Car is being a dick

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Probably should have went with the extended warranty. :frown:

It takes a while to turn over. It doesn't do it everytime. Usually does it after it has been driven a short distance and parked for a few... anyway, it cranks... too long and then it might turn over or it might not. I know it has an electric starter and you just have to turn the key and let go and it will start on it's own, but it still does this bullshit. I'm afraid that one day it's not gonna start at all and I will go ballistic on it.

My 13 year old car always starts. i'm gonna have to drive it and let the 3 year old one sit in the driveway.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Describe the problem in as much detail as you can (what do you do, what do you hear, etc.)

If it's a bad starter, there are copper parts that wear within the starter solenoid that can be replaced for much less than replacing the entire unit.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I should just make a video everytime I start my car. It always starts right up cold. Seems like the issue is when it's warm. So if I make a video everytime, in I dunno a day, I can probably show you the problem.

I want to put it on youtube because I am not the only one bitching about it. It happens to other people and they have replaced the ignition and all kinds of other shit to no avail. As long as it starts, oh well, it's just embarrassing, but I am nervous that one day it won't start.

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

The ground post on the starter solenoid has a loose connection. Its the tiny one with the 5/16th nut that holds it down.

They are classic for doing that if you try to tighten the little booger it strips or breaks the little stud its attacked to. Ask a mechanic I could be wrong because the newer model starters may not be as prone to this.

There have been issues with starters to close to the exhaust headers that just get to hot to operate properly. But that's usually on peoples cars with aftermarket headers and shit without the heat shield. Or one where it was worked on and the mechanic never put the heat shield back in place where it is supposed to be. But should not be a problem on a factory vehicle .... one would think.

5. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Wouldn't a bad starter not crank at all or sound like a dead battery... like a clicking sound?

It actually cranks like it's gonna start but cranks longer than it should and then it might start or it might not.

It's done it 6 times in the last two weeks. Yesterday, started fine cold, went to the pet store, started fine, went to Auto Zone, started fine, went home started it again, started fine, went to the dollar store, it took two tries to start, went to the grocery store, started fine. It's weird.

I'll catch that fucker on video, hopefully you will be able to hear/see what I am talking about.

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Good idea.

My whole scenario is if it was turning the motor slow. Reluctant to engage. This would be typical of a short at that terminal. Because its the connection that can sometimes be sufficient sometimes not.

Same with battery connections.

If the motor is turning up to speed but taking longer then my first suspicion would be the fuel supply, ever hear of a condition called vapor lock on a warm motor? Also you can have a similar short on the connection to the fuel pump. Also see if yours has a submersed pump inside the fuel cell with the fuel sending unit all together. They are known to have issues if you commonly run at the empty mark. They need the fuel to stay cool.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Fuel Filter, clogged injector. It could be any part of the fuel system.

Heck it could be the sparkplugs. I wouldnt think the ignition system would be bad, it sounds like its not getting spark, or gas.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It was fine today... of course, since I was recording it.