Just bought a Mazda

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Lomotil, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Finally! Pics! It took me until I blew up a friggin' wheel to post these:

The fleet:

The aftermath of testing the V-rated 'run-flat' tires on a 30mph curve at 80... Not to mention that this obvious error was my bad: did not foresee that lump in the road that ended up killing my wheel. Note that the tire is in better shape than the wheel itself. I'm fucking sold on Dunlops.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Holy crap, did you have any air in the tire? I guess those low profile tires really dont leave that much room between the wheel and the road.

e-bay has some pretty good prices on factory replacements, if thats what you want.

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I didn't have my flash camera when I went back to the scene of the crime, but it appears that I took that corner a little too tight. I retrieved four pieces of alloy wheel, and when I got back, only two of them were from mine - the other two didn't even match each other. Not to mention all the different pieces of steel wheels, ground effects, and plastic covers that littered the terrain. I'm not the only one to have lost a wheel there. Also, they had already fixed the spot where I hit. Go figure.

As near as I can tell, I recall going slightly off the edge of the road, and at one point, the pavement and the ground below it is about 6-8 inches below. I was riding on the ridge, probably halfway on the road, which must've put a terrible strain on the inside lip of the rim, then where they patched the road was right after that. I still drove 1/4 mile before stopping to change the flat - I wanted to be far enough away from the curve, you never know when some crazy bastard is going to scream through there 50 mph over the recommended speed... :rolleyes:

Ebay wheels are $150/ea, and sold as 'restored.' I just happened across a craigslist ad for 4 identical wheels listed as:

"I'm selling 4 Mazda rims 16" they are used and one is not in good conditions. This rims cost $75 each used and $200 each new, But I sell the 4 for $150.

Well, that's fine and dandy, I happen to have one that is, irrefutably, undeniably, and positively "not in good conditions," as well.

So, I bought four identical wheels, took my full-size spare tire and the tire that was on the wheel when it failed me, then spent a whole $13 on the South Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiideeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to get two tires mounted, one balanced, and in 5 minutes flat. Why the fuck not? I was in the neighborhood...

The tire in the picture is now seated on a new wheel, even with that gash, it's still holding PSI. Dunlop tires for me, from this day forth.

Tomorrow, well... fuck it, maybe I'll post it then... a bit tired now.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

A nice fleet of reliable non-uaw made cars. It's a wonder it did not roll on ya when you went over the edge.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

You forget whom was at the helm, I'm afraid. ;-)

V-rated tires, mind you. Rated stable up to 149mph, with the appropriate psi.

So confident in the tire that I will never purchase another brand: Dunlop

This tire survived the wheel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Dunlap or not I would not put that tire back on a wheel and trust that speed rating. I blew a rear tire at about 130 once. Well actually I blew a chunk of rubber off the tire stayed inflated. Scared the hell out of me though.

It likely has damage to the steel belt you cannot see and separation begins to take place. The tires I had were Coopers and I knew there was a bubble in the sidewall but I didn't give a damn.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You guys are crazy! I only drive the posted speed limit and keep my tires inflated to the proper PSI, to help in fuel economy, so sayeth the president.

:)

8. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

You deserve blown tires if you were going over 100 mph.

Are your dicks really so small that you have to have the 'need for speed' to feel manly?

I obey the speed limit so I don't spend the rest of my days in jail for vehicular homicide.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You look a little over dressed for that prison cell. Did you get sexed in?

10. Homewrecker

Homewrecker New Member

That's not me. That's my imagination of prison life... a crappy dress and ugly hair.

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

:biggrin: ...hence the "maybe tomorrow" ending to my post. Didn't want to jinx my luck. I never put that tire back on the car - instead, took it (on the new rim) with the original receipt, in a different vehicle, back up to the tire shop, and got me a brand new tire under warranty. ;)

Couldn't have swung that one with the tire on what was left of the old wheel. :biggrin:

I was just surprised that the tire seated itself properly on the new wheel without even making a single bubble when inflated and submerged.

You, sir, are a true patriot. Congratulations, and keep up the good work. Your strict observance of laws keeps the world free for us that don't fall so close to the median. ;)

I tell ya, Alice, ya just don't get it. Just don't fucking get it, woman.

If my dick were small, I'd buy a BIG fucking car and break the same goddamn traffic laws.

If you ever care to 'feel manly' yourself, then hop in the plastic Jeep and drag your injection-molded Taiwanese ass over here... I'll let ya feel "manly..." :rolleyes: