Steak + frying pan + cold beer = heaven

Discussion in 'Fizood' started by JEFE, Jun 8, 2008.

1. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I can't think of any dinner I enjoy more than a steak, seared in a cast iron frying pan, slapped down on a plate and enjoyed with a cold beer.

It's just the most basic and delicious thing I can imagine.

I don't like what most people consider "good steak" either. My favorite is a cut that's usually labeled as London Broil, although that's actually a way of preparing steak and not an actual cut of meat.

Top Round is what it actually is. It's a very lean cut and it's my favorite. I heat up a skillet until it's screaming hot, add a little oil and sear the outside of the steak, adding just a little bit of salt and pepper.

After that, it's just an hour or so of drinking beer and slicing off little slivers of steak until I eventually fall asleep, happy and content.

If I ran a couple miles or lifted weights it always seems to taste better because I can just feel the beef soaking in to my body and revitalizing it.

It's hard to explain how great this feels but I'm about to enjoy this tonight, thanks to a sale at the market on cheap steak and a sale at the adjoining liquor store on Bear Republic, Racer-5 IPA.

I'm in heaven.

2. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

i like ribeyes myself

3. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I've heard ribeyes are really good but I don't think I've ever really tried one. How do you cook it?

4. JEFE

JEFE New Member

5. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

a little seasalt, fresh cracked pepper, a few cloves of minced garlic, and a good brush of high quality olive oil, then either on a iron skillet, or the geroge forman grill until medium rare. if i use the cast iron, i make a quick Beur blanc with white wine, butter, cracked black pepper, and a few capers.

6. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

if oyu come through NC, Ill whip up a Ribeye, a bur blanc, some twice smashed potatoes, and a 12 pack of stella to wash it sdown

7. Fugly

Fugly Administrator Staff Member Fugly Staff

You're on. That sounds delicious.

8. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

just let me know when you are coming through

9. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I am komink and komink. It's like I am komink all the time...

10. DangerousD

DangerousD New Member

Three words why I don't eat bloody steaks. Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis.

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

If you think mad cow can be cooked out of a steak you are retarded. You could turn a 32oz steak into a huckey puck and its still there.

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I cooked three ribeyes last night, They were packaged as "Del Monaco" I think the ribeye is a great steak to cook different than your typical leaner cut. It is one of the few steaks I enjoy cooked slow because it has so much fat in it and is actually good and tender still if you do it right. This steak is good with a season just be careful not to over season. Season soaks into this steak like a sponge.

Ribeye is the best red meat in my humble opinion for slow smoke. The fat cooks out of it and it is still tender and juicy.

Jeff if you like the flavor of a London broil as I do also I bet you like a good top sirloin. Personally my favorite it has a stronger meaty taste. Whenever I see the petite sirloins on sale here I pick them up and while I do not pan fry them I dl like to sear them really fast since it is a lean cut of meat it is one that I like medium rare.

The new flat iron steak is somewhere in the same range of flavor, and a cheap alternative.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

True dat. The disease is caused by prions. Simply put, prions are proteins that can cause disease. Prions aren't alive, so you can't kill them. Proteins can be inactivated by denaturing them (e.g., extreme heat, certain chemical agents), but these same processes usually destroy food, so there isn't an effective method to decontaminate beef.

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I did not know that .... but then again what do you expect I'm not a doctor. :p

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I was under the impression that even if you practically nuked these things the prion was still there.