Rep. Quotes Jesus To Oppose Estate Tax

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aballister, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Aballister

Aballister New Member

Here we go again...
    Republicans want to abolish the estate tax. Even though they often claim to be the "financially responsible" party; this move will cost $250 billion in revenue.

The estate tax only affects 0.02% of americans. The government lets you pass on after your death up to $7 million before the tax takes effect.

Rep. Louie Gohmert is very upset about the tax. He said that he was personally affected by the tax since his wealthy great-aunt passed away. She owned a ranch and when she died the tax kicked in at a rate of 55%. Gohmert then went on to say that Jesus would have opposed such tax and it said so in the bible.

In my opinion Rep Louie Gohmert wants to cash in on his great-aunt's death and is upset to learn that he may not get as much as he had first anticipated.
    From memory I am pretty positive that there is no mention of estate tax in the bible. What's the quote again? Oh yeah, "It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for the rich to enter heaven."

It's a little offensive how he throws in a hasty "bible quote" to make his point. I'm pretty sure that Gohmert probably didn't read the bible as thoroughly as he would like us to believe.

I have a quote for him: "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain ". Lot's of people think that it refers to swearing; which it does to an extent. But it's also about using the name of the Lord in a false and pretentious manner. To make a political point because your aunt died and you want her money is a good example of such use.

Last I heard republicans wanted the commandments on display in Washington. Perhaps they oughta read them first.

Here is the video...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009