Stuff That Happened Recently (Somewhat)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aballister, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Aballister

Aballister New Member

I've been incredibly busy with term finals and a fifteen-page essay on statistical manipulations in the business environment. I'm just starting to catch-up on American politics and boy, I've missed quite a bit.

The senate race in Connecticut, a democrat and a republican getting along? I was impressed when I heard the story. These guys called each other up, agreed to forgo the usual cheap attacks and dirty campaigning in favour of a civilized race. Jon Stewart remarked that the fact that we feel it's newsworthy to mention senators getting along sheds light on how sad the political landscape has become.

Obama's middle-class tax cuts. Why aren't they being implemented and why are the republicans fighting it? Can Joe or Lomotil explain that one to me?

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Statistical Manipulation, is that like how ever phone has the fastest network, and how ever truck has the most horsepower and towing? Manipulating the statistics to make it look like theirs is the best (fine print is funny).

3. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

That way John Stewert gets to "statistically manipulate" Republicans but the Republican cannot say anything "Deemed" un nice like "Hold on what you are claiming is impossible, a lie, untrue, incorrect..." So the Democrat lies, and the media backs up the Democrats lies, Then when the Republican attempts to counter with the truth, Stewart gets to throw mud on the Republicans illustrating to the stupid amongst us what the left wing media said.

Yeah I can see why Stewart would like that.

What tax cut? Are you speaking of the Obama administration's use of "statistical manipulations" by way of his campaign headquarter based in the ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC news offices?

4. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yeah I like to think of it as the stupid tax.

I do not pay any attention to that stuff about horse power and towing capacity in truck commercials. I like the trucks advertised by real mans man kind of guy with a gruff sounding voice that likes to drive around in slow motion and kick up stuff like water, sand, mud, dust, dirt....

5. Aballister

Aballister New Member

Joe, you shouldn't try to see attacks in everything I write. Statistical manipulations often happen when one side tries to persuade another side to invest, the risk appears reduced and benign when the numbers look good. In my essay I proposed short seminars on how to read graphs and basic statistics 101 for decision makers, it proved adequate in England where the last study was conducted.

I don't know why you get angry over Jon Stewart. The segment showed the democrat and republican senators sitting side by side and agreeing to put gloves on during the campaign. Do you even read what I write or do you just spot a couple words you don't like and then just go off on a tangent?

6. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

Yes no doubt people in general need to understand the basics of statistical manipulation. This is regardless of if they work in the business world, a home maker, or just somewhere in between. I was just drawing a parallel between this and other manipulations. The "gloves on" approach was a net loss for the Republican for the reasons stated however.

7. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

...and on that same note, I laugh when I hear the "Whataburger" radio commercials that have the old white guy talking about "chorizo." Seems about as natural as someone advertising a career in Amish medicine. :biggrin:

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Speaking of being busy, I've been in the throes of the same horse for a while now, obviously, as I missed this thread (or, it was buried during the spam flood.)

For starters, I don't subscribe to cable TV. That excludes me from any propaganda given on any channel, and from any bias. I don't watch Fox News, Jon Stewart, MSNBC, CNN, or any other channel. Hell, the last time I had cable TV, MTV was still showing music videos, with the occasional serpent's venom of a reality show or otherwise, here and there.

Despite this, I do notice trends, usually through social media via the Internet, or the occasional visit to someone's house that has a news channel on (or Jon Stewart.) From what I've gathered, coupled with the obvious opinion of the voters during the mid-term election, people are not happy with the direction the government has placed them in.

What I'm seeing the people finally come to terms with is that the forced health care reform legislation has aggravated not only the ones whom understood it from the beginning, but also the ones that voted for those whom would enact it, then realized just how horrendous it was, after the fact.

The second thing I'm noticing that people are becoming aware of (and this may be a stretch - maybe I give the average person more cognitive credit than is due,) is that the expiration of the 'tax cuts' (I use that term loosely, in reality it's an extension of a repeal of Clinton's tax increases, the largest in the history of the country,) and the adverse impact it would have on job creation. Only an imbecile would think that taxing the employers more (they like to call it "the rich") will result in a drop in unemployment. It's not quantum physics, for chrissakes... If I have to spend the time to type it out for someone to understand, I'm wasting both my time and theirs.

