Factory to aftermarket

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, May 20, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

How hard is that to do yourself? I've done aftermarket to aftermarket... easy. But Factory to aftermarket with Onstar and steering audio controls? Is that something you want to take in somewhere? I'm not afraid to try it.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I would be a little leary, if you dont mind the steering wheel controls working or not it wouldnt be a big deal. Stop by a shop and ask them if they can do it. All that stuff is wired in with the cruise control and stuff so it might not be worth the headache.

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Google the vehicle's wiring harness diagram and make sure you have the same lines coming out of the back of your new unit. Only 'lack of functionality' I've had with any system is losing dimmer control on the head unit - it won't dim incrementally with your dashboard lights.

Never fucked with OnStar, and if I had a vehicle with it, I think I'd yank the fuse on day one. I cock my eyebrow at OnStar just like those fucking cameras at the intersections. They're just now telling us that border towns have OCR capabilities on those cameras and computers dedicated to recording license plates and driving trends (disguised as an attempt to curb the flow of guns south of the border.) Riiiiiiight.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

They want to know where you are, where you been, and who you was with.

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I don't want to use Onstar, but there is a recorder thingy that I do want to use and it's probably on the same module. You can record little messages and I think it would be fun to play with. I don't even have the car yet. Just planning for when I get it. But since my financial situation just changed, I may just have to listen to CDs in it for a while. Good thing I found all of mine.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

On Crutchfield, what is modified fit vs fits? Wouldn't it just be better to find one that fit? I know you're still gonna have that black kit thing with it regardless. I thought that they would all be considered modified.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I wonder if that means you have to modify something on your end for it to fit. That would suck.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CX609-2-DIN-Receiver-Port/dp/B001OQ8KB0

And Crutchfield said it fits (going in a Trailblazer) but you have do get some adapter thing installed or it will cause serious injury or death. I don't know. It has something to do with the chimes and onstar. Maybe because it's warning chimes or something and if you don't have them something bad could happen. I was picturing being electrocuted or something.