How do I quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Medical Advice' started by GAS, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

If smokers only knew how badly they stunk to other people...

2. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I tried to quit the habit by having something else in my hand. I tried carrot sticks.....they wouldn't stay lit.

3. chester grape

chester grape New Member

Just quit.

That done, every time you feel like a cigarette, take a couple of really slow, really deep breaths, and remind yourself how much healthier you are. The urge to light up can be very strong but it never lasts more than a minute at the most.

Slowly, over weeks, you'll notice that the time between urges is growing longer and longer, and the severity of the urges is getting weaker and weaker.

Eventually, they'll more or less disappear altogether.

The other thing is we smoke most often in response to stress. To minimise stress, start an exercise regimen. Half an hour a day is enough if you don't feel you can fit in any more. And when you consider you won't be standing outside in the heat/cold smoking for that amount of time every day any more, you can obviously afford the time!

Good luck.

4. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

So after the carrot sticks failed...was that when Mr Winkie started getting all the attention?

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

When you said you quit drinking, was that limited to the 5 day period, or did you quit that altogether?

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

:biggrin:

7. big10donjuan

big10donjuan New Member

just hang out with someone who has smoked for 20+ years....... I quit the day I started a job working with a 30 year smoker

8. bluedevil76

bluedevil76 New Member

Start using smokeless tobacco. It stains your teeth but it gives you a better buzz!

9. sammysack

sammysack New Member

Chantix worked for me. Smoked for 12 years. Haven't had a puff in 80 days.

10. bulldog822001

bulldog822001 New Member

STOP BUYING THEM>

11. TheStreak

TheStreak New Member

Stop being such a wanker, that would prob help you quit smokeing.

12. davebetty

davebetty New Member

Hey mates perhaps there are no things left to be tried for me and I cant quit. I am always searching for definitive answers thinking if it might help. Maybe the years I was devoted to this habit is taking its toll on me. Even if I make my mind to quit I have no control over other people who smoke and the smell of a cigarette makes me compelled to light one and my resolution does not even last half a day. If I were to write about the measures I have tried from those chewing gums to herbs the list would get endless but nothing has helped me. Maybe some inspirational stories and words of wisdom help me somewhat. Am being optimistic till now but do not know how long I can be alike.

13. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

I went to a smoking cessation class and by the jesus it worked for 8 months 'til my wife got on my nerves real bad. First thing was to pick a date (assuming you really want to quit). I found that once I made the commitment to quit in front of others, I couldn't not quit. I wasn't going to look like a weak douche bag. I found that having cinnamon sticks as a replacement for the cigarette in my hand worked great, the stick would last all day. When I finally quit for good I was smoking 3.5 packs a day. Open heart surgery absolutely will take away the desire to smoke forever. I have a radial scar on my left forearm where they "harvested" an artery to look at anytime during the first few months after sugery when I wanted a smoke. It's been eight years since surgery, I highly recommend it to help you quit smoking. nah, quit now before it goes that far. good luck

14. moremetal4mepls

moremetal4mepls New Member

I'am starting to read a book called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr, I have heard of many people that have stopped, might be worth checking out man. Book only costs $14.00, hell I spend that much in cigarettes in 2 days, so I figured what do I have to loose....

15. big10donjuan

big10donjuan New Member

fuck it.... smoke all you want.... just don't go crying to everyone else when you get some goofy ass disease from smoking

16. needalaff

needalaff New Member

GOOD LUCK!!

I have tried to quit for years now after my father passed away of lung cancer.
    Some things to try are 1) remove all items from sight that can be or are directly associated with your smoking 2) if you smoke? wash your hands immediately afterwards to remove the odor from your hands (for some odd reason this helps with increasing the time between the urges) 3) think of an alternative activity to try/do when the urge arises to get your mind focused elsewhere. 4) If you live alone DO NOT allow family and freinds to smoke in your crib.
    Wish i had more information for ya. But, if someone can not quit cold turkey after watching their father suffer with smoking related cancer. Guess this just shows the power of nicotine. MAKING IT ILLEGAL to have Nicotine in tobacco is the OBVIOUS solution to me!

17. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Man, that sucks. I'm really sorry about your Dad. I know it's the typical thing to say but I mean it. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.