Canada

Discussion in 'More Serious Topics' started by Nauseous, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I plan on going in a month or two and again maybe in the spring or if I like it, again before winter. If I really like it, I thought about moving there one day.

Any Canadians still lurk here?

2. Aballister

Aballister New Member

Whereabouts are you coming? I think I know most of the skanky towns in the prairies.

3. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Toronto and Niagara Falls. I thought if I liked the area around Niagara, St Catharines and if I liked Toronto, obviously Toronto because I looked at places like Burlington and Hamilton but found areas of Toronto that the housing albeit was expensive, it wasn't as horrible as I expected. Not like Los Angeles or anything big city here in the states.

I don't like living in a big city, but would like to have one somewhat close by. I prefer rural areas. I don't want neighbors smashed against me.

I also still want to be somewhat close to the US. Right now, I'm about 6 1/2 hrs from St Catharines and about 8 hrs from Toronto. If I migrate, I am migrating north, not south. I hate the south. I even thought of Maine, but I have always liked Canada. I grew up watching Canadian tv on our satellite dish so I have always felt partly Canadian. I want to go to Toronto to see the Distillery District where Friday the 13th the Series storefront Curious Goods was filmed. I want to see the Vincent Massey Public School where Degrassi was filmed, walk by Much Music and actually see all of the stuff I remember as a kid. :)

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Oh god if I could get away from the city (more accurately the burbs) and make a good living I would so be there.

I'm not so big on the cold but I liked most people I have met from Main or New Hampshire and the Adirondacks would be awesome to check out. I bet Nova Scotia is nice.

I talk to people in from Penn to New York, and the surrounding areas. They are a miserable bunch. Colorado people in my experience are the most laid back and content. There is a good place to look at. Also Nevada and N. California in the mountains been there ant it is kick ass if your into getting away.

5. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Joe, you'd be miserable in Canaduh. Taxes out the ass (income tax, GST, HST,) health/prescription insurance tax for Socalized medicine, Property, etc...

Of course, we have some of those here (and the way things are going, we might get 'em all with the Liberal 'Yes Man' in office,) but as of now, the ones we share seem to be lower.

And, of course, at least here you can still have guns that Canadians only see in the movies.

6. Aballister

Aballister New Member

I don't know what the heck anyone would want an Uzi for but, I guess if you can, go for it.

When you are charged HST you do not pay for GST, it's already included in the HST.

As for the income tax, according to a Wikipedia article; the bottom 50% of the population, in terms of income, are taxed the same in both countries. I will admit that Canadian taxes are indeed higher but, according to the same article, the difference is minimal.

Ontario is nice, make sure to check out all those old colonial houses in the south of the province.

7. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Can't say that an Uzi would be my first choice, but there are many other guns that would no doubt fall into this category.

Got a wiki for you that I found amusing: "The Firearms Act of 1995 does not recognise self-defence as a valid reason to acquire a firearm in Canada, though the Criminal Code allows reasonable use of force in self-defence." (spelling errors left intact) ;)

Funny contradiction, wouldn't you say?

I would love to visit Canada, especially to see your side of the falls, and check out some natural scenery, I bet it's beautiful. I also hear that there's this white stuff that falls out of the sky occasionally - we see it here every decade or so, but it rarely sticks to the ground intact. I'm also a fan of architecture, but was too young to have an appreciation for it when I lived in Rhode Island back in the early 80's. Sometimes I get a wild hair to take a trip up there just to check out places I went to - most of all, the Breakers mansion.

8. Aballister

Aballister New Member

I think that it means that you can't purchase a weapon for "home defence" purposes specifically, but if someone shows up to rob you or murder your family, you have the right to use your hunting or sports firearms to protect yourself.

Defense spelled with a "c" is the Canadian version of the word. See colour, humour, odour, and ketchup flavored chips. ;)

9. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I'd visit not stay.

And Uzi or an HK MP5 some would argue against categorizing them together. If your working as a team and you are fast and know fire control techniques implemented well. .... and carry several forms of backup. Here is the deal if you have the element of surprise then there is just to much happening you cannot respond to the wall of lead and chaos coming your way.