But to address your question, [Why aren't the Republicans fighting Obama's "middle-class tax cuts?"] - Are you saying that Republicans BLOCKED a tax cut? From my understanding, Republicans BLOCKED ALL TAX INCREASES. Across the board. Period. The exclusion of a tax raise for all classes does not mean that the middle class was cheated just because they weren't subject to a potential massive tax hike like their more successful neighbors. :rolleyes:

9. Aballister

Aballister New Member

Thanks for the reply.

The Obamacare has actually been in effect in some areas of health care for a while now. I think it's bizarre that the Democrats haven't been boasting about it. I'm saying this because one of the changes in effect is that the health insurance companies cannot deny coverage to children with pre-existing conditions. Sick children won't have to needlessly die and the parents won't have to go into huge debt or bankruptcy to save their kids' lives.

But what can you do. It's an evil bill meant to rip America apart right? Fuck the children! Who the fuck needs 'em?

Because let's face it, God forbids we ever help each other out. Right? No such thing as chipping in. You gotta work for every penny you have and if you can't work, tough titty.

Just ask these guys:

[video=youtube;6ik4f1dRbP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ik4f1dRbP8[/video]

A crippling disease shouldn't have to stop you from finding work and paying for the staggering cost of treatment. It's his fault right? He's just looking for a handout. Fearing for his life and the prospect of spending his last days in suffering agony never crossed his mind. He's only after easy money.

WWJD?

Jesus would say fuck the children, fuck the Parkinson's victim, and fuck the poor people. True to Republican values.

10. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

11. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

As far as the 'pre-existing' conditions rule for children goes, I say let it go.

This is what absolutely amuses me when it comes to Liberals. They are all for abortion, but once a child is born, they want to drape a golden fleece around it!

The same folks that support a woman's "right to choose" abandon that thought process when Natural Selection comes into play. Let the weakest children die already! Shit!

Do we really want out future society to be comprised of children that needed a breathing tube, or any other form of artificial support in order to live? Shit - those kids will eventually grow up and pass those shitty genes onto future generations! Then, will the government be able to support not only "Dad's" ailments, but also those of his offsprings? For fuck's sake! Leave it alone! Let nature do it's job and keep the weak and sick out of the goddamn gene pool!!

Three generations ago, my great-grandparents had six children, three of which died before their 6th birthday. Nowadays, people want any single mom with six kids to be entitled to health care? Fuck that! Let natural selection run it's course and just watch...

12. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You Lomo are a product of natural selection! But then again aren't we all. But the future generations are more likely to be a product of the reverse.

Welfare is reverse natural selection. That guy with Parkinson's disease gets Medicare or medicaid if not covered by regular insurance. Same for the kids. Liberals think this unfair. So the solution is to force ALL of the citizens to use government care. Sounds insane because it's liberalism.

13. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Mike Judge hit the nail right on the head with the movie Idiocracy.

14. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

And you know here is the deal it is hard to begrudge someone for being "duped" by the spin doctors.

You see the video with the guy and the sign and the actors in the background "staged" and at face value you are appalled as well you should if it were not for the damn facts. I just cannot help it I have always been this way, I tend not to react until I consider all the facts, if something is not right it just glaringly jumps out at me. People watch this video Aballister posted and see. Hateful Republicans pouncing on some dude with a disease. I watch it and the bullshit meter flips all the way to the right. The solution being implied is that this guy has nothing haven fallen on bad circumstance beyond his control. The FACT is that we all are and will pay for his care and did long before Obama came into the political picture. Its called MEDICARE or MEDICAID.

Pay attention to this quote by Peter O'Tool.

15. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I meant to say the solution being implied to Parkinson's disease is Obamacare. Of course we know this is not a cure for Parkinson's disease. All Obama Care does is lower the bar for all and give more power to the government.

And it seems I quoted P J O Rourke wrong person but the correct quote.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011