Fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Would a problem with a fuel pump cause a car to crank and not start? It's like it's not getting the fuel it needs to start. I pushed the gas to the floor and tried and it and it didn't start and pushed the gas to the floor and cranked it again and it started. It only does it when the car is warm, never when it's cold. So it's times when you run into a store for a few minutes, come back and then it has to act like a dick. It doesn't always do it. I wonder what would cause it to be so sporadic? It had two episodes yesterday and other days it's just fine. :confused:

Let me clarify about the gas pedal. I push it to the floor, release and then crank. I don't hold the pedal down while cranking and I just tried it for the first time yesterday.

Could it be the filter? Or something w/the ignition?

I found a TSB on it. Just says:

Failing Component:

Engine And Engine Cooling Engine

Summary:
    Intermittent no crank, no start condition. To include 2002 - 2006 saturn vehicles.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Your car uses a closed loop fuel injection system. The fuel rail has to be at some threshold pressure to perform properly with the fuel injectors. Like 45 pounds or so this you will have to look up.

A dirty fuel filter can cause problems though it is unlikely under say 100k miles. Do you buy crappy gas and run on empty a lot?

If it only happens warm I would more likely suspect vapor-lock. Though this was a phenom seen commonly in the 80s and cars are usually engineered better routing the fuel lines away from heat sources such as the exhaust which caused the problem.

In other words I don't know but if it were my car I'd check the fuel rail pressure and have the diagnostic codes on the computer read.

Also consider other possibilities. Cars need : Gas , Oxygen, and Spark. With the computerized system some sensor reading can throw the closed loop system out of wack and cause a lack of one or more of those things. Its like a big algebraic equation. At 40 pounds of pressure and a timed fuel injector pulse of "X" seconds and a throttle position of "Y" percent. with a spark advance of "Z" degrees (adv. retard) then combustion at "Q" engine temperature should produce an oxygen to fuel ratio of "N" at the front oxygen sensor. .....blah blah add about 15 other sensor readings into the calculation such as barometric pressure and mass air flow volumes. And the computer constantly modifies the variables to keep performance at a specific level and emissions also. The beauty of all of this is when a variable is out of range it throws a code in the computer that can be read to discern what specifically happened.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I use Chevron gas only Chevron and always pump 8. :redface:

I wish I could understand the rest of what you said.

4. Big_unsexy

Big_unsexy New Member

i hate my VW its small black something is wrong with the engine...ugh

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You're so funny.

Take the car to AutoZone or Advanced Auto, O'Reiles whatever you have locally and ask if they can read your cars diagnostic codes.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn, Joe... You're on top of this shit.

I would've told her to drive on down here and let me hook up my ODB-II module to her interface orifice while letting her engine rev a while. Only then could I feel out the problem and offer a solution.

:biggrin:

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Sometimes you have to probe around till you get the desired result.:)

8. Russian Derrick

Russian Derrick New Member

Sounds like there something in your caribrreta
    , have you tried kicking the wheel and geting four man to push it down a hill ? That's I start cars , fuck em into action .