Flip it the other way around if a team of professionals carrying Uzi's are surprised in an ambush the aggressors are gonna feel like they ambushed themselves when in response a wall of lead comes their way all they can do is take cover while your team regains a tactical advantage.

They make really shitty sniper weapons though trust me don't try it. You could get your eye shot out.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Oh and if I had my choice I'd be out their on the western edge of the Texas Hill country with a big ass spread no less than say a hundred acre. But damn if I'm gonna dream why not add having my own personal helicopter...

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I see the reasoning, but it is still flawed. If the courts will allow said defense, then there should be no unreasonable reason for the law to stand in the way of a law-abiding citizen purchasing a weapon to protect himself, his family, or his property, in the event that a non-law-abiding citizen decides to infringe upon it.

Note the 'winky face' smiley behind my direct quote... It was intended as a joke to reference your spelling and indicate that I was well aware of the spelling differences... Here it is again: ;)

12. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Your "if I could make a good living" statement led me to doubt... Just had to steer you back on track, that's all... :)

That's just it - they're meant for clearing rooms. The Uzi, for sure, but can't say that I'd apply that to the MP5... I'd hazard a guess that it's quite a bit more reliable than the Uzi, and probably better at clearing a room from a distance, but I wouldn't... (to be continued)

...EVER trust it as a sniper. 308 would be my versatile round of choice for that, unless I had a hell of a scope, then I'd opt for the 50 cal. :)

I'd still pick the H/K over the Uzi.

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

That may truly be the last frontier. I say we pool our resources, declare Texas as a sovereign state, emancipate, give everyone a rifle... err, let everyone buy their own fucking rifle, and be self-sufficient. Only then will I approve of a state income tax (if we still call it a 'state' at that time.)

14. Robman97

Robman97 Member

My step father has a work permit and is working at a nuclear Power plant in Ontario. My kids went up for 3 weeks, then my wife and I drove up and stayed for a week. We visited Toronto and Niagara both. Toronto is amazing, I have never heard that many different languages in one day before. We visited a awesome little micro-brewery named Steam Whistle, I am enjoying a beer as I type this. They are a super green company and unfortunately only sell their beer in Ontario. Niagara is amazing, the falls are unbelievable. Tax isn't too bad, the prices are high as hell though. What costs 10 to 12 bucks here will probably run you 18 to 20 in the touristy areas. The Highway system blows ass too, Toronto isn't that far from where my parents live, but it took forever having to take a bunch of farm roads. Living there wouldn't be much different than living in the states, if I got a good job there I would move.

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Eww... mad now. See next post.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  16. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

I don't have a real problem with Canada to visit, however I couldn't leave my kids behind to move there. The top one is my new baby, a Remington R-25 in .308 with a Nikon 3-9 50mm objective lens scope. And on top of that I don't want to have to wipe my ass with maple leaves, it's the law up there in Americas' hat.

Attached Files:

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  18. BullGod666

BullGod666 Member

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

This is so true I have met plenty of really nice well mannered Pits. They just have a lot of game in them and want to please and this gets exploited.

20. Aballister

Aballister New Member

As a dog lover myself I'm glad I don't live in Ontario.

May I suggest Saskatchewan? That's where I live. Everything is cheaper here too. The taxes, the driver's license, schools, and insurance. The province is mostly dedicated to farming and oil rigs. But it has some breathtaking views, the sky feels like it's so much bigger than in the east. I don't know why.

:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D575%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C1482&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=280&ei=EM9mTP-OKZGinQeP_NzABQ&oei=Hc5mTKDUHNCDnQeI1uHBBQ&esq=6&page=4&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:43&tx=62&ty=69&biw=1024&bih=575">

:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D575%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C4218&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=449&ei=JNBmTNm7Os7-nAfEoeDCBQ&oei=ks9mTMrRCpOLnAecx_HBBQ&esq=3&page=10&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:130&tx=128&ty=39&biw=1024&bih=575">