HELP a tard buy a new puter

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Icenhour, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

Ok so I know nothing about computers... I know how to plug it up, turn it on, and get online and use programs. My X husband was the computer nerd and I have not done any cleaning or upkeep on this thing in 2 years. Well I thought my ceiling fan was making a noise (woom woom woom )... but no it is my computer. It has been slow as hell , and sometimes I get a window that says "memory low" and it quits.... so I walk away and let it rest, and come back later

So tomorrow I am buying a new computer... My question is, how do I get all my pics, documents, and crap off this one and ad it to my new one? Can I haul it into the store and make them do it? Im scared I am going to loose crap. Oh and do I need to buy programs again? Like Photoshop and Word. I dont have any of the CD things anymore. I feel like such a tard for not knowing any of this... and I know some pimple face teen is going to make feel even more stupid tomorrow. I dont know anything!!! I dont know what all the numbers mean on the stickers... you know RAM, GHZ, GB, I dont even know what a fucking hard drive does !. I dont even know the numbers this computer has. Could some one tell me what numbers to get? No one knows crap about computers near me... My sister bought one a few months back because it was pretty.... so as you can see, we are all retarded when it come to computers

so any advice is greatly appreciated - and yes I know I am computer stupid... no need to point it out

2. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

coupla co. make a cable to transfer setting and stuff from xp to vista, simple and works great, just used one on my wife's new machine.

dual core processor 2.0 or better, 3gig of ram, 250 to 500 gig hard drive.

you might need to buy programs again but wait until you see what the transfer cable bring over. good luck

3. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

Thanks bullgod..I have to wait to shop for a new puter... I fucked my back up last night. So I will shop probably Monday.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Click Start - then - Run - type: migwiz into the run dialog box and hit enter.

This will launch the File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Before you run it remember it copies the files stored under a profile. So place all the studd you want transferred into the "MyDocuments" folder under your profile.

Copy everything over to a folder and get that on cd, dvd, or an external drive of some sort.

Vista will put it in your new profile. Check the file count and see if anything is missing. Some file extensions that windows may not be aware of could have a problem.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Vista will be replaced by the end of 09.

Not sure if you want to wait or not.

XP will continue to be supported till I think end of 2017.

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Thanks for the tip.

I'll definently wait it out.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Not sure what the 'new' OS will be, but hey all I want is a PC that runs my stuff and doesnt crap out all the time.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Burn all of the stuff to DVD. That's what I did with my laptop when it got infected with a virus and had to be wiped out.

You are going to be effed w/o the disks to the programs and the product keys.

9. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't know shit about computers either. I figure the more you spend, the nicer it's going to be. I need to buy a new laptop soon because mine is a few years old and I want to buy the Sims 3 when it comes out (I am a total dork, I know) and I am afraid I won't meet the system requirements. They haven't released those yet. Pretty bad that I will go out and buy a new computer just to play a stupid game.

10. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

I am buying one tomorrow...was going to today- but school is out, and my kid is annoying in stores. - I am pissed about having to buy new photoshop....isnt it expensive? I think my X husband DL it from limewire and gave me a copy... I guess I could figure out how to that.

hell I dont even know how to burn shit to DVD... I had to have my X help me last time- 3 years ago... I designed in photoshop the pictures on our mobile clinic. Had to buy rights to all the high res pictures of cats & dogs ... then photoshop them to be all be sitting together... he burned it to dvd for me to take to auto wrap place.

I am such a retard. I guess I will find some kid to come over and do it for me.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I can't remember for sure because my husband actually did it but I think you put the DVD in, go find the documents that you want to save and send them to the DVD drive. Or copy and paste them in by opening the drive through My Computer.

http://www.freearticles.com/article/How-To-Save-Documents-In-CD-Form/2895

PM Dwaine. He could probably help you with Photoshop.

I actually like Photoshop Elements better. I had both and when I wiped out my computer, I just put Elements on. It lacks all of the bells and whistles, but I like it. It's also way cheaper to buy.

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I got a copy of 6 floating around somewhere.

Depending on your setup, you can open 'Roxio' or 'Nero' select 'DVD' and then select "Data DVD". When the window opens to 'add files' just select the ones you want to burn and click 'Burn'.

It prefer it to the XP 'copy paste' method (I have gotten better results).

But it is all possible.

13. Icenhour

Icenhour New Member

I'm tarded... can you get it- all that read like Chinese to me.

I went to BestBuy today, got someone that was slightly less tarded then me, and could not tell me shit. She kept showing monitors- I have a one year old big ol flat screen already ... I need a computer- I got pissy and left. . I am going to try Micro Center tomorrow...

14. Cheezedawg

Cheezedawg New Member

Go on Ebay and get a Commodore 64. Those things are the shit!

15. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

I drove all the way out to MIrco Center (about 35-40 min away) and forgot why I drove out there (Damn ADD)
    I am scared this computer is going to "fry" or burn out or whatever people's computers do when they go bad. It keeps making crunchy noises. I dont know why I keep putting it off... I think because I dont want to untangle this mess off wires and shit. I never follow through ... hell today I have to take my car (YES The Element- I have yet to trade) to the shop... it is making a noise when backing up. I cant seem to find a car I like as much as mine Except the FJ ... and it has the same doors....and that is the only thing I hat about my current car.

aggg

16. phatboy

phatboy New Member

okay, go here,

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfo

Pick out a PC and get it over with. If you dont want to buy new, at least get a dell that they will support for 3 years (at your house too) for a little extra. There are some pretty inexpensive ones on the outlet site.

Or just send me your credit card info and address and I will order it for you.