So... my chick wants me to move to France with her...

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Lomotil, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

:!:

I thought it would just be a passing phase with her, but she's been going on about it for quite some time now. For some reason, she thinks it'd be fun and exciting...

I, being the realist, am of a different mind in this matter.

So, she's been brushing up on her French and teaching me the occasional phrase (too bad I can't use what I've learned in casual conversation with strangers).

She has no clue what she wants to do over there, how she will fund her trip and/or living expenses, if and where she would be able to work - basically, she's done no research on it - and she wants me to go with her.

So, anyone here ever lived in France...? I need some good ammo to talk her out of the whole thing.

2. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

I say go and help her pay for it. But then again, I've fucked over 100 people and cant think straight through the AIDS.
    PS: You will simply adore the French. They are so super cool at accomodating the Americans over there.

3. Dubya 2.0

Dubya 2.0 New Member

Do it Lomo, it's a fantastic place and your slap bang in the middle of EuroLand and you can travel extensively, even find out where your ancestors came from.

If you don't do it, it'll be one of the biggest 'what if's' you will carry for the rest of your life.

Now, if only I could meet an American girl...

4. Dubya 2.0

Dubya 2.0 New Member

How do you keep count? I tried and got to about..erm..whatever... :roll:

5. Deebo57

Deebo57 New Member

try it,if you see its not really gonna work out get the fuck out.

6. Schmed

Schmed New Member

Lomo, you would be a fool not to do it. Dubya's right on the money, hell even Deebo's right ont he money. Outside of AIDS it's better to regret...you get the point... satan satan satan satan......

7. rescue me     bettyx

rescue me bettyx New Member

Screw regret. Hell if you do go you'll get so damn screwed over. Don't be a pussy. Tell her the truth. Tell her she's a complete idiot for even dreaming this up.

I mean if this is what she wants then let her go and ruin everything she has..or what it sounds like, doesn't have. But if you wanna go, then by all means go ahead, but yeah be the realisitic here and just try your best to talk her out of it.

8. Checkmate

Checkmate New Member

Here's my 2 cents:

1) If you have a parent or grandparent born in any of the EU countries all you have to do is appply for an ancestry staus. In short you will be given limited citizenship of the country of your heritage, and a valid EU passport you can work and play anywhere within the EU countries in a scant few weeks.

2) South of france is nice, paris is an experience, seeing as the language will be a huge barrier try England, Scotland, Ireland as a home base, you can roll the dice on the easyjet map and go anywhere for pennies a pop.

3) Living in europe is definatley experience, and one that should not be missed, not sure where you live, but if your inundated with mexicans then you should have a working knowledge of spanish, Spain is a great place, nice weather, cheap to live.

4) France is a very welcoming place, just ask the germans!

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Have a safe trip!

Note: St.James Gate- Guiness Brewery - Dublin Ireland I think the choice is clear.

9. unlimited-time

unlimited-time Active Member

Here's a question, my grandfather was an American pilot in the WII, he got my grandmother up the duff then buggered off and left her.She being a Irish Catholic couldn't return to Irland with a baby so gave my father to a couple of friends of hers who adopted him.
    You think i could get a green card. ;)

10. Dubya 2.0

Dubya 2.0 New Member

The under-age poster (jail bait) wrote:

These 16 year olds know it all don't they nowadays!? :lol:

Shouldn't you be hanging around shopping centres robbing the Woolworths pick 'n' mix?

11. unlimited-time

I saw a 15 year old boy get hauled across Woolworths by two security guards, kicking and screaming "let me go" with mars bars flying from his pockets.
    He was there 2 minuted earlier with all his mates, givin it large.Nearly pissed myself laughing watching him cry like a little girl.

12. rescue me     bettyx

So I'm jail bait now?

Besides, no one said you had to take my advice. Just an opinion.

..just a question how old are most of you? Seems kinda creepy that you're all in your mid thirties and blogging on a forum? Not only that I'm shocked you all know what a forum is. My parents don't even know how to turn the computer on.

13. sickem

sickem New Member

In about half of all the states, yeah.
    What, do you think it was you and your pimply-faced 16-yr-old peers who invented this whole thing just last month?

Shit's been going on since before you first started smearing fingerpaints in kindergarten. Your ability to message on 3 different IM programs simultaneously doesn't make you Wired magazine's pin-up girl of the month.

And by the way - one blogs on a blog, not a forum.

Perhaps it's not too late for you to pray for transcendence over genetics.

14. unlimited-time

Shhh sickum don't burst her bubble, every teenager thinks if you're over 25 you're past it and that only their generation does anything that is interesting.
    God forbid she finds out her mum gives her dad oral sex. :shock:

15. Dubya 2.0

Dubya 2.0 New Member

And anal sex possibly.

Also there's a high probability her dad likes looking at 16 years old with a glint in his eye...

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn... didn't think there'd be this many people trying to talk me into it...

I just don't like the idea of putting my plans on hold over here because she wants to kill a couple years overseas. Not getting any younger, y'kno.

We talked about it last night over a few pitchers of margaritas - I'm not going to lie and say I remember every detail, but for the life of me I still couldn't get a concrete reason for her wanting to go. She said she wasn't planning on applying for citizenship, and apparently it's easier to get a green card there than over here. I used Checkmate's comment about the Germans - she gave me a dirty look... :D

I know she doesn't want to move there permanently, just for a while - and to me, I'm just thinking, what's the fucking point? Sure it might be fun, but you still have to come back and face the same mundane life/career/whatever you had planned over here - it'd be nothing more than an extended vacation, and I'd rather spend two years working on a career, acumulating equity, planning for an early retirement, etc.

Or maybe just spending two years sitting on the couch and getting stoned.

17. rescue me     bettyx

Holy Shit, my parents..have sex? Omfg, what a revelation.

..wow thanks for clueing me in. I didn't realized my parents still fool around. How the fuck did I get here again?

18. unlimited-time

Ooo the sarcasm of a teenager, nothing beats it.

19. Dr.Roboto

Dr.Roboto New Member

Oooo Texas

20. rescue me     bettyx

Eh, what can I say..?