College Football 2008

Discussion in 'Sports' started by MAJ Havoc, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Clemson just fired Bowden. Here is an interesting quote.

.....Bowden's dismissal was justified.

"I'd call it karma," he said. "I thought it needed to be done. I think anytime a head coach or someone in a leadership position starts to place blame on his coaches and players, it weakens their respect on the team. His past experiences have shown he's done that."

Hummm. If that is true, then the Karma wagon should be circling Tuberville. Evidently Karma doesn't work on Teflon.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

We didnt punch it in on Saturday like we should have. There were at least 4 opportunities where we got field goals and not touchdowns. They say that TN has one of the best defenses in the SEC, I will say that they have the dirtiest cheap shot defense in the SEC. Its like playing against a prison team. Ridiculous.

But there is still a lot of football left. If our O line keeps getting better we will be set. Moreno looked good, 1st RB to put a century on TN, and Caleb King came in late for a good spark. Massaquou had some really good grabs.

I cant believe how busted up LSU looked.

And what the fuck is up with Oklahoma losing and only dropping to 4????

3. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

The "T" in Tennessee stands for THUGS. A team reflects their coach. Fulmer is a low life. He recruits the same.

Georgia has to get their mind right. They have the talent. Actually their COACH needs to get his mind right. Saban was in his head, and it cost him the first half.

You can see the effects of psychology in football up at Clemson. Great talent, and a coach that strives for mediocrity. Just like his Dad, he is a great guy, but at best is unable to pull together a Champion. Bowden SR is the same way. He may die the "winningest" coach in college football, but in 42 years of coaching, he has only had 1 undefeated season.

The "great" Eddie Robinson was the same. He went 44 straight years without an undefeated season.

I am not saying that they aren't good coaches. I am just saying that the elite base their success on the psychology of perfection.

Paterno has 6 perfect seasons. Bryant had 4 perfect seasons. Both of them were disgusted with 11-1 records. Bryant only kept the pictures of his undefeated teams in his office. He didn't have a picture of his National Champions in '73, but he had a picture of his '66 team that was 11-0 but finished third.

Saban hasn't got it, at least not yet. if you look at his record, he has an unexplained loss nearly every year. Richt hasn't got it (yet) either. Spurrier has NEVER had an unblemished record.

Tom Osbourne at Nebraska was undefeated in 3 of his last 4 years. In his last five years of coaching, he compiled a record of 60-3. Now that is a champion. Osbourne's Huskers simply did not believe that they could be beat.

4. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Those Osbourne teams were pretty damn good. They put up like 70pts a game.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Oh, and since I cant edit and add this.....

I think the psychology of it is a valid point. Even our fans are that way. We dont say, 'we are going to kick their asses all over the field', it's always 'should be a good game' people are afraid to jinx the game.

How funny is that?

Oh and I cant wear anything with the 'g' on it, dont know why. We have been getting our asses kicked before, take off the logo shirt, and boom we come back and win.

Go figure.

6. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Say whatever about Alabama, but deep down I expect to win every game no matter what the odds. I am never surprised when they win, only shocked when they lose. The Bama fan base for the large part grew up in a time when Alabama won a hell of a lot of games for a long time. My parents bought Sugar Bowl tickets every year as soon as they were avaialable. It never occurred to them that they might not need them.

That psychology of expecting to win is huge. Notre Dame used to have it, but something happened to their mojo. nebraska too, but it died with Osbourne.

Alabama has it more than any team I know, and it is for a reason. As sick as it sounds, (and is) Bear Bryant still lives here. I swear their are people who believe that he watches the games from his new tower in heaven. You do know that his practice tower still stands at Alabama don't you?

All during the 60's and 70's Alabama football was the ONLY thing this backwards ass State had that was world class. We cling to football like a tick to a coon dog. Hell, it's still about all we have.

7. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

This thread is as dead as Auburn's offense.

8. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Well we squeeked by Vandy, of course the bad calls (again) really hurt us...

9. Robman97

Robman97 Member

10. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Texas has some good games coming up. Of course USC and Penn State dont, so that will probably mean at least one of them will be in the BCS title game.

11. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Texas looked awesome. The only thing I wonder about is the apparent lack of defense in the Big 12. It's easy to look like an NFL team if the defenses are Ivy league.

There is no question that the SEC plays defense. A good example of this is the 2004 Cotton Bowl with Alabama and Texas Tech. The Red Rapers hadn't scored less than 23 points in a game all year. Alabama holds them to season lows in everything, and only 10 points.

I think that Texas is a VERY VERY good team. I do not believe that Alabama could outscore them in a shootout, but it would be interesting to see what would happen with Texas against an SEC defense.

My prediction for the rest of the year - Florida and LSU in the SEC championship game. Florida wins easily, and plays Texas for the National title. The only glitch is Penn State. They only have to beat a pitiful Ohio State team to go undefeated. They don't have the talent to beat Texas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or USC. but they may back into the NC game because of an undeafeated season.

Screw the BCS. I hate it already.

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I dont see Alabama losing a SEC game. The way LSU looked against SC I dont think they are going to be able to score against Bama's D. Trickeration and luck to beat Carolina isnt SEC Championship material.

I know you are scare't to admit it, but Alabama looks really good. JPW had the game of his life against us, and we'd like to give him another opportunity in Atlanta on the 6th of December. Of course we got a trip to 'Death Valley', Jacksonville (nuetral my ass) and Jordan-Hare in the next 4 weeks. If our team wants its swagger back, now is the time for it to come out. 172yds against a stingy Vandy D puts Knowshown right back up there. If Richt and Bobo trust the line enough to exploit it we will see.

I would like to see some Moreno/King sets in the Backfield, but then again, I am old school and think the Wing T can be run on anyone......

:)

13. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I would be willing to say that Alabama looks good if they could win at least one second half. They lost the second half to Georgia 30-10. to Kentucky 14 -3 and to Mississippi 20-0. Not to mention that they disn't score on Tulane in the second half either. That ain't gonna getcha to Atlanta, unless you are just lucky as hades.

14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think they did the same thing against us that we do when we get a lead (it's been a while), but we go into a prevent defense, rush 3, dont blitz and the opposing team crawls back into it. Then on offense it's usually a couple of runs and an incompletion and a punt.

Against Vandy we were able to move the ball there at the end, which allowed us to run the clock out, the 40 second clock will ruin college football.

It sucks knowing that with 2:30 on the clock, if you have no timeouts, your opponent can run the clock out. Sad.

15. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I hate the 40 second clock already, but Alabama probably would not be undefeated if the old rule was in place.

16. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Woe Eagle

Ouch.

17. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Wow, what a weekend.

Georgia and Florida looked great. Florida destroyed Kentucky. I think Kentucky was all beat up, but pasting 63 points on them is amazing. The Georgia/Florida game next week should be a war. I can't decide who I think will win. If Georgia's O line was just a little more experienced, I would pick Georgia. Florida has crazy speed at the skill positions, but Georgia can match them. I have this feeling that Georgia is due, and Florida loses this one.

Alabama finally played a full game, and looked good doing it. They simply dominated Tennesse, which surprised me. I knew that Alabama was pretty good, but they actually looked like a National Championship contender yesterday. I think the defense was better without Cody. They used four very quick linemen, and the pass pressure was impressive. Cody is too slow for a pass rusher.

I would love to see Alabama make it to Atlanta. I think beating Georgia or Florida in the SEC title game would be more difficult than beating Penn State or Texas in a NC game.

Oh, and Phatboy, if you see Richt tell him that he needs a haircut.

18. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

19. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

There is an echo in here......

20. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

Bama is #1, Auburn sucks. It's like I warped back into the 70's