so PS3 499....Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheGrimJesus, Jul 10, 2007.

1. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

The PS3 does play Blu-Ray dics........but does anyone care?

Has anyone tried the HD DVD for the 360? I like that it's optional but the damn movies are so expensive, I can't see going the expense. I think without a 1080 HD TV, it'd be wasted. I don't know if I'd see the difference on a 720. Am I wrong?

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Would that be a fruedian slip?

I dont know about the HD DVD on 360, but I did put a movie on a 2gb thumb drive and watched it on the XBOX. Actually pretty decent quality.

3. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Plus since you can download some pretty damn good movies on the service in HD what is the point of even getting a disk.

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Apparently, in the new "VHS vs. Beta" war, it's HD-DVD vs. BluRay. Technologically speaking, Blu-Ray wins out, but then again, so did Beta, and so did the Sega Master System when it came down to specs.

Apparently the highest resolution HD-DVD is capable of is 1080-i, vs. 1080-p for Blu-Ray. Now, Sony's got the upper-hand if they can sell enough PS3's to boost the market, but I think it's too early to tell right now.

5. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

Sony already sold blockbuster, who has killed 20% of there DVD stock for blu-ray, and vowed NOT to carry HDDVD

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Wow - I must've been really drunk the whole time I was replying to this thread... I only remember my first post.

I heard about that Blockbuster thing... Myself, I'm not a 'renter' - I think the last thing I rented was that Al Gore film from the $1 automated movie kiosk at the grocery store. Obviously, there are people out there that rent movies more than I do, and if anyone can enlighten me to the allure of 'netflix' - please let me know. Isn't the whole point to be able to go to the store, look at the titles, and see what you feel like watching at *that given moment?*

I just think it's still too early to start investing stock in either format.

7. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

as long a I have a high speed internet connection, I won't rent movies. I downloaded the DVD quality version of fantastic rise of the silver surfer, and Chaplin, last night, for free