Registry problem - No CD/DVD support in XP

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lomotil, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Well, I guess I fucked up my MP3 jukebox the other night when I was drunk... I remember going through and deleting a bunch of shit that I thought I didn't need, and somehow the computer doesn't know how to recognize a CD or DVD drive.

The drive shows up in the device manager with the yellow exclamation mark, tried Windows update, updated to SP2, and can't find any drivers. Also tried hooking up an external USB DVD burner - again, the hardware manager acknowledges it, but can't find any drivers. Nothing shows up in 'My Computer' for either.

Any ideas?

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

goto the device manager and remove the secondary ide controller then the primary then you will notice the optical drive is gone also. Reboot it will do yhis twice and all should be fine

3. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

Install Windows XP over the top. Don't lose anything that way and it just replaces your old copy.

Reboot with the Windows XP disk and start setup normally, press F8 to agree to the shit, then it will say it found a copy or Windows. Press R now to repair it. It will delete a heap of files, then re-install a new copy of Windows, but leave all your other programs and settings intact.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

My fix will work in less than ten min. Pull the drivers reboot windows rediscovers and reboots twice again.

Also another tip instead of doing a "dirty" install simply run the system file checker if the problem is file corruption.

From the RUN dialog box type: sfc /scannow , windows will ask you for your xp cd to replace any corrupted system files.

5. TheGrimJesus

TheGrimJesus New Member

Just remove the drives, This will propt the plug & play install. Do the steps if it says can not find the drivers for the opti-drive or dvd drive. Get the window's xp CD and tell it to look there and you are done.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Turns out, I took it to a friend, he showed me the two registry files that were bad, deleted them, and restarted the computer - replaced the files automatically...

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all... :)

I'm probably going to try that 'repair XP' option on a different computer that's been acting funny lately. It'll be great if that works.