Could Hops Be Addictive?

Discussion in 'Drinking' started by JEFE, May 13, 2009.

1. JEFE

JEFE New Member

I used to drink Miller Lite, or Bud Light or anything that was considered beer up until about a year ago when I bought a six-pack of Stone-IPA and Ever since then I've been consumed with finding the hoppiest, strongest beer I can get.

It's been a mission.

I even started brewing my own beer and I now understand that hops are what balance out the sweetness of the malt sugars in beer and what give it that bitter, distinctive taste.

My problem is, I am drinking a Stone IPA again tonight and it actually tastes sweet to me.

I feel like I want to break open one of these packs of hop pellets and chew some while I drink this.

So my question is, it is possible that hops are addictive? I know they're just a plant but then again, so are poppies?

What gives?

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

If I were you, I'd change the title of this thread to read "Could HopS be addictive?" instead of the current title, "Could HOPE be addictive?"

Chemically/biologically speaking, however, what you're studying warrants investigation. I'm being serious here, by the way. What we need to do is break down the Hops ingredient into it's basic chemical structure, analyze the molecular structure itself, determine what affinity the valence electrons within it's outer orbits have, reference any previous studies into the matter and their findings, and how the individual molecules behave during a situation that typically reinforces addictive behavior - and then cross-reference that data with documented neurological data (which is still what I refer to as a 'virgin science') to see how it may either interact, influence, or create synapses within the brain itself.

Might sound like I'm talking out of my ass here, but we should study this. Maybe we can get a governmental grant to pay us to get drunk and record our findings?

3. Fugly

Fugly Administrator Staff Member Fugly Staff

Fixed.

4. JEFE

JEFE New Member

Somebody here should smoke some and see what happens.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

I saw that earlier and just figured he was drunk.

6. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I think anything can be addictive. Physically, I doubt that hops are addictive, but mentally, yes. I am mentally addicted to Kroger Pumpkin Pie.

There are hops in my deodorant. I'm not sure what purpose they serve, but they put it on the label like it's a big deal.

7. BIGMAMA

BIGMAMA New Member

just wanted to share with everyone what a retard I am .

I did not read the what TOPIC this was... and when I saw "hops" I pictured someone jumping. ... then a pictured someone constantly jumping since they were addicted to it. Then I started thinking about turrets syndrome. Then I pictured a kid jumping around a store saying cuss words.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I saw the original 'hope' part and thought it was spam so I didn't even click on it.