Stale as hell pictures

Discussion in 'Complaints, Requests and Suggestions.' started by Withing, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Withing

Withing New Member

What the hells going on with Fugly lately? Has there been some huge surge in members who have never seen an internet before? Or has the intarweb finally run out of funny?? Lately it seems every picture posted is one I remember seeing like 5 years ago, most of 'em probably on FUGLY!

(if I weren't so lazy I'd do some kind of exhaustive search of the hundreds of pages of images and find all the identical matches between the ones in the 100s and the ones in the 400s or whatever)

Have we lost our way? I could always count on Fugly in the past for fresh, interesting pictures, almost entirely free of bukkake. Now I gotta wade through 19 of the most ancient little pics just to maybe find 1 new one! Is it me? Have I lived too long? Seen it all? Nothing new under the sun? HOW CAN WE GET THE MAGIC BACK1!???

-Withing

2. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

For starters, you could cease to be a troll and actually contribute to the forum...

Nothing quite like a disgruntled leech...

3. Withing

Withing New Member

Yeah, okay...sorry for being a loyal fan for years, generating ad revenue and all but never taking time to chat. Long time listener, first time caller, etc. So maybe this is the first thing thats got me motivated enough to register and post. Does that make it not true, or not important?

Instead of just dismissing my first attempt to 'contribute to the forum', could you maybe spare even a sentence regarding what you think about the issue raised? Haven't you, for example, seen just about every variation of the 'Priceless' pictures long ago? I'm just askin'.

If I'm the only one plagued by a terrible sense of deja vu, then I'll shut up again and go play somewhere else. I'm only asking, is anyone else noticing this, and is there anything we can do to make it better?
    -Withing

4. Dwaine Scum

Dwaine Scum New Member

why yes, there is a thing you can do, drink a tall glass, or tasty, refreshing bleach.

5. Withing

Withing New Member

This is why I loves the internet so much...always full of insightful, friendly and helpful advice. But whats the top image on the picture page right now? Jean Guichard's photo of the La Jument lighthouse with the wave crashing around it. Granted, the picture is cool as hell, but it was taken in 1989, for chrissakes. Its been all over the internet, in several major magazines, and you can probably find a nice big print of it at your local Deck the Walls or whoever sells the socially-acceptable, widely known pop-art prints in your area.

Now, I know a lot of major news portals recycle a lot of content, run their 'help kids be safe at the pool' piece every year when the weather starts getting warmer...is that maybe whats going on? Somebody raided their old image folder and put up a few favorites for nostalgia? Sharing them like the pool safety story, because its useful, people sometimes need to be reminded, and there are always some who are actually hearing it for the first time. And its a good thing, because if I hadn't seen that warning on safe use of household chemicals (like bleach) recently, I 'd be really screwed right now, because I trust youse guys and believe you have a sincere desire to help, and you'd never do something like just pick on the new guy because its easier and more fun than dealing with the question.

So I know theres a lot of pictures out there that are always new to some, and reposts happen, it just seems to be getting thicker lately. Hey, you've both been here for years, helped build the culture of the place and the sense of humor that is a big part of why I keep coming back. I'm not trying to barge in here like a bullshit in a china shop, just wondering if there's anything we can do to make this fine site a more productive way to waste time.:biggrin:
    -Withing

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Find me that picture of the guy standing on a wall, spewing diarrhea like a fire hydrant...

7. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

"That guy" is your dad. Why don't you check your family photo album?

8. Withing

Withing New Member

A challenge! But I am confronted by the Zen-like nature of a short, poetic post. Is it an initiation, a test I must pass before I will be taken seriously? Perhaps a nod to my awesome picture-tracking-downingness abilities? Or just a suggestion of a more productive, goal-oriented way to waste time? Perhaps you're in cahoots with the bleach guy, and you've hit upon a devious way to get me to start seriously considering his suggestion as a welcome alternative to what I would find were I so foolish as to do an image search with key words like spewing, diarrhea, and fire hydrant!

Golly...quite a dilemma...but I'd hate to miss my chance, or to disappoint...
    Perhaps this will be an acceptable offering?

http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/hydrant.jpg

It may not be everything you asked for, but its full of awesome. And I've never seen it before, too! It's Nguyen-Nguyen!

Getting back to the picture thing, maybe I can get the ball rolling by offering a couple of probably wildly impractical ideas as a jumping off point. Short of one of the programs designed to analyze images and discard duplicates (which wouldn't help anyway with images that were old but perhaps had never been hosted here), what about making images voting enabled, and if say half or more of the first 10 people to look at it say they've seen it before, it gets moved to a sub-gallery of some kind, like "New, but Old". Thoughts?
    -Withing

9. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

Impressive spelling and grammar.

10. Withing

Withing New Member

I orthographize because I care. I think the young people really enjoy it when I "get down" verbally, don't you?

11. Joeslogic

Joeslogic Active Member

You honestly did not like my shark picture? Really? Please say it is not so because I was quite impressed by it myself. Surely it is an exception to your critical analysis.

12. ucicare

ucicare Active Member

I like to ornitholigize. It makes me happy.

13. Nauseous

Nauseous Active Member

Nuthin' on the top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about berdsss.

14. MAJ Havoc

MAJ Havoc Active Member

I'll take "Real Genius" References for $1000, Alex.

15. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Gosh. What an intuitive idea! I never would've thought of that!

If I had, I might have even stumbled upon your 'other' profile picture:

Now, seriously. Find me that damn picture.

16. Fugly

Fugly Administrator Staff Member Fugly Staff

Find me a decent programmer who can be trusted.

17. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

...and I still sit here, without the chocolate fountain picture. :frown:

18. phatboy

phatboy New Member

You know if youd post those pictures of that tornado we'd have some new material to look at.....

19. Schmed

Schmed New Member

You didn't even try to drink a glass of bleach like Dwaine suggested did you?!? You want us to pay attention to your issue, but why should we when you won't even listen when Dwaine trys to show you the light?

20. Lomotil

Lomotil Active Member

Damn... I'd forgotten about them... Pity - they were going to be really funny, too.