Camera aficionados, photogs, shutterbugs?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Joeslogic, May 3, 2009.

1. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Wolf camera was going out of business so I figured I could not loose on the deal they had for a 10 Megapixel Digital SLR for closeout sale. Its the same camera I took the shitty wide angle picture of my fence with.

I'm reading the user guide and finding I have not the slightest idea what aperture means. So I'm now using Wikipedia as a great source to learn.

Honestly I got an average deal no really good deal depending on how you look at it. the package was ~350 and I got the camera and two lenses, charger, usb cable.. .no remote though :frown:

I could get a smaller regular camera with higher pixel and all that for cheaper but I want to be able to have more control and really just learn about real photography. How to manipulate the look with shutter speed, depth of focus etc., this could be an addictive hobby. So surely some of you took photography in high school or collage.

So beginner or advanced tips welcome. You could take some pictures and post for example maybe. Software also like for example Photo shop tips.

I played with Photoshop before and it was quite fascinating yet overwhelming. My kit came with Olympus Master2 software which is not nearly as advanced but something to master before getting deeper into it.

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I'll trade you for my VGA-quality HP webcam.

No longer will you long for the abundance of spare batteries - rest assured that your camera will always be powered by the 5V coming out of the USB port. As far as storage is concerned, why settle for an 8 or 16 gig memory card when you can use your entire HDD as a storage unit, with transfer speeds approaching USB 1.1 limits?

Think about it, bro - I'll even cut you a deal on shipping. :biggrin:

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Now there is a deal! What was I thinking this is Fugly forums after all.

Honestly though its crazy how technology advances these days. By the time I master all the features of this camera your typical cell phone will come with a 20 mega pixel camera. :eek:

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

WTF? Yours is that outdated?

Fuck - 20 MP is sooooo last week, Joe. :rolleyes:

5. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Cool tips for photo taking

Check these out all great tips.

http://blog.webshots.com/?p=1075

Another one I'll add. Make a poor mans tripod out of: string, as washer, and a bolt.

Just get a machine bolt with the same thread as a typical tripod head and tie a string to it make the string the right length to lay on the ground next to your foot while you hold the camera to peer through the eye piece. Tie a washer to the end for weight.

There you have it put your foot on the washer and tension on the string to hold the camera steady for a shake/blur free shot.

6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I've found that dead hookers make excellent bipods, too. Before the rigor mortis sets in, of course, otherwise they're just about as useful as a string and some nuts & bolts, but much heavier and cumbersome to maneuver with.

7. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I figured the rigor mortise part was key you just adjust the position then they sort of lock in place. To keep them mobile you just make them go with you and carry all the camera gear. Make sure to bring two.

8. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

Hey Joe what kind of photography do you want to pursue? landscapes,still life,etc etc? Ive been into it for about a year and a half now,I recently picked up a cool little tripod when I was in Reims,Ill post a pick in a bit,Its awsome for what it is,now all I need is a cable release adapter and cable release.

9. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

Ok heres a Macro shot of it,its small and really cool,I used it to get that shot at the cathedral at Reims the feet are extendable too

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Holy fuck! Is that a 12 meg card in that stock photo?!?

I know it's old, but I never knew they had a 12 meg version of the SD/MMC... That's like giving a person a mid-ground to take between storing two or four pictures now. :biggrin:

11. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

Heh,no its 32Mh thats the transfer rate,if you look hard you can see a big 32 across the front in a diff shade of black,I think its either a 1 or 2 gig card,I got a bunch of em so I can swap em out on the fly.

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You know I'd like to have a small one like that for ease of use and a really good however decently priced larger one that is adjustable at any angle with a level and all.

I was looking at these at Fry's a local store here.

It does not have all the features I'd like but it is in my price range. One thing my camera can do is make some pretty killer wide angle shots by using software to stitch images together but one key way to make them look good is a tripod that will rotate in increments. It would need to be lightweight also.

Another cool idea for hiking with the camera for some killer shots would be a monopod.

Like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?url=search-alias%3Dphoto&field-keywords=monopod&x=0&y=0

13. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

I guess thats kind of a compliment cause thats not a stock photo,I took that right after I posted the previous post,cool you thought it was stock though

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  14. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

Im always doing pano's and I almost never use a tripod for them,esp if I am doing a multiple X Y axis composite image,things like clouds ppl and light make it a time sensitive issue,but when you need a tripod,theres no substitute,Ill put up some of my pano's to show

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I really wish that someone would invent a conversion kit to turn an analog SLR into a Digital SLR. I think it could easily be done actually but the industry does not want that.

Also I think the technology is there to use a zoom wide angle lens to take multiple shots of the same picture at different focus levels making any lens have a virtual aperture or "F number" of near zero. Making 5000.00 dollar lenses obsolete. Just use the software to layer the images on top of each other.

Think about how that would piss off the guy who had just bought a lense like this:Olympus 300mm f/2.8 Super Telephoto ED Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras

Listed at nearly $8k

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  16. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

OK this is the Mt Blanc massive with a storm coming in from Italy,the peak of Mt Blanc is the border between France and Italy,this was taken last year.It was an off hand pano taken from my balcony,if you can get good at taking pano's without a tripod then just think,youll always be able to get a pano where ever you are,youll have that much more freedom with your camera,and its not hard either.

17. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah I took a few of my back yard just playing around no tripod just me standing there and turning slightly. I bet the more pictures per at a tighter increment helps.

I need to get back over to the Baker Hotel to take some pics Pukey should get a kick out of.

I wish I had this nicer camera when I went to Lost Maples park. You're motivating me to get out and take some shots.

Here is a picture with perspective being low to the ground it's at one of the missions in Central TX taken with a cheap 5mp digital.

Another

I even kind of like this pic of simply clouds. It's like suddenly God lowered it now earth has a 300meter ceiling.

18. Sallanches

Sallanches New Member

The first shot might make you some money,Its a great shot,I took an almost identical shot when I was at the missions in San Antonio,the second shot honestly looks like a photo I would take in the same situation,I refer to photos like that as "visually interesting" and the third photo reminds me of Blood Simple for some reason.

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah that second one is like earth with a splash of sky on the middle with the sharp straight boarders it make a sort of impression to me. It would really be cool on one of those days where the moon is showing during the later part of the day to catch that through the window. Those type shots are rare indeed. If it were to ever happen.