Sold My Acura.....

Discussion in 'Cars' started by phatboy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Well sorta, the GI I sold it to is making payments, I keep the car till he pays the full amount.

So I have been scouring craigslist, all over the south. I have found a ton of stuff. Now I think I am gonna by like 3 cars and then just sell them later.

It's nuts.

So here is what Im looking for, if I find the right deal I might jump.

94-01 Dodge Ram Reg Cab 4x4 (Sentiments)
    79-86 Jeep CJ-7
    87-94 Jeep Wrangler

I will settle for something else if the deal is right. I found a truck that I thought about getting, then getting another crappy car for work. So far I have had good luck weeding out the real ads from the fakes.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Boring. Get some cool 80's cars.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

There wasnt a lot of cools cars in the 80s.

I have looked at a Mustang Convertible, it was an 87 GT.

There were some cool 70s cars, but I dont want to get someone else's junk.

I did find a lincoln hard top with the suicide doors in back, it needed a ton of work though. (similar to the one on the opening of Enterouge but just not convertible).

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

This is the Dodge I was looking at...

and this is the jeep

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That truck is beat the hell up. I think the Dodge's grill looks dated.

I've never liked Jeep Wranglers.

Not trying to rain on your parade. Just giving my 2 ¢.

6. phatboy

phatboy New Member

The dodge would need a lot of cosmetic work, which isnt too big a deal. The jeep, I found out, has a lot of rust. I alway kinda wanted a jeep, I did find a couple of 90s 300zx but they were pretty weak. The nice one was white, 2200.00 and said that the back 'was ful o dem big speakahs' so I scratched it off the short list.

:)

7. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Trouble with used trucks and Jeeps is that they're typically not just 'used' but 'used up.'

Hard to find a good used workhorse.

A lot of people like to haul around Jeeps behind their motorhomes - those are a good find. Odometer may show 100K, but everything but the wheels may only have 30K on it.

Is it just me, but does the Jeep in the picture looks like it's got half a lift kit installed (front only?)

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You get of of them in black with cloth interior and you sell it to me. How about that? How far away are you?

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

The jeep is sagging pretty bad. Those 20+ year old leaf springs would have to go. This is just something I am going to drive to work. I still have my 250, I just dont like driving it to the Acid plant.

Im in Georgia, but Ive been checking the craigslists from Atlanta to Jacksonville to Charlotte.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Go for the Jeep.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Forget the Jeep. Get something that will hold value and doesn't have vinyl windows. :)

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

The sad thing is Jeeps down here, in good condition, sell for around 9k.

I think I found a truck. The GI is going to pay me the last 1200.00 on Friday, so I will really pick up my search efforts later in the week.

13. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Cannot argue with the vinyl windows but Jeeps hold their value real well. That's why I recommended it.

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I sold the Acura for 2200. I have been scouring craigslist the last couple of weeks looking for jewels in the rough (no not family jewels). I have a friend that has a pretty extensive knowledgs of Hondas and we are going to go into psuedo business together. I am going to get me another vehicle to drive, the truck I found is only 1350. So I am going to pick up one of these 'shell only' Civics for 300.00 and rebuild it, sell it for around 3k. Depending on the year. I can get a motor for 400.00 and CV axles are only about 60.00 each, a clutch and a pressure plate around 100.00 total. So we will rebuild and sell, take out what we each put in and split the leftover.

Depending on the model and year 3500.00 is easy, if we happen upon a real gem, one that just needs a distributor (200.00) we can flip it as soon as the title comes in.

I bought an Accord for 400.00 in good shape, it wouldnt start. I put in a distributor and it cranked right up. Paid 200.00 for the distributor, drove it for 2 months and sold it for 1500.00.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

After all that why not also replace the brakes, rotors, drums, Bearings, races, struts, alternator, tires, wiper blades. When you look at your parts prices check out RockAuto.com they have always been real reasonably priced for me I have used them often.

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Joe, quick math problem

Subtract 'Initial Cost' + 'Repair Cost' from 'Sale Price' = 'profit'

1500.00 - (400.00 + 200.00) = 900.00

Had I done all that work I wouldnt have made any money.

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Car flippers. You should get your own reality show.

18. phatboy

phatboy New Member

No, cause then people would be all pissed at me.

'Hey you only paid 400.00 for the car you sold to me for 1500.00, I want my money back'.

19. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

That's the price you pay when you don't know anything about cars.

I get mad at the house flipper shows. This hick bitch the other day was selling a house with a flooded backyard and wouldn't pay to fix it and said that she hoped the people would come on a dry day and not notice it and once it was sold it wasn't her problem. It pissed me off. I can't stand people who try to screw people over like that. At least do quality work and have some goddamn pride.

I still want something else to drive. There is a RAV4 for sale that I keep eyeing. It's an older one. The interior is in excellent shape and it's a good size for me. I want a small SUV. But I don't want to pay for one. The price isn't bad, but I really don't want a car payment. My car has been paid off for 5 years and I am spoiled. I won't ever let that car go. They will have to pry my brains out of the glovebox and with a 1 star side crash test rating, they just might. :frown:

20. phatboy

phatboy New Member

That is wrong. I wont sell something if I dont have some confidence in it. I always let them know too. If there is something I know about. Like this Acura, it has a new fuel sending unit, but if it gets real low on gas it doesnt like to crank. I think the tank might be dented (the sending unit is on top of the tank) its like the pickup isnt low enough. If you just turn it on the fuel pump will pull it in, it just takes a second. I told him about the AC, I converted it and filled it once in the summer, if it isnt cold buy a 4.00 can of freon and shoot it up. It didnt leak all summer so I dont think it will, but I gave him the hose and all in case it does.

Im not a 'buyer beware' type of person. If I get a good deal though, I will make money.