AC Repair

Discussion in 'Cars' started by phatboy, Jul 29, 2008.

1. phatboy

phatboy New Member

So has anyone done a complete R-12 to 134a refrigerant swap?

I have swapped the 'adapters' for the high and low pressue valves, but never gone in detail enough with it to swap the rings and what not. Im thinking about doing this to my Acura this weekend.

When just doing the inputs it will stay could for 3-4 weeks before the 134a leaks out, which inst bad at 5-8.00 a can.

Any ideas?

2. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I have had a/c troubles too. I added a can, it worked for a couple of days and quit working. The gauge read charged, a week or so later we added a can and a half and it's been working for weeks now.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I think when I charge it Im going to get the stuff with the 'stop leak' in it.

I only drive this turd to work and occasionally to run errands in, so Im not too worried about it, but it would be nice on days like today where it is 102 w/100% humidity.

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Yeah, I was going to say get something a little pricey with a guarantee. Some of them have a 2 yr guarantee. Then put a can in immediately after it. I've heard people say it does a good job.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Well its been almost a week and it is still blowing cold. One more can is what I need, I believe, I read that if you just shoot it in till the pipes 'sweat'. Then you know its full.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Did it have a gauge? A lot of those cans come with a gauge.

7. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Nah, I should have ponied up and bought a decent kit. I think you can get them from Harbor Freight pretty cheap (with the guage).