackings, and murders. Embassy employees are prohibited from remaining in the downtown area after dark or entering Cite Soleil and La Saline and their surrounding environs due to significant criminal activity. Neighborhoods in Port-au-Prince once considered relatively safe, such as the Delmas road area and Petionville, have been the scenes of an increasing number of violent crimes.

Cameras and video cameras should only be used with the permission of the subjects; violent incidents have followed unwelcome photography. Their use should be avoided altogether in high-crime areas.

Holiday periods, especially Christmas and Carnival, often bring a significant increase in criminal activity. Haiti's Carnival season is marked by street celebrations in the days leading up to Ash Wednesday. In recent years, Carnival has been accompanied by civil disturbances, altercations and severe traffic disruptions. People attending Carnival events or simply caught in the resulting celebrations have been injured and killed. Random stabbings during Carnival season are frequent. Roving musical bands called “rah-rahs” operate during the period from New Year's Day through Carnival. Being caught in a rah-rah event may begin as an enjoyable experience, but the potential for injury and the destruction of property is high. A mob mentality can develop unexpectedly leaving people and cars engulfed and at risk. During Carnival, rah-rahs continuously form without warning; some rah-rahs have identified themselves with political entities, lending further potential for violence.

The Haitian police are understaffed, poorly equipped and unable to respond to most calls for assistance. There are continued allegations of police complicity in criminal activity. The unsatisfactory response and enforcement capabilities of the Haitian national police and the weakness of the judiciary frustrate many victims of crime in Haiti. In the past, U.S. citizens involved in business and property disputes in Haiti have been arrested and detained without charge, and have been released only after intervention at high levels of the Haitian Government.

In many countries around the world, counterfeit and pirated goods are widely available. Transactions involving such products may be illegal under local law. In addition, bringing them back to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines."

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

So in a sense, you are saying that giving your money to Haiti is the same as throwing it in a trashcan? Because essentially, it will go back to the disease ridden poor country that it was before all of this?

I have read a lot of shit online in forums and whatnot basically saying that you are a racist if you don't give to Haiti. Reminds me a lot of the election and how you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama... which you know is why all the white celebs starting wearing their Obama shirts and now they are throwing up the Haiti flags. What were they doing before for Haiti? Lemme guess, not a damn thing. Should it really take a natural disaster to get people to give a little? Says a lot about mankind, IMO.

8. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

Just don't be sending my relatives down there to brighten up anyone's day. We prefer middle to upper middle class families. We like the real houses or even under the dining room table loftlike mansions. We DO NOT like playing in dirt. We DO NOT like our corvettes driving over human excrement. My ass might say China, but my head screams America!

I'm not begrudging needy people their right to help. I just have a problem with where hearts of the people who are getting in your face and preaching give give give are.