Hop head - and proud of it.

Discussion in 'Drinking' started by Fugly, May 30, 2008.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Have you ever tried the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout? I'm curious as to how you would rank it against these two.

2. Robman97

Robman97 Member

Right now, my three favorites are Sam Adam's Boston Lager and Sam Adam's Hefeweizen, and A really good stout, Left Hand Milk Stout. Milk Stout has a great flavor with a hint of coffee and cream, good stuff.

3. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I've seen it in the store but never tried it.

Have you tried Stone's Russian Imperial Stout. I'd put Ten Fiddy above that one.

4. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I am currently restricted by my Doctor to one beer a day max.

Ok, so in Alabama the legal maximum alcohol content for beer if 6%, and the largest legal container size is 16 OZ.

I hear you guys talking about 11% brew in 40 oz bottles. How do I get a sample of that? I figure that one beer = one beer, so the Doc and wife can't complain.

Send me a PM with an address or a paypal account, and I will send some cash for someone to ship me a sample or two.

5. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I'm trying this tonight, on your recommendation. It reminds me a lot of Samuel Smith's taddy porter. Not so much an Imperial Stout. Tons and tons of carmelized malt and lots of sweet sweet flavor but all in all, not a true Imperial Stout. Giant bubbles and you can almost see the sugar crystals.

Try that Oskar Blues or the Stone and compare. I think this is a great beer but I honestly prefer the other two over it.

And take notice of this too, whenever I drink just one of the Oskar Blues or the Stone RIS I am literally knocked out. Either one of those puts me right to sleep for some reason and I neve knew what hit me until the next morning.

It's not the alcohol content but something else I can't explain. Tell me if you get that too.

6. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Oh, the wonders I can show you. Barry, I will put together a case (or less if you choose) of some of the best beers I have ever tried, if you're up to it. You have my number. Catch me on a good month and I'll pay for it myself too. I just want to share the joy. (side note: this month is not a good one but, if you're willing to foot the bill, I'll totally assemble one for you.)

"Beer is God's way of telling us that He loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

7. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I've never tried a milk stout. What is that exactly?

Lancaster Brewing company is near here and I tried their Hop Hog IPA and I hated it, unfortunately. Ever since then I've had an aversion to anything they make but they're the only ones I see here who make a milk stout.

8. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Again, just to confirm it, that Rasputant Stout put me to sleep after just two of them.

I don't know what it is about Stouts but they totally kick my ass.

9. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'm not familiar with "Stone's" (if you'd substituted a "d" in place of the apostrophe, I might have some input,) but as far as brews go, I'm 'uneducated.'

I never felt that 'taddy porter' comparison, honestly... In fact, the one time I tried that, I scoffed.

Maybe I just happened upon a bad batch (or vice-versa.)

Then again, I've never been all too impressed with any Samuel Adams beer. To me, it always seems like 'Yankee Piss.'

Not that I've ever drank Yankee Piss from the spout, or even from a glass, for that matter, but from what I've tried, my palette always left me with a lasting impression of beer I playfully refer to as piss. At least, the ones I've tasted.

I'm going to review this thread, possibly tomorrow, after the hangover I'm so desperately working towards ensuring subdues, and hopefully I'll have a better quality beer selection to choose from when I reply.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

What can I say? It's like a meal in a bottle.

11. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

call me today, Ill ship you a case of 211 in effect!!! First time i ever drank a forty and went "gawddam!!! Im fucked up like a football bat!!!"

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I havent heard that in a long time.

I usually say, "like a soup sandwich"

I might enjoy some hops this evening.......its been about a week..... :)

13. JEFE

JEFE New Member

14. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I sent you my address by PM. Give me a paypal account or address and I'll send you the money.

15. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I hope you intend to share.

16. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I went to the local 7-11 Saturday night, and bought a mixed 6 pack of there "specialty" beers. I didn't get the names of all of them, but I do remember Becks, 2 Italian beers, Rolling Rock, Rocking Rock pale, and one other wheat brew. I got a Sam Adams Dark to go, to make it an even 7.

The Sam Adams was horrible. It was absolutely horrible. It was well within date, but was Skunky as a real Skunk. I poured it out and threw the empty bottle at a "Obama for President" sign.

Both of the Italian beers were horrible. Stenchingly horrible.

The Rolling Rock was drinkable, but not really good.

The Becks was OK, but not good either.

The wheat brew was disgusting. I mean really disgusting.

I bought 7 beers and drank a total of 20 oz maybe.

I guess I'll stick with KeyStone High Gravity. At least if I got to drink nasty beer it will be cheap and potent.

17. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You need to listen to the 'pros' bitch.

1st, find a good location that has a plethora of draft beer options, there has to be an irish type pub there somewhere. I ask for a beer you have to chew. then work your way back.

Can beer is nasty, and if its not draft it is usually a little weeker.

The dark beers are pretty tasty, fresh, and you may need to sample a few before you get greedy, and the hangover is a little different, more of an odd feeling instead of the headache and tiredness.

18. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

I think in AL, there is a alcohol limit on the brewing process (did you say 5%?) so he wont get full bodied lagers, or stouts (except for guiness, as it isnt a high sugar alcohol content) But if bazza called me, I was going to send him a care package. everything from steel reserve, magic hat, Greenshields, Carolina lionshead, and a Stella or two. get him a pleathoera. Only good canned beers are Guinness, or anything with a Nitrogen popper in it.

I am close to the Carolina Ale house (home of carolina Lionshead brewery, and greenshields) I will go get a few cases and send some samples out. Oh Griendshields makes a rootbeer that is AMAZING

19. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Check your PM's

20. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Dwaine, I'll swap you a set of gold filled human teeth for a sampler of brews.

I will even share with the Major.I saw him last week, and he looked sad. His wife had his credit cards and was busy at the mall, while he was hauling in new appliances all alone. I thought he might need some cheer.