Hey Phatboy

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Nauseous, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

If I find one of these in good shape, do you think it would be a good idea?

I have wanted one since I was 6 years old. There was one for sale close to my house. I was going to see if it was still for sale and how much they would want. Would parts still be easy to find? I would prefer an '86.

2. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Yea, parts for those are pretty easy to find. The V-8 they put in most of them was the 305, which they put in the Silverado as well, and the caprice. The 89-92s were pretty nice, the earlier ones, like the 82s were a little harder on the eyes. They are going pretty inexpensively down here. the 92 (25th anniversary edition) was the last of this body style. Then they went to that stupid alien supository looking thing.

I dont think these will ever get to 'classic' status so they should remain relatively inexpensive. Chevrolet parts are the least expensive out there. When they put in a power window switch they try to put it into all their vehicles. Anyone with an 73-87 Pickup/Blazer/Suburban can attest the the switch in an 85 Silverado is the same one found in an 89 Caprice, or 83 Cutlass or Regal. If you would like I can check prices in the local rag here, www.iwanta.net and see what those year models are going for. The 305 is a dependable motor, the 700r4 transmission (OD) is pretty good too. The weak spot would be the control module, and the plasticy interior pieces. Pontiac Firebirds were a lot worse than the Camaros.

3. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Here is whats active on the site. Not too bad.

4. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I looked at an '87 Formula Firebird the other day but it was pretty fucked up. It had 434k miles and it was probably on it's third engine.

5. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Holy crap.

I thought my Acura had a lot of miles on it (199,699).

6. phatboy

phatboy New Member

The easiest way to tell the Camaros apart is the tail lights. Now some people may have 'updated' theirs but its not too likely, people would put money in Ebay 'euros' before buying oem.

The older ones have this set up, (taken from an IROC site that bashed the guy for trying to make his 2.8 v-6 'look like' an Iroc).

Notice the 2-layer stack.

The newer ones had a 3 layer stack. I think 89 was the changing point. May have been 88.

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Thanks for all of the info. I like the 3 layer stack, personally.

I have only found a couple advertised around here. One was an '82 and they want 3k.

8. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

I drove a '92 today. It had low miles but it was kinda rough.

Is it normal for the brake to feel like you have to shove it to the floor to get it to work? And the gas pedal was like pushing a rock. Maybe it was because it was a V8? I think the only other V8 sports car I have driven was a Stingray and I can't remember if it felt weird like that. It made me nervous.

9. phatboy

phatboy New Member

Thats about the way the ones I have driven have been. The brakes could just need new calipers and a good bleeding. Did it have ABS and 4 wheel discs? If it had drums in the rear it could cause the spongey feeling on the brakes. Nothing too bad. Was it a 305 RS? 92 should be the 25th anniversary edition, Im not sure if they put the 'emblem' deal on all of that year.

10. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

I remember in the late 80's that those cars were high on the list for stolen parts. Probably wouldn't have to worry much nowadays, as thieves are more interested in Camry or Accords to strip and sell... ...

Just make sure you find a nice "Venetian Blinds" cover for your rear windshield. :biggrin:

11. Dilaudid Daisy

Dilaudid Daisy New Member

I drive an 89 and I love it.

12. phatboy

phatboy New Member

A buddy of mine had an 89 RS back in the day, the poon we pulled with that thing. It wasnt fast, but it was nice and the chicks liked it.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

What is an 89?

I know what an 88 is.

Oh camaro.

We have a word around here that I would like to use and it's called, "Hooger". I think it might be local slang.

You say it, "Who-ger"

Anyone ever heard of it? I have been interested to know if it's a just a local thing.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  14. phatboy

phatboy New Member

What does it stand for? What does it mean?

Can you use it in a sentence?

:)

15. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

It's like the male version of a skank.

"Did you see that guy in the camaro?"

"Yeah, he was a total hooger."

I really think it's local slang.

16. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

God forbid someone see me in this they may think I'm a hooger. :rolleyes:

17. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Maybe, but it's more like the 80's models. Like if you saw a really trashy beat up one and some mullet headed guy driving it. He'd be called a hooger.

I could be spelling it wrong, but I don't know how else to spell it.

Basically a hooger is a dirtbag.

I remember in high school kids would play with the hackey sack thing after school and I named it hoogerball because it was always hoogers playing it.

18. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Hey, and where the hell do you live? Laserland? What are those red and orange things across the street?

19. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

I slowed the shutter speed down to like 10 seconds so if a car drove by it was invisible. Well except for the lights.

20. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You mean like Joe Dirt.