Ever mess with your dash?

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I want to add a bezel. I found a carbon fiber looking one that I think looks nice and I was wondering how scary or dangerous it is to mess with the needles. Do you even have to pop off the needles? It just overlays with 3M tape.

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

At first I was like WTF?

I see the odometer trip reset button may need to be removed. Never done it myself. If that supplier is worth dealing with seems they could provide advice for your make and model of car. Why not ask them?

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Well, the place I got my windows tinted from (and I didn't like their work) was gonna charge me 60 bucks to install it and they were familiar with speedhut. The bezel is like 13 bucks. Seems silly.

Their site says :3M automotive double sided tape and generic instructions are included.

*Professional installation is recommended.

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I'd buy is and see if you felt comfortable with the "generic instructions" and if not sell it for a dollar less on CraigsList.

See where the annoying part for me comes in is interior work like that needs to generally be done with the right tools and knowing how it snaps together all the little nuiances specific to that model is what is needed to do it right. How many times have you got in someone's car and they had all this extra stuff and it squeeked and rattled down thre road because they did not get the tabs on the door panels correctly put in place when they worked on the speakers.

or

the plastic bezel covering the speedometer rattles and vibrates to loud music or if the windows are down. And you notice its noticeable loose on one corner where a plastic tab broke off when he pried it loose with a screw driver.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah. I have taken good care of my car over the years and it is in excellent condition for it's age. I really don't want to mess anything up. I guess I got all cocky because I installed that stereo and think that I can do anything now. :redface:

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

At least your not afraid to do something like a radio install now that's pretty cool. I need to pull the Camaro into the garage and wax it it before the rain storms start. That way its easier to maintain the mud drips off with the water.

Out here right now the live oak, red, pin oak trees and Pistachio trees are putting down a blanket of pollen all over everything.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I have a maple spitting down little nuggets of stuff all over the place. I don't know what it is, but there are millions of this redish looking things all over the place.

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Its amazing how much pollen a live oak puts out. Maybe I'll get a picture of it my drive way will have like an inch thick layer of the tiny little flower pods. And the outside patio furniture has to be dusted before you sit down in them.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Pamela Anderson messed with her dash a few times.

She went for the added safety feature of dual airbags.

11. phatboy

phatboy New Member

See if you can locate a pdf of the factory service manual for your car. The needles are a PITA, but then again, I have gorilla hands.

12. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I was thinking about getting a Haines book. You think that would work?

My hands are small enough but they are not steady when I have to do things requiring fine motor skills.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Haynes, sorry.

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Look in the reflection on the windshield that is the Live Oak above my car and it has no leaves right now that's just pollen sacks. Right now it just rains pollen dust and sticky sap. In a few weeks it will drop all the pollen clusters there will be a carpet of that shit.

That is why I wax it now so it quickly sprays clean till its all over.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

16. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I love the addition of Nitric Acid to the license plate - this should really throw a wrench into facilitating any sort of association between car and driver.

Well played, mi amigo... Well played... ;)

17. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Im not a big fan of the Haynes manuals. The Chiltons are better. I have had good luck finding the factory service manuals online, or if you want hit the dealership and order one. I think the haynes are like 20.00 here, the chiltons around 25, and the last time I bought a factory service manual it was almost 50.00. The factory manual tells you everything step by step.

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah, 'cause I can't find anything online and I don't want to pay those dicks who did a shitty tint job any money to fuck up my instrument cluster. I can do that for free.

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I always order the factory service manuals after the car is like three or so years old or older. There is one company that makes them for I believe all the big three auto makers. The name is on the tip of my tounge. Trust me with the factory service manuals you have instructions for doing whatever you need to do. Here it is Helm is the name of the company.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Trust me from a mechanics perspective. Using the right knowledge is as important as having the right tools. Those may cost more but they are good manuals the service centers use and their motivation for a good manual is at the bottom line efficiency. Do it right the first time no need to be a second one. Ironically if you look at the order page there is an example of the contents and it shows a dash and apparently reference to instructions on removal.