GPS thingies

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BIGMAMA, Dec 15, 2008.

1. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

OK so from the Thanksgiving trip... being lost and adding hours and hours to the ride home... I vowed and swore to god while crying like a baby lost in the mountains... that I would not do another road trip unless I had one of those GPS direction things.

Do you have to pay a monthly fee for them to work?
    Are they easy to use...they look complicated to me.
    Do the cheap ones work well, anyone have any suggestions?

I do not want to spend top dollar on something I barley use, and will probably break.... or "LOOSE" (that was for you phatboy) knowing me, I will LOSE it.

I am always behind on technology, I still do not understand MPG players or Ipods.

Anyone own a cheap GPS, and happy with it? Someone said you get different voices like Mr.T... saying "Turn Left Suckah"

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Look at the Tom Tom. Its pretty good I heard, not sure about monthly fees, I have the factory GPS in my car, but it just uses the map on DVD (in the trunk). We dont pay a fee to use it.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think you can get them w/o a subscription. I know my ex boyfriend had one years ago and he didn't subscribe to anything. It wasn't one that said, "Left turn 500 feet." It was just like a complicated map to me. I am decent at reading a map. I can't find my way out of a parking garage, but I can get myself where I need to go using only latitude and longitude coordinates and mapblast. I found an old rural cemetery last year that way and didn't get lost. I was very proud of myself. Although I did almost have a head-on collision. The two lane road I took was being worked on and there was a stop light at the start of it. I was sitting there for a really long time and I didn't see one car. I'm starting to overthink it and I convince myself that it must only apply to people Mon-Fri, so I go through the light and into the other lane. I'm half way through and I see all of these cars coming at me and luckily, I was able to get over. I felt like a total asshole. I had to sit there and when I got over, the car that was behind me at the light was behind me again. They quit tailgating me though. They had tailgated me for a while and I think they were part of the reason I overthought the light.

4. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200. $100-$150 depending on the sales.

No subscription needed, easy to use, talks to you (just doesn't say street names on this version.) I set mine to an English female voice. I call her Angelina, my GPSy Rose.

The road is lonely.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I've got a few of 'em... None of them require a subscription, unless you want to update the maps on the unit a few years down the road, then you would most likely have to pay for an upgrade DVD or download.

Models:

Garmin "tracker?" - I dunno, some cheapo black-and-white lanyard device I only use when I'm out hiking in uncharted boonies. All it really serves to do is record a topographical trail of where I've been in the unlikely event I lose track of my surroundings, and give me coordinates/etc (should I want to revisit a spot later.)

Magellan SportTrac Color - A few years old, has maps & many other features, used it a few years ago when I went on a road trip to the Keys (and took a boat offshore to fish.) Nice for the time, but dated now.

Garmin Windows PDA + GPS unit - Nice all-in-one device, minus being a telephone or a camera. Probably used this one the most out of any of 'em.

Magellan Maestro 3100 - New, Unopened, and soon to be placed on ebay. I think this one will yak at you and tell you where to go, probably even play mp3's, and if you piss it off by cheating on it with a rival brand, it'll steer you directly off a cliff. But I'll start the bidding low, and with NO RESERVE! ;)