Last minute NFL trades

Discussion in 'Sports' started by MAJ Havoc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

The Miami Dolphins traded Jason Taylor to the Redskins for future draft picks. I guess Miami wants to rid itself of any decent players so they can get first pick in next year's draft, too. Why go 1-15 when you can have a perfect season? I think JT will complement the 'Skins already solid defense if Carlos Rogers can stay healthy.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Shockey leaves the defending Super Bowl Champions for a team that almost never makes the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?!?) My question is: "Will he still be a prima donna asshole in New Orleans?" Great players don't always help if they become a distraction (T.O. in Philly, Randy Moss in Minnesota).

With these trades being made for future draft picks, it's hard to say who wins here but the teams that divested themselves of Pro-Bowlers probably had got all they could from them. We'll see how they pan out in their new surroundings.

Oh, and there could be one more......unless it's a bridge too Favre.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think the Taylor trade was great for Washington. With Taylor and Zach Thomas gone who is going to step up in Miami? When I worked for NutraSweet I worked with Carlos Rogers dad, well he was an operator in the plant, funny, when Carlos got drafter he quit. I wonder why?

The shockey trade is useless. Sure the Aints need a decent TE, but he has spent more time in the trainers office than on the field. I would have drafted a TE and maybe traded for a mid-level one, before picking him up. Overpriced if you ask me.

3. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Shockey has some of the brash tenacious swagger not seen in the Big Easy since Kyle Turley was traded. Maybe a "bad-boy" image is what they wanted. Sean Payton has worked with him before so maybe he sees potential past his last few seasons.

4. Schmed

Schmed New Member

While I do not like T.O. and I'm not to fond of Moss (I'm a Wisconsin boy stuck in D.C....I refuse to comment on this whole Favre thing by the way, mostly because I'm torn right down the middle), I don't understand what you mean by T.O. not helping in Philly or Moss not helping in Minnesota. Philly made it to the Super Bowl because T.O. was on the team, and when is the last time Minnesota made it to the playoffs after Moss left the team???(the answer is not once if you were wondering) I agree that great players don't always help but those are two horrible examples. A better example might be the "Super team" the redskins put together 7-8 years ago, Bruce Smith, Deon Sanders etc etc.... too many cooks stiring the pot on that one.

5. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I meant when a great player with a poor attitude creates a dysfunctional environment that brings everyone else down. A cancerous egomaniac won't help the team dynamic. Philly got to the Superbowl with TO on IR for some of it. He's a great talent but disrupts team cohesion. McNabb and Culpepper could surely relate to the earfull that Shockey gave Eli Manning during his Giants tenure.

There is no "I" in teim (unless you spell it like that).

6. Schmed

Schmed New Member

I agree once again, but look at Mcnabb's stats the year TO played there is all I'm saying, if he wasn't there they would've never made it to the superbowl. Phillys problem has always been (in the Mcnabb era) not having a decent wide reciever, they havnt even had a good one more or less a great one (with the T.O exception). And Culpepper has proven time and time again he isnt much without Moss. Actaully Moss has really stepped up the last year and proven himself a decent team mate, lets see if he can make it another year doing the same. I don't find him have the knobjob that T.O. is though personally.

7. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

OK, but back to the original pondering: How will Shockey fit in New Orleans? Will he be a dick or a teammate?

8. Schmed

Schmed New Member

I think players like him learn to not be as big of a penis as they once were after being traded from their team. Shockey always played with a lot of heart, he just has nagging injury problems and he likes to call other head coaches faggots. I think he will be a good fit in New Orleans.