Goat Cheese

Discussion in 'Fizood' started by Nauseous, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Is it gross? I'm going on a acid reflux friendly diet and it's one of the few cheeses you can eat. I have never had it. I've had feta and it was semi gross. Just curious about straight up goat cheese. Can you slice it? Can you make grilled cheese with it?

2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

When I was over seas I ate some sort of goat cheese that came in a tin can and was semi liquid. I thought it was great but then again I was very happy to have something other then MREs Had it with pita bread and some sort of sheep stew.

I wonder if I would like it as much now.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

In those tin cans, probably the same. :)

I'm trying to get rid of this reflux crap w/o drugs so I am going to go on a reflux diet and take supplements. I'm a little excited to see if it works.

I am really against antacids. I think they make the problem worse. I feel that they (antacids, H2 antagonists, PPIs) delay gastric emptying and interfere with digestion, therefore, they do not allow your small intestine to do it's job or your pancreas to do it's job and you're just in a helluva mess.

Too much acid is not the problem in the vast majority of cases and unless you have had your stomach acid level checked, you should never be given antacids. Hell, a lot of people should be taking HCL supplements because they have low stomach acid. The problem is the location of the acid, not the quantity. The lower esophageal sphincter is the real issue.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Pukey you seem to have such a curiosity for things health wise. Why not go to nursing school? I think you would both enjoy it and excel.

I understand that the body regulates its acid level really well and just a few points off in either direction can be devastating to your health and cause things like kidney failure. The thing is if you are too acid for example then is your body using Calcium, Phosphorous or others to offset this in your stomach when they could have been used for stronger bones and teeth?

Either way throwing it all out of whack by taking antacids or acid blockers does not seem to smart. I'm trying to eat more veggies that are fresh and doing more steaming. My problem is I like to eat a lot of meat and other high protein foods that are acid forming.

The last couple of shopping trips I simply take the low acid food list with me to the grocery store and try to buy a few things on the list to offset or accent my typical regular diet. Been eating a lot of figs, dates when I get a sweet tooth and broccoli, celery, cabbage...

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/acid_alkaline_foods_list.html

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

See, I have limitation to food with the fact that I don't eat meat and have Crohn's. Cabbage, broccoli, onions... off limits. Only green stuff I eat are peas and green beans. I'm going to try to eat spinach, but it looks really gross. I eat the shit out of carrots. I can eat them all day.

So far I am eating, apples, bananas, blueberries, tart cherries, carrots, baked potato, farmer's hardboiled eggs, bread and butter, coconuts and walnuts.

I didn't have reflux yesterday. I started taking DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice). Whoa... that is nasty stuff... tastes like sawdust, dirt, asprin and anise.... looks like dog's heartworm medicine... anyway, I stuck to my diet. I consumed about 1400 calories, considering that I need about 1500-1700 to maintain my weight, I don't think it'll make me lose weight. If it does, I'll eat more coconut and walnuts. Walnuts are hands down the #1 healthiest nut.

DGL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deglycyrrhizinated_licorice

I like medicine. I just don't like sick people. I was thinking about getting some books and taking the pharmacy tech test. It's not a good paying job but it's something and considering that I will probably be unemployed in the next year, I gotta do something. This way, I can get it done while I still have a job and submit my resumes while still working and maybe the timing will work out and I can transition.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

That would be perfect cause you are curious about medications. Curiosity is what makes the human species so much smarter I think. You learn easily what you are curious about.

I wonder if DGL and cimetidine are basically the same chemical structure just that one is natural.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I had a dream about goat cheese. There were a bunch of cheeses on a table and I was trying to try the goat, but someone already ate it.