Reverse Glow gauges?

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Anyone ever deal with that?

speedhut.com has some cool options and decent prices. I was also thinking about a bezel, carbon fiber to go with it.

I am thinking I should have someone install them for me. Would it be best to order and have it all installed at one of these aftermarket shops or try to do it yourself?

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Ive referred to these as white face guages. They are nice, and a lot less strain on the eyes at night. I think most manufacturere are moving towards these.

The pain with installing these, other than having to take your dash cluster out, is the little pins and all associated with the dials. I dont know if you have any local 'speed' shops, or shops where there are a lot of guys with the tuner cars (hondas mostly), but that is where Id take it.

Pontiac is pretty bad about those amber dash lights and they are wicked annoying. On several of my vehicles that didnt have the white face guages I have to turn down the interior lights because of the brightness

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

speedhut.com makes some really cool ones. You can customize them with free text and junk.

They make one with a black background with yellow numbers that glow yellow at night. I thought it would be pretty cool, but I may go cobalt blue because that's what my stereo glows and I want the crap to match.

They sell really cheap bezels too. If I do it, I'm paying someone to install it. They said it would be about 35-50 bucks to install and it would take about an hour.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Thats not bad at all.

Is this for the Aztec?

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

No. I don't drive the Aztek anymore. It's for my car that I have had for nine years. I was just trying to give her a little botox. Since the wreck, she's been looking better with her new front end and paintjob. I tinted the windows and I think I am going to smoke the tail lights. She deserves it. She's the best car I have ever had.

The Aztek is acting fucked up. The 'traction active' light kicks on for no reason and the ABS will kick on when you brake sometimes.

6. phatboy

phatboy New Member

What color is your car?

I have been looking at a couple of different tail light combinations for my acura. The euros and they have some 'halos' that I think would look pretty good.

I got my AC stuff today, so Im hoping I have time tomorrow to hook it up.

They have a kind of 134 now that is made to go into older r12 systems and 'condition' the old stuff to work with the new stuff. Weird, but who knows. I will find out tomorrow...

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Im thinking about painting the Acura silver, it's currently black if you'ns dont remember, with some real bad clear coat peel. Its hot as an SOB anyway, so I figure the silver will help it reflect a little heat. Im thinking about these taillights to replace the factory ones,

Ive replaced almost the entire enterior (seats and all) with a newer models, Ive tinted the windows (all but the back since the AC aint working, yet), put in a crappy little CD player.

I want to find the factory hatch cover (covers the cargo) and I need the drivers side door kick plate (the interior was this nappy brown that was faded pretty bad). It runs like a champ, especially with 200k plus on the odometer. So I might just keep it. Throw some 17s on it if they'll fit pimp it a little then sell it for 5k.... :)

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

My car is black and the smoked tail lights are cheaper than the euros. Those things are pretty pricey. And I think smoked lights would look better on a black car than the euros.

I got my windows tinted too and now I gotta peel their little "tag" thing off of my window? It seems like all of these aftermarket places around here like to logo the hell out of your car.

I'd have to see your car to give you an honest opinion on those lights, although they look pretty nice.

Where is the clearcoat peeling? Mine was peeling around the moonroof and on the deck lid. It cost about 300 to get it fixed.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I will post a pic of that turd-o-rama in the morning, I have some pics of it on my TB external drive at work, I thought I had loaded them into my album, but no dice.

When I 'vacated' HighSchool I tinted windows for a while. Enough to where I do all my own shit. A lot of companies here do that, usually they sneak it under the tint so you can just peel it off. We had people ask for our 'logo' which was funny because you seen that shit all over town.

The clearcoat is pretty much shot on all the flat (horizontal) surfaces.

Its currently black, but I am thinking of going with silver when I repaint it.

10. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Heres the integra at work.

Heres a little bit closer one of the taillights.

I think if I paint the car silver, and get the black trimmed euros it will look pretty good.

I need a muffler too, it's got one, but its just about rusted away....

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

They are nice looking cars. Reminds me of a Prelude in a way... which reminds me...

I decided that I am going to get an older Honda Prelude as a second vehicle. I think I would regret it less than a Camaro.

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

When you say 'older' are you referring to 92 and newer?

The only reason I ask is because the 2.0 motors in the 91 and older models were notorious for the crankshaft breaking.

I learned this little bit of knowledge when I purchased a 91 Red Si for 300.00 (not running)

It looked just like this one.

When I got it home I got it put back together (the head and all was off of it), got everything back right. When I cranked (crunk) it up it had a noticeable 'bump ti bump' as it ran. So I cut it off, jacked it all back up and dropped the bottom part of the motor I saw the crank split in two. Then I started checking on some forums about it and found out all kinds of neat stuff.

The 92 and newer have the H22 a very powerful and sought after 4 cyl in the 'tuner' world. It puts out mucho HP and has good mileage to boot. (plus it looks better). With proper maintenance (mainly just the timing belt and waterpump every 70k miles) these cars will last forever. If you are serious about getting a Honda let me know.

I am by no means an expert on them, but I can tell you which ones are worth the money and which ones can go to the trash... :)

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Cool. I forgot that you were the Honda guy! I looked at one today that was a 91, I think. It idled really high, almost at 3000 rpm and the check engine and battery light stayed on. I passed on that, but the interior was in excellent shape. I was really impressed with how clean it was. Too bad it ran like shit.

14. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Is there a listing in the phone book for meth labs now? :confused: ;)

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Speed is good..... whatevah
    If it was idling that high, and all the lights were on they are trying to scam someone.

It should idle around 1250 with the air running, around 750 if the ac is off.

The one I had was pretty clean, the motor was high (I usually just replace instead of rebuild) I was suprised when I tried the headlights and they popped up, the sunroof opened and closed and the windows went up and down with no problem. Usually on a Honda the window regulators go pretty quick (they use the old scissor type).