HD cable/etc.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lomotil, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Fuck. Why didn't anyone tell me this shit looked so fucking good?

As some of y'all may know, I haven't had cable in probably 14 years, but I scored a little 15" Magnavox LCD HDTV, 1080i tops, (can double as a third PC monitor, max 1024x768), and wall mount, so I stuck it to the wall opposite my second screen on the main PC. I'm watching SNL right now (Christopher Walken, had to...) - and the picture is just so fucking clear...

Shit, I'm liable to pipe this line into the living room now.

I've long said that the moment I get cable, I would get even less done than I do currently, but damn...

I may never leave the house.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Is there something (or someone) that's switching the u's and c's, or was I that fucked up? :confused:

Probably the latter.

3. havegunwilltravel

havegunwilltravel New Member

I don't even have cable, just set-top rabbit ears and I pull in 10 HD channels. This summer I plan on getting an outdoor antenna and doubling that. The picture quality still makes me smile.

4. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I live with like 4 other roomates (including my girlfriend) and I just bought a 42'' plasma. Unfortunately, until I live on my own I probably won't be able to get HD channels, since the roomates all have regular TV's and they wouldn't want to pay extra for something they don't need. Still, SD channels look great on it, and I have a PS3, so at least I can reap some of the benefits.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I got the 42" Vizio with the HD Cable receiver and all. Go with the HDMI cable.

I watch just about everything in HD. Its not really that much more here.

The picture is well worth it.

6. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

When you live with 3 other cheap-asses who dont want to deal with setup and installation fees, it ends up being more trouble than its worth. Plus, we have Comcast, right here its such a ripoff to go HD. We would have to get like Dish or DirectTV.
    In case anyone's looking, I just bought the same TV(42'' Panasonic plasma) I have for my brother for only $760(before taxes) @ Circuit City. You have to buy the TV and a theater system for a total of like $1099, but you just return the theater system and you still get the discount on the TV. AT least thats what I did.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=205247

To see the details, just click on the "save $300" offer in the bottom.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I have to admit I favor the image on the LCD over the plasma.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I shut off my cable but kept my internet. By doing so, I still get about 10 channels, some in HD because they went digital and I have two digital tvs. The major networks like NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX are in HD. Their filter is junk. I'll get the cable back someday. I just don't miss it enough yet and I am saving almost 100 bucks a month. That's almost the cost of my stomach meds a month (with insurance).

9. Reizvolles

Reizvolles Active Member

I have a little 17" Widescreen LCD TV in my bedroom and a 35" Widescreen LCD TV in the living room. Foxtel in Australia are only just coming out with HD cable now, but I am ready for it.

10. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I may try to just buy an antenna to see what the regular channels look like, I doubt they will look good though since I live a bit far from the local stations.

11. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

You won't be able to do that for long.

I'd do cable over a dish anyday.

12. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

LCD is superior to Plasma any day. The only reason we ever had Plasma screens in the first place was because they were cheaper to produce for large screens (initially) than the LCD technology. A few years back, LCD caught up with, and even overtook, Plasma in both price and quality. I'm surprised they still sell Plasma TVs, honestly.

The main reason I haven't bought an LCD big-screen is because the most common failure on them is the power supply going out, usually 3+ years into their lives (same with Plasma.)

Right now, I think the all-around best choice is a DLP projection TV. Possibly 3x the depth of a comparable Plasma or LCD, the same picture quality (usually,) much cheaper, and the most likely first repair you'll have to make is switching out a single bulb - which isn't cheap, but cheaper than paying someone to swap out your burned out power supply.

14. nolo451

nolo451 New Member

I dont know, I bought two LCD's (Samsung and Sony) and really didnt like the blacks that it displayed, I really like my plasma better.

15. phatboy

phatboy New Member

My vizio was 1300 new, about 3 months later they were down to 1099, now they are around 799.

Swapping the ps out on one of these is a piece of cake. When I was younger I worked as a 'on call' tech for a warranty company, I had to go to Sams and swap out boards on 5 plasmas. It wasnt bad, a lot of screws, but other than that it was just clip clip.

I gave my samsung HD to my mother-in-law. It sucked.

Ive had the vizio for almost 2 years now I havent had any drop in quality. I think there was something like 20,000 hours warranty on it, or something like that. Or that the screen would last 20,000 hours, I cant remember.

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'm no stranger to doing shit myself - hell, I even taught a course in 'tight' at the temple... But the average consumer is going to gaze upon a screwdriver with a quizzical stare, thinking, "what does this do?"

17. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Exactly.

Though I havent seen many bad LCDs or Plasmas in the local penny saver. But Im thinking if they start dropping out I will pick them up and see about F'ing them up. Instead of having a flat screen on the wall why not put it in the wall? Put like picture molding around it, you can put the IR port just about anywhere.